www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Batteries
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:02 pm 
Shark

Just wanting everyones opinions on what type of battery you use? In ours now, it has a regular car battery. Which makes sense, bc it is the same as a car motor. But we have always used deep cycle marine batteries. From what I understand, deep cycle batteries are designed to give more of a steady charge over loner periods, oppose to a car battery which give a bigger boost for a short period. Which is better?

Post subject: Re: Batteries
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:50 pm 
Nauti Luv

My boat came with a "dual purpose" marine battery of Group 27 size. Think of a dual purpose as being a hybrid of a deep cycle and a regular car battery. It can withstain being drained and recovered many times, like a deep cycle. With that said, it can provide quick power boosts to start as needed. I added a second identical battery, connected via a Perko battery switch and never looked back. I like to listen to my stereo, sometimes for extended periods while on the hook. If I happen to kill a battery (have yet to even get close), I switch to the other battery and crank it up. If I killed both (highly unlikely) then I could switch my Perko switch to "all" and use both batteries to start the boat. If you go to a 2 battery setup (and I always suggest this) just be sure to alternate which battery you use. I boat pretty much every Sunday of the summer. I alternante every weekend from battery 1 to battery 2. This ensures that both batteries get an equal amount of "wear and tear". Also, in this off season, I have added an onboard 2 bank charger so I can simply plug it in at home when I get home and keep both batteries topped off and maintained.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 pm 
Shark

dallas, im not sure exactly how the battery switch works, could you tell me exactly the setup you have so I can begin working on getting something of the same? Ive always had two batteries with no switch, except I was using one for the motor, radio, etc and the other was used for trolling motor... hint hint, ive always had bass boats and fish and skis.. haha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 pm 
Shark

dallas, im not sure exactly how the battery switch works, could you tell me exactly the setup you have so I can begin working on getting something of the same? Ive always had two batteries with no switch, except I was using one for the motor, radio, etc and the other was used for trolling motor... hint hint, ive always had bass boats and fish and skis.. haha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm 
230 Mike

I have the stock dual battery setup from FW, which consists of a pair of Interstate group 27 dual purpose batteries and a Perko switch. I think I'm going to go for one more season out of this original pair, then replace them next year (with the same).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My old FW had a standard battery in it and I eventually upgraded the whole thing to a pair of group 27 dual purpose batteries...all new cables...and battery switch. The batt switch enables you to run on batt #1 one trip...then batt #2 for the next trip...and if by chance both batts get run down you can parallel them (still 12 volts but it combines the available cranking amps) so you can still get the boat started. Some upgrade this to include a battery combiner that eliminates the need for using the batt switch. I like the switch, it's part of my boating rituals...open cover...sniff for fumes...switch batt...put on blower...wait 4 min....start up...

rhino if the batt cables in your boat are original I'd for sure replace them...use something better than the 4 gauge wire too.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:11 am 
Shark

LouC wrote:
it's part of my boating rituals...open cover...sniff for fumes...switch batt...put on blower...wait 4 min....start up...

Speaking of the blower.. How often are you supposed to run it? And for how long? During driving, after, before?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:15 am 
Villiage Idiot

See "Walt's Mod's" thread.. I've got a dual batt and monitor install in there somewhere.
http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1653&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=walt%27s+mods&sid=8addc2bd8265fa3dfed703b260060905

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:59 am 

rhino4552 wrote:
LouC wrote:
it's part of my boating rituals...open cover...sniff for fumes...switch batt...put on blower...wait 4 min....start up...

Speaking of the blower.. How often are you supposed to run it? And for how long? During driving, after, before?

With an I/O or any inboard gas boat....before you start open the engine hatch or doghouse.....sniff...if no gas fumes...turn on blower for 4 min...then start...if you smell gas fumes...get it looked at...
You leave the blower on at idle and no wake speeds....you can turn it off once on plane because the natural airflow gives enough ventilation...but I usually leave mine on...

One other thing...when you gas up the boat...if at a gas dock...leave the blower OFF and keep the engine hatch CLOSED when gassing up to keep fumes out of the bilge...then after you're done...open the engine hatch or doghouse..sniff...turn on the blower for 4 min...I always do this but you would not believe how many people do not...they never do the sniff test at the gas dock they just run the blower...

On this boat there the intake for the blower is on the starboard side near the gas fill so it's particularly important to leave the blower OFF when gassing up and then open the engine hatch...sniff...run blower 4 min...

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 am 
230 Mike

It's easy to get lazy and lax about running the blower before starting the engine. Don't fall into that trap! It's there to keep your boat from blowing up, which has happened more than once.

I have a habit of forgetting to turn mine off since I can't hear it if the engine is much above idle. I knew a guy who installed an electronic beeper in the helm of his brand-new '78 Mark Twain so he'd know if the blower was on. Always thought that was a good idea, but replacement blower motors don't cost much.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 pm 
Villiage Idiot

230 Mike wrote:
It's easy to get lazy and lax about running the blower before starting the engine. Don't fall into that trap! It's there to keep your boat from blowing up, which has happened more than once.

I have a habit of forgetting to turn mine off since I can't hear it if the engine is much above idle. I knew a guy who installed an electronic beeper in the helm of his brand-new '78 Mark Twain so he'd know if the blower was on. Always thought that was a good idea, but replacement blower motors don't cost much.

How about installing a switch that would automatically toggle the blower on when throttle is at idle? :shock: hum... I smell another "Walt's Mod" coming... maybe next season :wink:

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:20 pm 

I bet someone had rigged up a beeper or something similar to remind you do run it...but I feel that all gas powered inboards should have a gas fume detector...and all skippers of such boats should do the sniff test...

This is funny...when my son was younger he would want to know "why are you sniffing the engine Dad.." and I would try to come up with a non-scary explanation for this procedure...'well you know a good Captn checks the engine before every trip..' Left the part about explosive vapors out of the explanation!

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:08 pm 
Shark

Walt wrote:
See "Walt's Mod's" thread.. I've got a dual batt and monitor install in there somewhere.
http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1653&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=walt%27s+mods

Yea that looks great, I am not sure I will need any sort of charger or anything, as if we do any overnight staying we will be staying with electricity and will just bring the trickle charger along. But I am definitely going to get a second battery and a switch ASAP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:55 pm 

rhino4552 wrote:
I am not sure I will need any sort of charger or anything, as if we do any overnight staying we will be staying with electricity and will just bring the trickle charger along.

Although it's not necessary, in my humble opinion the engine bay mounted trickle charger (doesn't have to be engine bay) makes life simple and gives me peace of mind that I'm leaving shore with 2 fully charged batt's. It's a mod you'll be glad you did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 pm 
Nauti Luv

impulse is right.

Its great to know you have "full power" when you head to the ramp. I like my music, and I like it loud. I dont want to be left stranded at dark or late at night with dead batteries. As soon as the sun goes down, the LED's come on and the music continues....

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4