www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:24 pm 
Dolphin

OK , dewinterized the boat today (98 vista 258) . Did everything just like I always do . Turned the key over and nothing happens . The batterys were on a maintenance charger all winter but I checked them anyway and they are fine . When I turn the key the gauges work and for a couple of seconds something on the engine runs (fuel pump ?) . There is no clicking or even acting like it is trying to start . Could it be thinking it is in gear ? How can I check that ? Any suggestions ? thanks , keith .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Safety lanyard is off

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:03 pm 

Or a circuit breaker tripped.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:48 pm 
Dolphin

I found 5 red buttons on the engine and pushed all of them . Are these the circuit breakers you are referring to ? thanks. keith .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:57 am 

It does sound like the safety switch/lanyard - have you removed and reattached the clip?

For breakers, you may also have the mystery black rubber button on your dash - try pressing that to see if that helps!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:34 am 

EvilZ wrote:
It does sound like the safety switch/lanyard - have you removed and reattached the clip?

For breakers, you may also have the mystery black rubber button on your dash - try pressing that to see if that helps!

Good luck!

I think this is the button that Evil is referring to:

I was not sure what it did and inquired in this forum some time ago.

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:03 am 
Dolphin

Thanks for your help guys . Wife is freakin out cause we planned this weekend out boating , finally got GREAT weather and it's a no go . I really don't think it's the lanyard . I've never removed it , also , I had a crownline before and almost ran my battery down trying to start it before I realized the lanyard was off , so the motor was turning but wouldn't fire . Do some lanyard switches prevent the starter from engaging ? It really is acting like a boat would when you try to start it in gear . Thanks for your input , Keith .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:32 am 

When my lanyard is off or even slightly dislodged, my motor doesn't even turn over - much like what you are describing....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am 

Try taking the lanyard OFF, then putting it back on. If you have pushed all the breakers (red ones and the one on the dash), then try moving the shifter/throttle back and forth to ensure it is "seated" in neutral. Last resort, try wiggling the key in the ignition, turn it on/off/on/off a few times.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 am 

It is possible that the last time you ran it you shut the engine off in gear and then shifted the lever to Neutral? There is a neutral safety switch in the shift/throttle control that won't let it start if it thinks the gear shift is in fwd or rev. If you shut off in gear and then don't get it back in Neutral just so it can happen. Back when I didn't know how to properly adjust my Cobra shift system, every now and then it would not go into neutral unless I shut off the engine (that was many years ago, now it shifts with 2 fingers LOL). If I was not careful about not putting it properly back into neutral it would not crank. I would try that first. Then you can troubleshoot if you are getting voltage at the starter solenoid. First hook up a volt meter from the big stud that gets the hot from the battery and a ground. You should have 12 volts there as long as the batt switch is on. Then, hook up the voltmeter positive lead to the small connection on the starter solenoid (often a yellow or yellow striped wire). Hook up the neg volt meter lead to a ground. Then have some try to crank it over with the key (make sure you are not right next to the drive belt then LOL). If you get no voltage there then your problem is likely between the ig switch and the starter. It could be the switch, the neutral safety switch in the shifter/throttle control, or an assist solenoid if your model uses one. Another test you can do to bypass all that wiring to test the starter is this: go to an auto parts store and buy a remote starter switch. This is basically a pushbutton switch with 2 wire leads attached. You hook up one lead to the small terminal on the starter (Yellow or yellow striped wire) and the other to the large positive terminal on the starter that comes from the battery. When you push the button in, this puts 12V directly to the start terminal. If the engine cranks then, your problem is upstream in the other items I mentioned. The gauges all work, trim works, etc? That would rule out the fuses in the main engine harness.

Back in the old days we would short a screwdriver from the big plus terminal to the small ig terminal on the solenoid. But that is dangerous and can make sparks which you don't do on inboard boats.
We also used to make our own remote starter switches, with simple push button switch, 2 wires and alligator clips.

You need to get a Volvo or Merc wiring diagram and trace the problem back to the source. It could be something real simple but not obvious. Make sure that shifter REALLY is in NEUTRAL.

READ THIS:

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o ... 67035.html

I just replaced the 16 year old original starter on my old 98 Jeep which is now my son's. We pretty much knew the starter was bad but I was relieved when I checked for voltage at the small ignition terminal and found 12 volts...that way we knew for sure it was the starter (easy to replace) not the wiring (not so easy to trace). Changing the starter on a Jeep 4.0 six is about as easy as it gets...even on a 25 degree day about a month ago...I had to keep the heater running on my other Jeep to keep warming up my fingers LOL....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:48 pm 
Dolphin

OK thanks for all the input , that's why I love this site . I turned the Key and held it while I gently moved the shifter from forward to neutral to reverse and back again . On the third time the engine cranked as it went to the neutral position . It started right up and purred like a kitten . Again THANKS FOR THE HELP !!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:04 pm 

LouC wrote:
It is possible that the last time you ran it you shut the engine off in gear.....

LouC strikes again. I know this one was a no-brainer but you are either 100 years old or have screwed up enough boats to live and talk about it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:19 pm 

Been there....and done that....
Those remote control shifters can get a bit clunky when they get old and sometimes all it takes is someone leaning against the throttle and then the switch thinks you're in gear.

Alls well that ends well....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:37 am 

298VISTA2000 wrote:
LouC wrote:
It is possible that the last time you ran it you shut the engine off in gear.....

LouC strikes again. I know this one was a no-brainer but you are either 100 years old or have screwed up enough boats to live and talk about it.

+1 On that one, LouC has saved me a bundle on my boat. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:38 am 

schoolsOut wrote:
EvilZ wrote:

Good luck!

I think this is the button that Evil is referring to:

I was not sure what it did and inquired in this forum some time ago.

Had no idea what that button was for, learn something new every single day.