www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 pm 
Narwhal

aguyindallas wrote:
My boat has red....bugs like em.

Bummer. Good thing I'm wiring the cup holder LEDs to a spare switch on the dash - wouldn't want my guests to be drinking Bug Light.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 pm 
Narwhal

I was really worried about the bug thing. Was out cruising for hours with mine on, and did not notice one bug going for the red cup holder leds. In fact, the bugs were going crazy over the bow navigation lights, but didn't bother the cup holders only about two feet away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

impulse wrote:
Showing the additional switch that was installed to match factory setup for controlling my led's only. It's the one all the way to the right.

Impulse,
Thank you for posting all these details! I'm inspired for yet another early spring project. So, I'm wondering where you got that switch setup? I take it you installed a round stainless switch and a small LED to show when it's on, right? Looks totally factory! Me Likey!

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:16 am 

Sounder wrote:
impulse wrote:
Showing the additional switch that was installed to match factory setup for controlling my led's only. It's the one all the way to the right.

Impulse,
Thank you for posting all these details! I'm inspired for yet another early spring project. So, I'm wondering where you got that switch setup? I take it you installed a round stainless switch and a small LED to show when it's on, right? Looks totally factory! Me Likey!

Steve

I had my dealers help with this one. They ordered and installed the switch for me so I could keep the factory look. I was a little skidish about drilling in my dash pannel so I let them do it. They did a great job, like you said, looks factory and that's what I was going for. I ran and hooked up all the led lighting with help from "aguyfromdallas". We did his boat first and then mine. It was a fun project and worth the time. We are out in the evenings quite a bit. I was happy with the product from oznium.com and if your going to use the double stick tape to apply them make sure to use some rubbing alcohol to prep the surface.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am 
Nauti Luv

Yep...you MUST use alcohol to clean the surface very well. I too am very satisfied with the Oznium products.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm 

impulse wrote:
Sounder wrote:
impulse wrote:

Impulse,

Steve

I had my dealers help with this one. They ordered and installed the switch for me so I could keep the factory look. I was a little skidish about drilling in my dash pannel so I let them do it. They did a great job, like you said, looks factory and that's what I was going for. I ran and hooked up all the led lighting with help from "aguyfromdallas". We did his boat first and then mine. It was a fun project and worth the time. We are out in the evenings quite a bit. I was happy with the product from oznium.com and if your going to use the double stick tape to apply them make sure to use some rubbing alcohol to prep the surface.

Thanks! I found them at the dealer (stealer) too. He says they cost $25 each, plus $6 for the LED lamp that goes next to the button. I was going to order two ... one for interior lights, and one for swim platform. But, for that price, I'll try to make one work! :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 am 

For those of you who have done this project, how many inches in the flexible LED strips are you using to get the level of brightness you have? I was thinking of starting with a 1.2 inch strip on each side of the bow, each side of the aft seating, and under each helm. Do you think this will provide enough light? I want subtlety rather than blazing illumination so I don't want to overdo it.

Also, I'd like to change out the bulbs in my courtesy light at the base of the aft seats as well as the instrument bulbs on my dash-changing all to red. Anyone know if these bulbs are universal among the FW's or specific models (like Horizons) and if they are also universal in use (courtesy light, instrument lights, etc.).

Somewhere I think I remember 230Mike having a thread on my second question, but I can't find it in a search.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:58 am 
230 Mike

Paul, I haven't gotten around (yet) to changing the courtesy lights to LED's - that's on my list. But for the helm, my bulbs are all automotive 194 types. I'm reasonably sure (but not certain) that they were still using the same in '07 (and probably now). I got my replacements from http://www.superbrightleds.com. The model is WLED-R (R for red; there are other colors available). I experimented with the blue ones, since the original color of my helm was blue, but decided I liked the red ones best, plus they match the factory depth finder. They're cheap and shipping was quick (from St. Louis). They're also dimmable, which is something else I was thinking about adding at the time, although I don't see much of a need for it now with the LED's. Remember that your multifunction gauge has two bulbs in it, so be sure to order enough.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 am 

Thanks Mike!

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:01 pm 
Villiage Idiot

230 Mike wrote:
Paul, I haven't gotten around (yet) to changing the courtesy lights to LED's - that's on my list. But for the helm, my bulbs are all automotive 194 types. I'm reasonably sure (but not certain) that they were still using the same in '07 (and probably now). I got my replacements from http://www.superbrightleds.com. The model is WLED-R (R for red; there are other colors available). I experimented with the blue ones, since the original color of my helm was blue, but decided I liked the red ones best, plus they match the factory depth finder. They're cheap and shipping was quick (from St. Louis). They're also dimmable, which is something else I was thinking about adding at the time, although I don't see much of a need for it now with the LED's. Remember that your multifunction gauge has two bulbs in it, so be sure to order enough.

Post pics, or it didn't happen! :wink:
Seriously, if you get the opportunity, could you post a pic of your dash with these lights? I'm curious how bright, etc.... may try the blue LED's. thx!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:45 pm 

I did both of those with my last boat. On the new boat I only did the gauges. Its not as bright as the white light, but the red is easier on your night vision. The red lights were way to dim to replace the cockpit lighting, so I left those as is on my new boat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:21 pm 
230 Mike

Walt wrote:
Post pics, or it didn't happen! :wink:
Seriously, if you get the opportunity, could you post a pic of your dash with these lights?

Well, this is a really hard thing to photograph. I took this in the dark storage unit right after replacing them - when boating at night I'm too concerned with watching for traffic and the GPS to worry about taking any pictures. It's important to note that this pic is very overexposed - the red gauges are not blindingly bright as this would have you believe.

This shows the new red LED's in the two left gauges and an original blue in the right (you have to look hard to even see it). My original issue was not with the color - I liked the blue - but I couldn't even see the gauges until it got completely dark out. All through the dusk period the gauges would get harder and harder to see because the back lights were ineffective. The reason they're ineffective is the way FW achieved the color: they take a standard clear 194 bulb and put a colored rubber boot over it, blocking 80% of the light.

Here's a pic of one of the original "blue" 194's next to a WLED-B.

Oh, that 2nd pic reminds me, these LED's are polarized, so if you install them and they don't turn on, just flip 'em around the other way.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:10 pm 

Mike,

Those look like a PITA to change out. Was it? Are you looking to replace the fixture for your courtesy lights or just replace the bulbs with LED's ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:22 pm 
230 Mike

They weren't bad at all. The bulbs just fit into 1/4-turn holders. I had to take a couple of wires loose to make it easier to get to one of them, and the one in the trim gauge required pulling that whole part of the panel out, but that's only 2 or 3 screws.

On the courtesy lights I'd prefer to just replace the bulbs. Shouldn't be a problem, I just haven't gotten a round tuit. ;)

What I'd really like to change next is the bow navigation light. We do boat at night quite a bit and that thing gets hot enough to burn someone. Plus, spare bulbs aren't available everywhere and I don't like the risk of burning one out at night. I've decided I don't care for the Livorsi pop-up (when it's down), and when I've inquired about dimensions and such from other manufacturers I've gotten no replies. Again, I just haven't been able to focus on it to get it done.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:28 am 
Nauti Luv

pet575 wrote:
For those of you who have done this project, how many inches in the flexible LED strips are you using to get the level of brightness you have? I was thinking of starting with a 1.2 inch strip on each side of the bow, each side of the aft seating, and under each helm. Do you think this will provide enough light? I want subtlety rather than blazing illumination so I don't want to overdo it.

Also, I'd like to change out the bulbs in my courtesy light at the base of the aft seats as well as the instrument bulbs on my dash-changing all to red. Anyone know if these bulbs are universal among the FW's or specific models (like Horizons) and if they are also universal in use (courtesy light, instrument lights, etc.).

Somewhere I think I remember 230Mike having a thread on my second question, but I can't find it in a search.

I used the 9.5 inch strips (if I recall correctly) in all areas of my boat and I believe Impulse did as well. To me, they are just right. Not soo much that they interfere with night vision but also not so dim that they are barely noticed either.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next