www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 am 
Hi just bought her and trying to get all her electrical into shape and hoping some one can help out with a couple of issues I can’t nut out!

1. Horn, it made a sound and then stopped, anyone know where it’s mounted so I can check it out?

2. Courtesy lights, only 1 out of three work, checked all globes, all good, checked voltage 12.2v at the one that works, 10.1 at the 2 that don’t. Behind the switch is only 2 wires going to the lights so there must be a join somewhere I’m thinking. Not sure what’s caused this voltage drop. Any ideas what I can check next? I’ve measured voltage at the clip in sockets.

Thanks David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:39 pm 
Sting Ray

four winns used prefab wiring harnesses that have connector plugs not designed for marine use. you probably have a bad connection somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm 
dcerra wrote:
Hi just bought her and trying to get all her electrical into shape and hoping some one can help out with a couple of issues I can’t nut out!

1. Horn, it made a sound and then stopped, anyone know where it’s mounted so I can check it out?

2. Courtesy lights, only 1 out of three work, checked all globes, all good, checked voltage 12.2v at the one that works, 10.1 at the 2 that don’t. Behind the switch is only 2 wires going to the lights so there must be a join somewhere I’m thinking. Not sure what’s caused this voltage drop. Any ideas what I can check next? I’ve measured voltage at the clip in sockets.

Thanks David

how nice of them!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm 
Shark

Hi dcerra. Did you find it ?. Could be behind the silver panel on the bow. Is on the 180

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:07 am 
Yes mate found it, it all rusted and needs replacing, trying to find the same model here so it fits in the silver vent slot.

Ended up rewiring all the lights, all working and ready for use in a few weeks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

On my old boat I found that the quality of the lights, horn, and other electrical accessories were not great. Oddly enough I took apart all the connections in the dash wiring harness (made by Medallion as were the OE instruments) and all the terminals were still in good shape, no corrosion to speak of except on the terminals of the wiring for the instruments which was easily cleaned up. The OE battery cables (junk) are long gone I replaced all of that corroded mess when I added a dual battery system about 10 years ago. A bit of dielectric grease around the terminal ends helps keep out moisture. In Australia I assume you are also in a salt water environment which makes keeping things working a bit more challenging, but since you trailer it should not be bad. My boat spends a lot of time on the mooring out in the harbor always exposed to the salt air.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:27 pm 
Thanks Lou, I also found all the connections behind the dash to have no corrosion. All the snap in connectors were also in good nick so there must have been a bad join somewhere. Didn’t want to pull the sides apart so I fished a new cable around and have all the courtesy lights working now. Hoping to locate a new horn, might need to try international eBay.