www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:38 pm 
Guppy

Good afternoon everyone. Over the winter I replaced my ignition switch because I broke off a lead from it but it appears that I misplaced a wire perhaps. The boat starts and runs perfectly, however when I turn the ignition switch to off, the boat does not shut off. The previous switch worked fine before I broke it and unfortunately I did not take pictures of the switch but I don't know what wire is incorrect now. I have a 1994 Four Winns Horizon 190. This is a 4 post ignition switch. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:36 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm looking at the wiring harness for the '94 Sportboat on the F/W website trying to figure this out...how many terminals are on the back of your switch? In the schematic it looks like three terminals just like mine, B=(battery, Purple/Red wire), I=(Ignition, Purple wire), S=(Start, Yellow/Red wire)...the one left over one you probably have must be the ACC wire (accessory) but its not in the '94 schematic, or in the '95-97 either. Anyway hook up the three wires as I have listed here and then the one left over goes to the acc terminal....
Did yours come with 4 terminal switch orginally? From the schematics it does not appear to be the case. Is this an I/O, the reason why I ask is because the OB models have a different ignition switch with different positions...

http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documen ... orboat.pdf

http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documen ... rtboat.pdf

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:02 am 

Did you ever figure this out? Sounded like you have the wire feeding battery current to the switch hooked up to the ignition terminal. The B(battery) terminal has 12v all the time; the I(ignition) terminal only when the key is in the on and start positions. The S (Start) terminal has power only when you turn the key to start.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 am 
Guppy

This appears to be very helpful, identifying wire color to the specific terminal. No, I do not believe the original had 4 terminals on it, think it had 3. I have several accessories I wanted to be able to use the switch with was my original thought process. I wont have access to the boat until I return from my vacation but I will be printing off what has been discussed so far for my reference when I get the opportunity to get back under the dashboard to figure this out. Thank you for your assistance, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will update as posts occur or when I make the repair and let the forum know what the problem was. Again, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:06 pm 
Guppy

So silly mistake. Went under there, messed around with the wires. Finally working configuration/unsure of specific terminal names without looking again, that the 2 purple wires needed to be together along with 1 of the kill switch wires, and the other kill switch wire went to a different terminal. Turns out that the way I had it configured was backwards with 2 kill switch wires together, and the 2 purple wires separated on different terminals. Case closed.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:18 pm 

Thanks for the follow up, it may help someone else!

2008 Walker Bay 8