www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sorry for all the questions lately but I want to make sure I know exactly what I am doing before I start ordering wire and deciding on placement.

Here is the example wiring diagram they include. On the diagram that came with my kit they label the top left item "Accessories"

It looks like on the diagram they are showing some sort of breaker box. All I am adding is a second battery and a single audio amplifier. Will I simply connect the amp directly to that upper left post on the switch? (fused of course).

Also, and this is probably sad, but how do all of the other electronics in the boat wire to the battery? Right now on my single battery setup there is only a negative wire that goes directly to a ground and the positive that goes directly to the starter. When I add the second battery and switch will I need to re-wire the other electronics in the boat to go to the accessory post, or is it all smart enough to run the starting battery as a starting battery only and everything else will switch over to the house battery?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:58 pm 

formulax wrote:

It looks like on the diagram they are showing some sort of breaker box. All I am adding is a second battery and a single audio amplifier. Will I simply connect the amp directly to that upper left post on the switch? (fused of course).

Also, and this is probably sad, but how do all of the other electronics in the boat wire to the battery? Right now on my single battery setup there is only a negative wire that goes directly to a ground and the positive that goes directly to the starter. When I add the second battery and switch will I need to re-wire the other electronics in the boat to go to the accessory post, or is it all smart enough to run the starting battery as a starting battery only and everything else will switch over to the house battery?

Thanks!

Ok

basically you are doing what i did but i added 2 batteries for my house bank.

1) LEFT rear post so you will disregard the breaker panel and think of that as your resettable breaker for the AMP(s) then a long lead to the amps.
2) LEFT upper post goes to your existing fuse panel that feeds your switches and gauges.

this leaves only the motor pulling power from the starting battery. run the stereo dead and just turnt he key and your start battery fires the engine.

WIRE your bilge pump to the start battery so that if for some reason house goes dead and you take on water bilge still has power. This will be the only change in wiring that you will need to do. You will simply wire the hot constant float to the start battery and that was it. The manual engage wiring stays the same as before.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
1) LEFT rear post so you will disregard the breaker panel and think of that as your resettable breaker for the AMP(s) then a long lead to the amps.
2) LEFT upper post goes to your existing fuse panel that feeds your switches and gauges.

Sooo, still confused. In the diagram they show the LEFT LOWER post going to the house battery, the LEFT UPPER going to the fuse panel... So I'm not sure if I follow your suggestion. Should the upper left go to my factory fuse panel (I believe this is under my dash). Would my amp also connect to that post or should I just wire the amp to the house battery post?

Also, another dumb question: but for the ACR post A&B it gives a chart to determine wire and fuse size based off of charging amps. I assume this is the output of the alternator correct? How can I confirm how many amps my alternator is?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 pm 

Quote:
"Accessories"

That represents anything you would want to have on while the engine is off, like audio. Everything else would be ont he side of the switch with the engine picture.

Rather than using left right upper lower. When you look at the back of the switch, one pair of posts is labeled as 1 and the other pair is labeled as 2. One pair is for the engine side and the other pair is for the accessories. Just wire it symmetrically.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:57 pm 

I was just out looking around in the boat, and I have absolutely no idea how to wire the existing accessories to the switch. Under the dash is the fuse panel with about 100 other wires. From there they are all routed throughout the boat. Looking in the engine bay there are several wires coming into the area but I have no way of knowing what is what. Am I a making this too hard?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 pm 

You should have a big battery cable that runs from the starter to the positive post on the battery. You should also have a smaller red wire with a large (most likely 50a) about a 8ga wire that runs to the dash fuse panel. That red positive that goes to the dash is the wire that should be on the top left. Take pictures if need be. I have this unit in my boat wired and if I need to take pictures of the wiring and draw labels to help I can.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:08 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
You should also have a smaller red wire with a large (most likely 50a) about a 8ga wire that runs to the dash fuse panel.

Thanks, that is helpful. I remember when I was looking around seeing a couple of other wires coming out of the starter besides the battery cable. I'll go look again.

:?: I didn't quite understand the whole sentence above. Are you saying besides the battery cable there should be ONE 8ish gauge wire. Or there are THREE wires: battery, small red wire, then a 8 guage wire?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 pm 

Ok, so this is what I see on my starter. A red/yellow wire and then two other wires all wrapped in black. It is really hard to see down there but it looks like the two black wires head towards the back of the motor. Is it the red/yellow wire I am after?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:51 pm 

I'm thinking that yellow wire might be the ignition...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:58 pm 

Yeah, that red/yellow is from the key switch to the solenoid. Those other two look to just have a black vinyl jacket on them and likely terminate to the main starter post with the large red cable from the battery. One could be trim motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 pm 

Ok, so the photo shows the starter, it is hard to see here because the battery cable is blocking the posts. But the big red cable with the cover is the battery cable, this goes directly to the battery. The other two black wrapped wires are on the same post as the battery cable. Is one of those going to be my fuse panel wire that I need to move over to my battery switch, or do those two wires terminate somewhere where my fuse block panel will also be mounted?

I feel like Michael Scott being told about the surplus. :lol: https://vimeo.com/27060669

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:25 pm 

I just re-read you reply again Wylie... So are we thinking that one could be for trim while the other is to the fuse panel?

Should I just make this easier by not worrying about this? I am putting in a new head unit, I can wire that power directly to the house side along with the amp. I guess if someone leaves the blower or a light on by accident it would be nice to have those on the house battery as well...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:33 pm 

Would not use it. First off, you can not start your engine on ether battery alone. If the 1st battery is almost dead, the 2nd battery can discharge into the first one. By starting the engine on ether battery, this will tell you that the battery is in good shape. With this system, you will never know until its to late.

A dual battery set-up is cheaper and better. It gives you full control. Later you can add a battery combiner to charge both no matter how the switch is set.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 am 

Ok, I think I may have found it.

Those two black wrapped sets of wires head back to this plate on the back of the motor. There is the 50amp fuse and a red/purple wire, I am hoping that is what I am looking for. If that is the case... I would just disconnect it from this plate and connect it to the house side of my switch correct?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:52 am 

Paul I. wrote:
Would not use it. First off, you can not start your engine on ether battery alone. If the 1st battery is almost dead, the 2nd battery can discharge into the first one. By starting the engine on ether battery, this will tell you that the battery is in good shape. With this system, you will never know until its to late.

A dual battery set-up is cheaper and better. It gives you full control. Later you can add a battery combiner to charge both no matter how the switch is set.

Not sure I follow all of what you are saying. I currently am going from a single battery to a dual battery setup. The switch I purchased has 3 settings, ON, OFF & COMBINE (for emergency starting). When set to ON the ACR that came with the kit controls charging of both batteries as well as keeping starting and house loads separate. As I understand it the starting battery will only be used for starting the boat and will not be depleted if I run down my house battery.