www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 New Batteries
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hi all

I have purchased a used Vista 248 ,and among the things I would like done before I put her in the water is 2 new batteries.
What types and size would you recommend if buying new (bear in mind I'm in Europe so the actual names may not mean much ! )
Is it worth having more than 2?

would 2 of these be a good choice for example?

https://www.francobordo.com/victron-ene ... 8d56e9a32c

any help appreciated !

Thanks

25th Anniversary edition
Volvo Penta Engine and Outdrive

Post subject: Re: 2 New Batteries
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:32 pm 

In that application I would use a pair of group 27 dual purpose batteries.
But I see they are sold by ampere rating.
Here we go by Group #, marine cranking amps and reserve capacity amps...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:47 pm 

Yes , group 27 isn't used as a term here, though I have found what that means on a webpage it looks like 90AH ?
What about Gel vs AGM ..thats a new one to me !
what would be best for the 2 new batteries for my application?

thanks

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:23 pm 

I would go with AGM type. They give you high amps in starting and can act as a deep cycle too. The bigger thing were is, "what do you plan on doing with the boat?" Meaning, over night and long weekend trips. Or just mainly day trips. Some of us have installed more than one house battery for longer trips.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:05 pm 

Thanks ,
yes mainly day trips but I certainly plan some overnights/weekends , where I would like to use the tv, charge some things up etc etc.... A second house battery I think may be a good idea....
I even toyed with the idea of an inverter - something like this maybe .
https://www.portablepowertech.com/produ ... r-charger/ but maybe thats for the future after I see what my requirements actually are.

I guess battery 3 would just sit in parallel with battery 2.
if I bought 2 new AGMS would it be a problem to use one of the current boat batteries (not sure of the type yet) as battery 3 , or should ideally they all be new and of the same type.

Appreciate the help !

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:12 pm 

Here are some specs of batteries sold here in the US....

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp ... t-0194.pdf

Marine Master is their conventional line of lead acid batteries (I used the gp 27 dual purpose model in this category)

Intimidator is the AGM version

Dominator is the gell version

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 pm 

I run 3 batteries in my 268. My starting battery is a dual purpose deep cycle. For a starting battery you do not need deep cycle as it should be isolated to only run the starter and ignition. If you do go deep cycle for the starter it should be a dual purpos not jut a deep cycle.

For my house batteries I have 2-12 volt, but will be replacing with 2-6 volt batteries in the spring.

I have only ever owned led acid batteries, and will likely not buy AGM's or Gel's until I am forced to. The simple reason is I don't typically own toys long enough to see the return on investment on anything above and beyond the led acids. It is my understanding that the biggest reason to buy the others is because they are tougher and last longer. You should be able to get 5 years out of a well cared for led acid at a minimum.

If you do decide to go led acid make sure you have a good onboard charger, and keep them on a charger in the off season as well. After the deep cycle is drawn down, like at the end of a weekend, don't wate too long to get it a charger on it.

For the sake of buying a second house battery down the road, so long as both batteries are same size and both in good condition you shouldn't have an issue. It would be an issue if you had a weak battery in the group. The strong battery will only charge and perform as well as the weak one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:46 am 

Really interesting info - thanks
Alex, when you say you isolate the starter battery, have you changed the wiring from the 1/2 both situation which is fitted to the boat as I understand it?
If so how do you isolate it ?

Im also interested why you would choose 6 volt batteries (presumably golf cart batteries or the like in series)

The onboard charger is interesting
I would assume that on shore power , the batteries are NOT being charged unless a charger is added by the owner inline somehow...is that correct.
Seems a good idea to have the batteries being charged when its on shore power..are there disadvantages to that in life of batteries etc?
What would a typical charger be and how is it connected?

sorry for all the questions ..this is all new to me .. ! :-)

thanks again

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 am 

wakevortex wrote:
Really interesting info - thanks
Alex, when you say you isolate the starter battery, have you changed the wiring from the 1/2 both situation which is fitted to the boat as I understand it?
If so how do you isolate it ?

Im also interested why you would choose 6 volt batteries (presumably golf cart batteries or the like in series)

The onboard charger is interesting
I would assume that on shore power , the batteries are NOT being charged unless a charger is added by the owner inline somehow...is that correct.
Seems a good idea to have the batteries being charged when its on shore power..are there disadvantages to that in life of batteries etc?
What would a typical charger be and how is it connected?

sorry for all the questions ..this is all new to me .. ! :-)

thanks again

Four Winns has setup your boat to have the starting battery isolated from the house battery and systems. A quick check can be done to see what runs off each battery by only connecting one battery at a time and see what components work. Also, you have an isolator between the alternator and the two batteries that allows the single alternator to charge both batteries, but will not allow one battery to drain the other, kind of like a back flow preventer. The switch allows you to join the two batteries in case of emergency where you need the house battery to start the motor. Be careful because it will also allow you use the starting battery to run the house systems.

I believe your boat was equipped with a charger from factory as well. Perhaps another 248 owner can chime in. When your boat is docked and hooked up to shore power the charger should be on. This is a smart charger that will not over charge and will properly maintain the battery. My OEM charger didn't work when I got the boat so I replaced it with a new one.

The advantage of 2-6v over 2-12v is a 6v can have a higher amp hour rating than a 12v of the same size.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 pm 

Really useful info Alex - thanks

sounds like the battery system is better thought through than I assumed...excellent !
It would be great if the shore power DOES charge the batteries when hooked up - I will grab an old manual and see what it says, unless a 248 owner can chip in here (mine is year 2000)

appreciate the help . I want to make sure I get this right to make it as hassle free as possible while its out of the water , so we can have some fun with the new purchase when it goes in Marchtime.
( I do still have some more questions in other areas though LOL )

thanks again :-)

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:02 pm 

Adding more than one battery for the house battery bank is usually best done by matching identical batteries (size, model, and age). The battery charger should be charging both battery banks when shore power is plugged in. On my 268 the battery charger is controlled by the circuit breaker switch for the charger and refrigerator on the 110 volt AC panel. You can verify both battery banks are being charged by the battery charger by using a volt meter on each battery bank. A fully charged battery should read approx 12.7 volts. When the battery charger is operating correctly, the voltage should be at least 13 volts, and usually 13.2 or so. At times the charger may charge at the rate of up to 14.7 volts. Have a look at the Four Winns website in the Customer Service area for the owners manual.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

Last edited by Surface Interval on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:15 pm 

Looks like I may be in luck...from the 248/268 manual for that year

looks like the 248 is the same as the 268 and as you suggest it does charge the batteries when connected to shore power

good news !

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:37 pm 

wakevortex wrote:
Looks like I may be in luck...from the 248/268 manual for that year

looks like the 248 is the same as the 268 and as you suggest it does charge the batteries when connected to shore power

good news !

Double check and make sure, you don't know what the last owner has done. If you go to AGM the charger needs to be set to that battery type.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:29 am 

Interesting info... How exactly is that set to tell the charger the type of batteries attached ? And what if the starter was say lead acid and the house an agm or gel?

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:47 pm 

you have to set the battery charger for the type of battery. You might want to check the manual or go with the more conservative setting when mixing battery types.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon