www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Horn
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm curious about this too. What happened?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:56 am 
Narwhal

impulse wrote:
I'm curious about this too. What happened?

Hope to pull the boat out of storage the weekend after next. I'll bump this up on the list!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 am 
Narwhal

Mounted it. Fairly easy to do. Basically, I pulled the old horn which comes out as a standard 'drop in' unit.

Have to drill out the existing screw holes to accomodate the bolts used on the new horn - a tip for those following in my footsteps, get bolts at least a quarter inch longer than those supplied. The gasket on the dual horn is much thicker than the gasket on the stock single, the existing screws will work if one wants to spend a lot more time and effort with the install - don't ask me how I know.

Dual horn wired up.

Inside view after install.

Outside view (no apparent change).

The new dual sounds fantastic. I couldn't be happier. Only thing is I'm inclined to use it a lot more than I ever would with the old horn. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 am 
230 Mike

How much access did you need from the inside to get this done? I've got very little as I recall, due to the anchor well. Also, do you sense much blockage of sounds from the horns not being directly over the opening? Is that the original grille? No 'glass mods?

Nice install!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:40 am 
Narwhal

230 Mike wrote:
How much access did you need from the inside to get this done? I've got very little as I recall, due to the anchor well. Also, do you sense much blockage of sounds from the horns not being directly over the opening? Is that the original grille? No 'glass mods?

Nice install!

the existing access in the anchor locker was just enough. I'll measure it up next weekend. I don't know about blockage of sound, doesn't seem so - I'll have to get someone to honk at me while I'm out of the boat. Friends I've honked at seemed impressed. The grill came with the new horn, but is identical to the stock grill. No glass work is required other than drilling out the mounting holes for the bolts. FW should use the dual horns as stock, the blast from the dual suits the boat so much more than the single horn 'toot'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:06 pm 

Another rainy Saturday morning we had… That means another project to finish… Thanks to Jim R. I got a Fiam 7222321 Dual Horn for my H260 and successfully installed.
As Jim_R said on earlier post this dual horn is a direct replacement of original single horn unit exception of it must be install it from inside. Existing screw holes must drill through to clear 10-24 screws. Anchor box of H260 is very tight and originally I did not think a new horn would fit… I took off anchor box door while installation so I can put my arms into the anchor box better. I could not believe when I saw the unit actually slide itself to the existing hole without too much challenge… Still, it is too tight to connect wire once the horn is in the place so I connected power before I slide the horns to the final spot. Their unit came with a weather-resisting screen and they all fit nicely to the original location as well.
The installation only took me less than 20 minutes… The horn sounds great and loud (although it sounds like a car now…..) We are happy with this improvement.

Mike:
This unit fit into to 260 so it should fit to 240 as well since their anchor box is the same as 260.

New Horn

Original horn in left

from inside of 260

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:20 pm 

Very nice installation!!!

Where did you buy this set-up? I can't seem to locate one searching the P/N 7222321. An earlier PDF print has P/N 72223. If you have a link to where you bought yours I would appreciate it!

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 pm 

I got this one thru my friends automobile (race car) fabrication parts distributor and took a little to get one.... I would think any FIAMM dealer can get hold of them if you give them a spec sheet which Jim_R posted. It is not listed on regular FIAMM parts list... The package did say 7222321 but drawing shows 72232.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:31 pm 

Flying Sushi wrote:
I got this one thru my friends automobile (race car) fabrication parts distributor and took a little to get one.... I would think any FIAMM dealer can get hold of them if you give them a spec sheet which Jim_R posted. It is not listed on regular FIAMM parts list... The package did say 7222321 but drawing shows 72232.....

Ok thanks. I would really like to replocate what you did. I emailed FIAMM and asked them for purchase information so we will see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:19 pm 
230 Mike

Sushi, thanks, I'll put this on the list! FW, let me know how your install goes and then I'll proceed. 8)

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:35 am 

I have the correct part number from FIAMM (7222311) and a source. I ordered the complete set-up from Speeds for $38.54. The price seemed too reasonable so I double checked the part number and what comes with it with FIAMM. Below are email exchanges between me and FIAMM. Read from the bottom up. I will let you know what arrives and how the install goes.

***Yes Ben it includes these items. The last two digits is just a packaging code for the different divisions that sell the horn. Some go bulk, some go boxed, just depends on who’s buying them.

***Virginia,

I just want to confirm that PN 7222311 includes dual horns, mounting bracket, gasket, and stainless steel cover? Another person that said he bought one of these gave me a PN 7222321 (the last 2 numbers were different). He may have done a typo on the last 2 numbers???

***If you call a local distributor that purchases all of our products, Speeds Carquest of Cadillac, they can help. Their number is 800-748-0251. The full part number is the 7222311.
Thanks,
Virginia
virginia.whitt@fiamm.com
Ph: 231-779-3500
Fax: 231-775-4402

***I need to replace the horn on my Four Winns boat. Attached is a print I got off a forum online. I need the dual horn set-up with the bracket, gasket and SS cover. The attached print says PN 72223 but I cannot seem to find anyone that sells that PN.

Can you tell me where I can get the set-up I am looking for and the correct part numbers?

http://www.geocities.com/jrobertson@ame ... l_tone.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:34 pm 

I got the horn set today with SS cover. Very nice pieces for the price. I made up the pigtails and nothing but a click. I'm embarrassed to say I have 33 years working with electricity plus I manage 5 power plants now and this two wire set up kicked my a%$.

If I hook up the horns one at a time they blow fine, if I hook up both horns as in the previous posts to a good spare battery they blow fine, if I hook the two horns to the boat I get nothing but a click noise. I switched connections and changed the wiring config and nothing but clicks so I am left thinking there is a relay somewhere in the circuit that is not handling the draw???

Good news............the set-up fits fine in the anchor locker on the 230/240 Horizon, just like in the 260. The screws provided are about 1/4 inch short as in previous posts.

I will sleep on the wiring/clicking issue and report back.................if I can sleep. A simple 20 minute job goes on.....................

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:34 pm 

I got the horn set today with SS cover. Very nice pieces for the price. I made up the pigtails and nothing but a click. I'm embarrassed to say I have 33 years working with electricity plus I manage 5 power plants now and this two wire set up kicked my a%$.

If I hook up the horns one at a time they blow fine, if I hook up both horns as in the previous posts to a good spare battery they blow fine, if I hook the two horns to the boat I get nothing but a click noise. I switched connections and changed the wiring config and nothing but clicks so I am left thinking there is a relay somewhere in the circuit that is not handling the draw???

Good news............the set-up fits fine in the anchor locker on the 230/240 Horizon, just like in the 260. The screws provided are about 1/4 inch short as in previous posts.

I will sleep on the wiring/clicking issue and report back.................if I can sleep. A simple 20 minute job goes on.....................

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:40 pm 
230 Mike

I'm thinking it's some kind of battery or voltage drop issue.

When I was a kid we had a 16' Starcraft with a 75hp Johnson outboard. Right after we got it, Dad decided to replace the horns. He installed them and they wouldn't make a sound. He spent many evenings fiddling, replacing, and cussing. Finally we just took the thing to the lake and used it anyway... and found that the horns worked fine when the boat was running. He never did come up with a final conclusion on the cause.

Guess I'll place an order!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:50 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
I'm thinking it's some kind of battery or voltage drop issue.

Good story and good enough for me. I was leaning towards a relay but I see none on the prints so I am going to hook up both horns and try them next time its running. I bet they work!!!

If you need any more order info I can scan my invoice and send it to you.

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next