www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

One of my off season boat projects this winter is to add some LED accent lighting. I plan to add some LED rope light along the base of the rear bench seat as well as some accent lighting underneath the helm and passenger compartments and on the top side of the storage pockets on the sides of the boat. I can't seem to find a good source for purchasing what I want. Some of the questions I have so far are:

1. Would making all of this lighting feature dimmable be worthwhile?
2. Would running a rope light along the base of the bench seat and floor look cheesy or good?
3. Should I use small fixtures for the hidden accent lighting or would a short piece of rope light work?

Other things to keep in mind. I do have a spare hot switch on the dash I could use for turn on, turn off of this aux lighting. I've never done a project like this before. I am mechanically and electrically inclined. I've wired up outlets, switches, celing fans, etc in the house and it hasn't burned down yet.

Please feel free to comment on any or all parts of this.

Thank you,

David

Last edited by impulse on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:35 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Hey Impulse,
Have you looked at my pics? If not, click on my link to see them. Sounds like you're headed down the same road I was about a year ago. I used rope lights (non-led) along the base so I could put on a dimmer if they seemed too intense. However, this was not neccesary. I thought about accent lighting, but decided the cupholders were more than sufficient. I am toying with rings for my speakers though. I would say LED accent lighting (6 LEDs should be sufficient), and the rope light as I did along the carpet edge would look very good!

Good luck!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:29 pm 

Walt - I did go back and look at some of your pic's actually. Very similar set up to what I'm going for. I do want to be able to switch this setup on and off independently of anything else, which is why I had the dealer add another switch for me incase. I've seen some remote controlable stuff where I would just wire directly to the batt or batt switch, but I really don't care about the remote control as much as the dimming. I just want to be able to tone down the intensity if necessary. (unless you guys that have these setups think the dimmer thing is not necessary) I also re-read Cincy's post on the LED install and there are two sources listed one by him: http://www.rockitlites.com and one by txjole: http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips. I'll probably price both of these guys out and see what they come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:00 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Great! Sounds like you have a good plan. I spend a lot of time out on the water at night, and find the floor lighting isn't distracting, or too bright. Just a nice, soft glow. Mine is toggled with the courtesy lights.

Remember, make sure none of your lighting cannot be confused for a nav light by other boaters!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 pm 
Clownfish

I just installed a waterproof LED kit on my 1999 200 Horizon. I bought it on ebay from a guy named joe-florida. It is remote controlled and came with two 10' strands with six sets of nine lights and a 6' extention, controller and 2 remotes. It was enough to run along the sides but not under the dash on the driver side or the glove box area on the passenger side, so I called him and bought one more 10' strand and cut it in half and extended it under both driver and passenger side dash. It has 15 different settings from solid colors to flashing. The light bars have 3M molding tape and was very easy to install. Mine are under the gunnels and the extention was enough to make the jump across the engine compartment. I'm very happy with the results. The whole project with the extra strand was about $120.00 with shipping.

Hope this helps,
Ross

Here is the ebay item #110303970380

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:00 pm 
Minnow

How bout some pics?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 pm 

Barefoot, please post some pic's if you have them, this sound very similar to what I am going for and that seems like a really good price for everything you got.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:09 pm 

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
I have been reading members posts over the last few months with regard to accent lighting... and no one seems to have mentioned using "Light Tape" http://www.lighttape.com not that I know anything about it, but it does look interesting stuff... anybody used it?

"If we improve with age I'm now excellent"

Ex 1998 238 Vista 5.0Gi SX DP
Lexus RX300

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 pm 
Clownfish

I will do my best to post some pic's. I'm still trying to figure out how to download them to a website and link them here.

Ross

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 pm 

I like mine hidden being that you only use them 10% of the time in the boat, I rather have them out of the way and not messed with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:03 pm 

beyond the blue wrote:
I have been reading members posts over the last few months with regard to accent lighting... and no one seems to have mentioned using "Light Tape" http://www.lighttape.com not that I know anything about it, but it does look interesting stuff... anybody used it?

Light tape was not bright enough for me. I tried it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:22 pm 
Shark

Txjole2-

That looks sweet. I'm looking at the oznium spot or floods to put under my swim platform in the spring. I'm not sure how bright they will be, but plan on starting with 4 total - maybe 2 on each side.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:33 pm 

Lakbum -- These look pretty good... I am thinking the same thing... And they are waterproof.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:04 pm 
Clownfish

I finally figured out how to post pics. So here is one of my LED setup. It has a key fob remote and 18 settings from solid colors to multi color and flashing modes.

Ross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:33 pm 
All Night Long

controlled remotely... 18 settings... multi colored... flashing effects...

We have a winner.

What/where/how did you do this? Details!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next