www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:27 am 
email admin your custom rank

I just put mine back in and if I'm not mistake my are Interstate. Mine boat also came from Lexington Boats but I wonder if they or your selling dealer put them in?

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:11 am 
Narwhal

Mine did not come with an interstate battery, but I've been very happy with the performance of the dual purpose battery that the dealer supplied. I almost bought a second one as a house battery, but ended up going with a group 27 instead of another group 24.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:03 am 

Why does it really matter what battery is in your boat? As long as it came with one and it is performing then that's all that matters. Four Winns may have an alliance with intertstate but there are lots of respectable batteries out there. Hell even Wally world ones are good if you
treat them right (as stated by Cougar). The Optimas would be a $increase but not spectacular.
If you're happy with the batteries that are installed then let it be. If they've let you down then consider making them change them out.

BTW, my boat has two large (27?) deep cycle Interstate batteries as house units (received with it when I bought it used) and a third off brand unit as my starting battery (installed by me last year when I did my battery location change).

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:44 pm 
Shark

Mine came with two deep cycle Interstate batteries. However, when the time comes, I will replace them with Optimas. I like that the Optima batteries do not leak acid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:38 am 
268 Vista

The Optima batteries have had some failure issues of late, they are not rampant, but do a google search and see what you think. With Gelled batteries, they don't usually like equalization or over charging. They must be charged at a slower rate to prevent excess gas from damaging the cells. They cannot be fast charged on a conventional automotive charger or they may be permanently damaged. If overcharged, voids can develop in the gel which will never heal, causing a loss in battery capacity. In hot climates, water loss can be enough over 2-4 years to cause premature battery death. Make sure your charging and maintaining system meet the battery specifications. Don't make assumptions here.

As far as the best AGM batteries I have found, the Lifeline Deep Cycle AGM batteries have some of the highest CCA and reserve capacity available.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marinedeepcycle.php
They are expensive, but would be my choice over Optima, if I went with AGM. I have had good luck with lead acid batteries, and price wise they are within my budget.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:02 pm 

If you do the research, you should not charge Optima's with a conventional charger. They need to be charged at a very slow rate. Like filling a gallon jug with an eyedropper. I have a on board charger that has a switch for Gel, AGM or flooded battery's that I use for my Optima's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:03 am 
Shark

That's good info ref the Optimas. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes.

Not to hijack this thread, but is the battery charger easy to install...any complications or disadvantages?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:26 am 

Depends on the model of boat your and the location. Mine was hard to get at as most things are in the 258 with a big block. Had to lay across the engine and work with my head under the deck.
It would have been easier to just replace with the original Guest, but I had several fail so I went with Xantrex Truecharge which has the capability to charge gel battery's.