www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cockpit Fridge issue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

We have two fridges in our boat, a galley fridge and a cockpit fridge. Both fridges have the option of running on DC when we are away from the dock and we leave both fridges running on AC while at the dock.

While plugged into shore power this past weekend I noticed that the cockpit fridge would not run while on AC. Our boat was on blocks, but with us spending the night on the boat, I did plug in the shore power and turned both fridges on. Since our cockpit fridge has the little freezer compartment in the top of the fridge you can normally feel the freezer compartment to start getting cold within about 5 minutes.

Since the cockpit fridge didn't want to work on AC I switched it over to DC in the galley electrical panel and the cockpit fridge worked on DC?

So my question is, I wonder what would be the most likely cause of this cockpit fridge to not work on AC? Any guesses I could check out before asking my marina to look at it?

Thanks.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

Post subject: Re: Cockpit Fridge issue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:12 pm 

Interesting. I'm having issues with my cockpit fridge as well. I'm going to pull it out this weekend. Last summer, some weekends it work, others it wouldn't.

I keep by my AC and DC switches on all the time. Let me know what you find out.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:01 pm 

My cockpit fridge is only 12dc, not dual voltage. Also another friend of mine has a 328 and his is only 12v as well

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 pm 

txvista wrote:
Interesting. I'm having issues with my cockpit fridge as well. I'm going to pull it out this weekend. Last summer, some weekends it work, others it wouldn't.

My wiring for the 12v was not big enough, I ran 10guage wire fused directly to the battery and mounted an on/off switch in the lounge area storage compartment

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:54 pm 
Shark

Most fridges have an AC to DC inverter in the back. They actually run the compressor on DC voltage. My guess is the inverter behind the fridge has gone out.
Pull the fridge out and you will see the inverter mounted on the back. Check voltages on the input and output of the inverter.
You should be able to buy a new inverter if that is the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 am 

acguy wrote:
My cockpit fridge is only 12dc, not dual voltage. Also another friend of mine has a 328 and his is only 12v as well

When we leave our boat to return home on a Sunday afternoon, I shut down all DC breakers and power in the galley electrical panel and I also turn off the ships system breaker (the one beside the twin battery switches, starboard side of boat above engine hatch). The only breakers left on in the galley electrical panel are in the top AC portion of the electrical panel and they are the battery charger, the one AC breaker for the galley refrigerator and the one AC breaker for the cockpit fridge. So both fridges run off of shore power when we are away from the boat.

When we leave the dock for an afternoon of boating, all AC breakers get turned off and I turn on the DC breakers for the galley fridge and cockpit fridge. I think some 328's came with the cockpit fridge being an ice maker as well as a fridge and there was an option for the cockpit fridge to be a fridge and freezer combination (which we have).

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 am 

txvista wrote:

I thought about leaving my DC switches on for the fridges full time and the only reason why I don't is sometimes our marina has power failures from storms etc., and that would mean our fridges would transfer from AC to DC power and I didn't want to run the risk on running our house batteries flat in the event that the power was off for a day or two. We normally only leave drinks and condiments in the fridges when we leave the boat and bring fresh food down with us on weekends, so not much risk to lose food if the hydro goes out for a while. I'm probably just being overly cautious though with the battery concern.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

Last edited by Decision on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:47 am 

TheDanceII wrote:
Most fridges have an AC to DC inverter in the back. They actually run the compressor on DC voltage. My guess is the inverter behind the fridge has gone out.
Pull the fridge out and you will see the inverter mounted on the back. Check voltages on the input and output of the inverter.
You should be able to buy a new inverter if that is the problem.

Thanks that's good to know. I'd like my cockpit fridge to be back working on AC.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am 

Decision wrote:
txvista wrote:

I thought about leaving my DC switches on for the fridges full time and the only reason why I don't is sometimes our marina has power failures from storms etc., and that would mean our fridges would transfer from AC to DC power and I didn't want to run the risk on running our house batteries flat in the event that the power was off for a day or two. We normally only leave drinks and condiments in the fridges when we leave the boat and bring fresh food down with us on weekends, so not much risk to lose food if the hydro goes out for a while. I'm probably just being overly cautious though with the battery concern.

It's also slightly risky in the fact that if the fridge drains the house battery(s) usually the bilge pumps run off the same house battery(s) and you would not have any power to run them.
I always turn my DC off when I leave for this fact and the fact that some electronics are always powered when the switch is on which is unnecessary. All I need is bilge pumps and radio clock which are hard wired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:07 am 

Just another thought, but I've had a similar situation on my boat, where the cockpit fridge was not running on AC power, and discovered that the GFCI outlet above the fridge (not the one the fridge is plugged into inside the cabinet) had its breaker popped. They are apparently on the same circuit, so, once I reset the breaker on the GFCI, the fridge ran fine on AC.. If you have a GFCI outlet near your fridge, that may be the culprit..

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:42 am 

TFD2001 wrote:
Just another thought, but I've had a similar situation on my boat, where the cockpit fridge was not running on AC power, and discovered that the GFCI outlet above the fridge (not the one the fridge is plugged into inside the cabinet) had its breaker popped. They are apparently on the same circuit, so, once I reset the breaker on the GFCI, the fridge ran fine on AC.. If you have a GFCI outlet near your fridge, that may be the culprit..

Thanks for that reply. I wondered about my GFCI receptacle effecting my cockpit fridge because I do have a receptacle that is located close to the cockpit fridge (about 1 foot up from floor and about a foot away from cockpit fridge) but I stuck my volt meter probes into that outlet last weekend and it had AC voltage there and the cockpit fridge was not working. I have always wondered if that receptacle was factory original or if the one owner before me had that receptacle added? I don't think I have seen other 328's with a receptacle in that location but I may be wrong? It would make sense to me that the outlet is on the same AC line feed to the cockpit fridge and we have had that GFCI receptacle pop before especially in colder weather when we plug in a ceramic heater into that outlet?

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:42 pm 
Seahorse

"Hour Decision" On our 328 there are no cockpit AC outlets.
This is something I have been wanting to add the last two years. Install just above the fridge. My intent was to spice into the fridge wiring already there. Since this was not a factory install maybe just leave things alone and not look for trouble.

Our boat still in storage at Maple City but certainly very eager to get out and paint the bottom and Buff Hull before placing in water.

Were at Lighthouse Cove quite often with friends have a cottage and boat ("Derpiciating Asset" there and now my sister just bought a cottage that they take over in August. Bit of a surprise with my sister since they don't own a boat nor have any intent in purchasing one. Guess just for the sunsets and the dock stays empty.

Anyways, see you on the Lake this summer.

2006 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee
1977 Stracraft 25, Hardtop
1957 Yellow Rubber Ducky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:15 pm 

Jus Laxin wrote:
"Hour Decision" On our 328 there are no cockpit AC outlets.
This is something I have been wanting to add the last two years. Install just above the fridge. My intent was to spice into the fridge wiring already there. Since this was not a factory install maybe just leave things alone and not look for trouble.

Our boat still in storage at Maple City but certainly very eager to get out and paint the bottom and Buff Hull before placing in water.

Were at Lighthouse Cove quite often with friends have a cottage and boat ("Derpiciating Asset" there and now my sister just bought a cottage that they take over in August. Bit of a surprise with my sister since they don't own a boat nor have any intent in purchasing one. Guess just for the sunsets and the dock stays empty.

Anyways, see you on the Lake this summer.

Where our cockpit outlet is located, it is very handy and actually a smart place to have one. I'll bet then that the previous owner of our 328 did have my cockpit outlet installed. My wife and son can plug their laptops into that outlet while on any of the cockpit seating areas, nice to be able to plug in a table lamp or heater or any other reasonably sized AC device. I think the factory should of installed one there.

I'll drop around and say hi if I spot you out and about the Lake St. Clair waters again this summer.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:24 pm 

Yeah, my 328 only has one in the cockpit that is behind the refrig. My buddy has a 2005 328, and he has one that is accessible.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:29 pm 

Yep, pretty sure mine is factory on my 2004? It's above the fridge, below the countertop (protected by it)..

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold