www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm 
Maybe double check the connections & be sure they are snug. I was gonna suggest the breaker for the charger but you covered that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The Guest 2620 is the charger model originally installed in the boat. Several owners have had to replace this charger, including me. Mine quit charging the house battery bank. There are in-line fuses in the battery charger wires within about 6 inches of the Battery switch). You might check these or it would be easier to connect a volt-ohm meter to each battery bank and verify that the charger is charging each bank. Compare each battery's voltage before and after turning on the charger.

This doesn't answer why the alternator is not charging the batteries though. Again, connect a Volt-Ohm meter to each battery, check battery voltage when shut down, then after you start the engine and maybe at fast idle. You said that the voltmeter showed 12 volts and then progressively less. Be aware that these voltmeters are notoriously inaccurate. Mine almost never reads more than 12 volts. Regardless of what the meter reads, it should read higher with the engine running than when shut down.

While you are in the engine compartment there is a 70 amp alternator output circuit breaker on a black 3" by 5" box inboard from the battery charger and just above the battery isolator. Verify if this CB has popped. Mine popped once. While you are there you could also use the volt-ohm meter to check voltage at the battery isolator. I understand that it is normal to see approximately a 0.5 volt less on each battery connection than on the alternator connection on this isolator. With the engine running you should see alternator output voltage 1 to 2 volts higher than battery voltage, Normally an alternator should be producing 13.9-14.7 volts. Hope this helps. Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm 

When my charger failed, the LEDs on the charger for the House battery bank did not light up. The side of the charger for the engine battery seemed to act normally. The charger plug is a different connection than a standard household 3-prong plug. You might look in the Four Winns Parts Catalog and click on the P/L 268V Wiring, then click on the camera icon for the battery charger: http://parts.fwdealer.com/Catalog/Categ ... rettyPhoto
This plug is in the engine compartment in the port side forward corner. Yes it is a pain to get to. Sorry. You will need to clip a couple tie wraps to get it to where you can reach it. I believe I clipped the power wire from the old charger and spliced it to the power wire for the new charger. I suppose you could cut the cord for the old charger and add a female 3 prong receptacle, then somehow tie the plugs together so they do not com apart later.....

I installed a NOCO Genius II two bank charger. This charger delivers a total of 20 amps, 10 amps per bank (like the OEM), and does taper off when the battery is near full charge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 am 
Surface Interval wrote:
When my charger failed, the LEDs on the charger for the House battery bank did not light up. The side of the charger for the engine battery seemed to act normally. The charger plug is a different connection than a standard household 3-prong plug. You might look in the Four Winns Parts Catalog and click on the P/L 268V Wiring, then click on the camera icon for the battery charger: http://parts.fwdealer.com/Catalog/Categ ... rettyPhoto
This plug is in the engine compartment in the port side forward corner. Yes it is a pain to get to. Sorry. You will need to clip a couple tie wraps to get it to where you can reach it. I believe I clipped the power wire from the old charger and spliced it to the power wire for the new charger. I suppose you could cut the cord for the old charger and add a female 3 prong receptacle, then somehow tie the plugs together so they do not com apart later.....

I installed a NOCO Genius II two bank charger. This charger delivers a total of 20 amps, 10 amps per bank (like the OEM), and does taper off when the battery is near full charge.

Thanks Gary. Appreciate the Genius II reference as well, I am considering this charger if mine is indeed bunk. Is it spring yet?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:25 pm 

My NOCO Genius II works fine. It delivers up to 10 amps per bank. The only issue is that it will take longer to charge our house battery bank because we have two 105 Amp Hour batteries. When the house bank is discharged to the 50% level the charger will easliy take more than 10 to 12 hours.

We are replacing our 1800 watt modified sine wave inverter with a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter-charger this spring when the boat comes home. We were never completely satisfied with the old modified sine wave inverter and how it handled the microwave, a fan, TV audio, etc. This new inverter-charger should take care of that and also deliver up to 55 amps when charging the battery. C'mon spring! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:49 pm 

Quote:
The only issue is that it will take longer to charge our house battery bank because we have two 105 Amp Hour batteries.

The 30A 3 bank will solve this. 20A to the house bank instead of 10A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm 

Agreed. The only thing I noticed with most of the chargers I researched was that the manufacturers did not recommend connecting two banks of the charger together. I assume this was because the manufacturer felt the control circuits for two banks would conflict with each other as the charging banks started to sense that the battery was nearing full charge. There was one or two that did say it could be done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 pm 

A large number of the Promainer units allow this. In reality, they state to not leave an unused bank, left hanging. Im not sure what NOCO states in their owners manual, but I have asked them in person about the scenario of 2 batteries in a bank and 3 outputs of a 3 bank charger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:36 pm 
Clownfish

Testing to see if my account works again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:15 am 

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
A large number of the Promainer units allow this. In reality, they state to not leave an unused bank, left hanging. Im not sure what NOCO states in their owners manual, but I have asked them in person about the scenario of 2 batteries in a bank and 3 outputs of a 3 bank charger.

I installed a promariner on my 258(Awesome charger). If I remember I could have 2 banks of batteries and each bank can be up to 2 batteries. I can't remember exactly but I also remember it would use all the power it had to charge whatever bank needed it. It wan't dedicated 10/10 for a 20 amp charger it would push all 20 amps to an individual bank if needed. I do remember seeing the readout maxed at 20 amps when I only had one battery selected. I am sure you can download the manual before purchasing.
They also had a remote monitor which was very nice to have in the cabin. I did not get it but our boat now has one.