www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Galvanic Isolator
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

I'm getting a slow flashing red light on my electrical panel showing a Galvanic Isolator fault. I noticed it a while back and have been trying to identify exactly when it's happening. I checked over the weekend and with the boat sitting in a cove with nothing running the light is flashing. Oddly enough when I was back in our slip connected to shore power I took a look and it seemed to be off. The manual doesn't give me a lot of information and what I find online is somewhat confusing. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this and can tell me what to check before I dig too deeply into this issue.

Post subject: Re: Galvanic Isolator
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:27 pm 

Flyer51 wrote:
I'm getting a slow flashing red light on my electrical panel showing a Galvanic Isolator fault. I noticed it a while back and have been trying to identify exactly when it's happening. I checked over the weekend and with the boat sitting in a cove with nothing running the light is flashing. Oddly enough when I was back in our slip connected to shore power I took a look and it seemed to be off. The manual doesn't give me a lot of information and what I find online is somewhat confusing. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this and can tell me what to check before I dig too deeply into this issue.

Mine does the same; the moment shore power is connected up and switched on it stops flashing. It's normal, the dealer told me.

If you need to get at the galvanic isolator, it's behind the AC panel control .

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 pm 

yep!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:58 pm 

Thanks guys! I thought so but wanted to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 pm 

Mine does this too. Exactly the same, as the red light goes away completely once plugged into shore power. Flyer, did yours not used to do that before or did you just now notice it? I thought it was normal as the surveyor did not mention this as a problem.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:50 pm 

hutch9900 wrote:
Mine does this too. Exactly the same, as the red light goes away completely once plugged into shore power. Flyer, did yours not used to do that before or did you just now notice it? I thought it was normal as the surveyor did not mention this as a problem.

My 2009 278 had so many strange electrical issues that when the dealer told me something was normal, I believed him ! I's like someone got fed up when they built it and at 16:00 on a Friday afternoon thought "that's good enough" !

Abnormal things:
-Forward bilge pump and float auto switch sub system wiring that could never have worked ( +12V and ground were always connected to the pump so it was always on). Disconnected, To be sorted !
-Phantom sub 12V supply to the forward bilge pump switch, not supplied by the forward bilge pump breaker. Not sorted, but disconnected
-Miswiring at the cockpit light switch at the helm; those lights always on; sorted
-Phantom sub 12V supply to the cockpit light switch in the cabin, so they were always on at a low level; not sorted yet, but disconnected.
-Stereo amplifier connected to the engine battery, yet the stereo head unit connected to the systems battery.

Continual drain on the systems battery led to the D4 EVC system losing it's calibration; when it detects such a fault, well, it's not very pleasant or user friendly !

FW seem incapable or unwilling to provide wiring schematics for post 2006 Vista 278s.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:12 pm 

The way mine is wired up, mine is only lit up when I have the panel lights on. Not sure if your 278 has panel lights or not...I don't think my 268 did.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:02 am 

firecadet613 wrote:
The way mine is wired up, mine is only lit up when I have the panel lights on. Not sure if your 278 has panel lights or not...I don't think my 268 did.

I do have panel lights on mine. I will check into that and see if that is the case or not.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH