www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie battery question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm 
Goldfish

I just purchased a 93 Freedom 180, OB johnson 115. what type of batter is best for this setup. It has places for three batteries and a battery charger to keep them plugged in when out of the water. But there was no batties in it when i bought it. Any help would be appreciated. I know i am gonna install a perko switch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Do you plan on running much in the way of electrical accessories, when the engine is not running?

If not, just use a standard "starting" battery ... just like you would in the car. Of course, bigger is better, if you do occasionally run some accessories.

If you do plan on using some electrical stuff .... like listening to the radio for extended periods (maybe with a moderate or large amp), with the engine off, you can either use a single large deep cycle battery (like a group 29) or use one battery for starting (non deep cycle) and another for the accessories (deep cycle). Of course, to make this work, you would need a battery selector switch wired up so that you could charge both when the engine is running, but only use the deep cycle battery for when the engine is off.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks, no there is only the radio on board nothing heavy duty. I would assume though that I would need a deep cycle battery for the trolling motor. I am going to install a selector switch for the two main batteries.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 pm 
Nauti Luv

That boat should be fine with a Group 25 battery. With that said, I am all about overkill. I would get 2 Group 27 batteries. That is what I have on my boat and we run the stereo ALOT when on the hook....To date...no troubles. I would think that having 3 batteries would be over the top in that boat personally. If you were going to run the heck out of the trolling motore (meaning, its a fishing boat 75% of the time), maybe having 3 would make sense?

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 am 
GIDDY UP

It's set up like any fishing boat. One cranking & two deep cycle batteries. There is no need to install a switch as the deep cycles won't do you much good in the way of cranking the engine. Also, the alternator(stator) on the outboard will not generate enough current to charge the deep cycles so they will stay completely independent and require the on-board charger to plug in when not in use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 pm 
Goldfish

Brent87LT1 wrote:
It's set up like any fishing boat. One cranking & two deep cycle batteries. There is no need to install a switch as the deep cycles won't do you much good in the way of cranking the engine. Also, the alternator(stator) on the outboard will not generate enough current to charge the deep cycles so they will stay completely independent and require the on-board charger to plug in when not in use.

So one group 27 for the motor and any suggestions on the other two for trolling motor , airator etc. So should i hook up the running lights etc to the double battery setup or to the main batter? Forgive my questions just trying to figure out the best way ? If i dont need three batteries i wont install them. It will be used for fishing about 25% of the time and not much of that on the trolling motor

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:42 am 
GIDDY UP

Yes, One group 27 cranking battery will run everything but the trolling motor. If you're not going to use the trolling motor much, you could save some $ and just get one. You may want to find out if it's a 24V motor. If so, you must use 2 deep cycles wired in series.

If your plug in at the bow is 2 pin = 12V, 3pin = 24V
(To the best of my knowledge)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 am 
Goldfish

See this is why I love forums, Thanks for all the info, I will look at my plug when i get home today.