www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am 
Tadpole

I have a 2004 Four Winns 248 Vista and here is the problem. My starter got all wet after hurricane Irma and it wouldn't engage the flywheel (it turned over, but it would not engage the engine to turn IT over). Anyway, I removed the starter and ordered another one. In the meantime....I not longer have any power (12V) anywhere on the boat, except in the red large wire that was connected to the starter motor. There are two smaller (like 4 or 6 gauge) wires that were also connected to the 'HOT' on the starter that are currently not connected. I also have no ignition, that is when I turn the key, there is no beeping to show the teat of the system. Now, in the manual it says that there is a 'ships systems' breaker (main breaker for the whole boat, except the bilge pumps and the ignition) located on the battery switch. Well, I don't see anything there, other than two small push breakers that each go to small 12V items on the battery switch panel. I have checked both batteries (both new last year) and they both read 13.4 volts )plus or minus). I have checked the ignition wire at the ignition switch (the red wire) and it is dead along with the whole dash and the interior of the boat (no lights, fresh water pump, etc). So, what am I doing wrong? Do the two black wires at the starter wire (which DO connect together when the starter is installed) actually power the rest of the 12V and the ignition as well? And, where is the 'ships systems breaker'?
Hopefully someone out there knows the answer.
Thanks,
Russ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 pm 
Livin' the Dream

thefinns1 wrote:
I have a 2004 Four Winns 248 Vista and here is the problem. My starter got all wet after hurricane Irma and it wouldn't engage the flywheel (it turned over, but it would not engage the engine to turn IT over). Anyway, I removed the starter and ordered another one. In the meantime....I not longer have any power (12V) anywhere on the boat, except in the red large wire that was connected to the starter motor. There are two smaller (like 4 or 6 gauge) wires that were also connected to the 'HOT' on the starter that are currently not connected. I also have no ignition, that is when I turn the key, there is no beeping to show the teat of the system. Now, in the manual it says that there is a 'ships systems' breaker (main breaker for the whole boat, except the bilge pumps and the ignition) located on the battery switch. Well, I don't see anything there, other than two small push breakers that each go to small 12V items on the battery switch panel. I have checked both batteries (both new last year) and they both read 13.4 volts )plus or minus). I have checked the ignition wire at the ignition switch (the red wire) and it is dead along with the whole dash and the interior of the boat (no lights, fresh water pump, etc). So, what am I doing wrong? Do the two black wires at the starter wire (which DO connect together when the starter is installed) actually power the rest of the 12V and the ignition as well? And, where is the 'ships systems breaker'?
Hopefully someone out there knows the answer.
Thanks,
Russ

My battery switch (2002 vista 268) has the ships system switch on the battery switch plate
Here is a link to a pic of one

https://goo.gl/images/bcQNYP

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:08 pm 
Clownfish

without being able to look at the wiring schematic, I would think you have it figured out. If you connect all the wires together that attach to the hot on the starter I would think you would have power to the boat. Just use a bolt the same size as the stud. At the very least it can't hurt anything as they are normally connected anyway.

1973 Starcraft 21' Chieftain 120 HP Mercruiser I/O
PADI Master Diver
IANTD Technical EANx Diver
Commercial Pilot
Flight Instructor