www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:35 pm 
Tadpole

Hi all Ive had no issues this summer, ive let her sit for 4 weeks and now prepping for another trip, engine wont start!

I turn key, get the three beeps, here a click (not a loud one but a click) and then no crank at all. its similar when you try to start in forward gear. Ive cleaned battery terminal, charged battery, all of which were in good condition anyway. I can see the positive at the starter however its too difficult to get to to do anything else without pulling some parts off ( boat is fitted with corsa exhaust to make things even tighter)

Is there a simple way to remove the throttle, i'd like to check the neutral safety switch terminals, also are the 2 starter solenoids easy to access and should they both be clicking?

thanks in advance for any answers or further trouble shooting tips you may have....kill switch is in position and throttle in neutral.

Thanks David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My suggestion would be to start with battery terminal connections...both + and -...if you have a battery shut off switch that would be next.

The safety switch at helm will allow motor to turnover even if its pulled. It just kills the spark. I know this as I pull my switch to spin motor occasionally without starting it up.

I had similar issue with a tractor but same principal. I could start it while jumping but connections had a corrosion film that didnt look bad...I pulled connections, cleaned with a brass brush and that was my issue.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks mate, looks like I might be up for a new starter, managed to get a good look at it, terminals on the starter are heavily corroded. Another lesson learnt in the world of inboards, keep these terminals lubed as well!.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:09 pm 

Yep if the terminals are heavily corroded, that could be your problem, as far as diagnostics:
measure battery voltage, lets say is fully charged 12.6V:

1)now put your voltmeter + probe on the big terminal on the solenoid connected to the battery cable, other (-) probe on battery neg or engine ground...see what you got, should be close to battery volts. If not corroded terminals can be the cause.
2)next test: harder to access but the start wire is the yellow/red wire on the solenoid. If you can get your voltmeter + probe on this, ground the other (-) probe and have someone turn the key to start while you watch the meter. If its batt volts, could be starter or solenoid (which can be replaced separately), if its zero, the problem can be elsewhere in the starter system wiring. On some of these boats it can be hell to change a starter. Might have to remove the exhaust manifold on that side. If you have the old style heavy Delco style, consider replacing it with the lighter Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction style. Just make sure to use the right bolts and torque to spec. Loose or wrong starter bolts can break off in the block and cause you untold grief.

Suggestion:
if you have to remove the old one, once you have access, tie a rope round it to hold it up while you take the bolts out. They are heavy and the bolts are up under the engine hard to access sometimes.

Here's my old one, still running this old style Delco one but due to change it to a PMGR this spring.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97y7b927tdgll ... r.jpg?dl=0
I have used this one since 2007 and replaced the solenoid once because the exhaust manifold drain leaked water on the terminals (have since replaced these OMC one piece units with the style used on later OMCs and Volvos, no drain there to leak, its on the back end of the manifold). It's starting to crank slow so its time. I have an ARCO PMGR waiting to be installed as soon as it warms up.

After installing coat terminals with a good marine grease, I use OMC/Evinrude triple guard.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:49 am 

You are getting 3 beeps and a click. If you have fuel injection you should also be hearing the fuel pump kick on for a bit. Do you hear it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:33 pm 

If you need a starter...you can stay with OEM and take that one in to a starter/generator shop and they can rebuild it for you much cheaper than buying a new one.

Will be like new for half the price...just make sure they know its marine which they should know, but make sure they maintain the spark resistance of the unit. I've had one done before....same goes for the alternator if you ever have issue.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi