www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy Inverter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 pm 
Sierra

I believe this device was mentioned a time ago, but with the season approaching I just grabbed this 100W Black & Decker inverter and thought I would remind everyone of its usefulness. It was like $19 so how can you go wrong (unless it burns up the boat)? In my mind, a perfect solution for recharging camera batteries, plugging in a laptop etc. without having to fire up the genny. And it has a USB port built-in for recharging cell phones and the like.

Post subject: Re: Easy Inverter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:44 pm 
268 Vista

No cooling fan ?

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Sierra wrote:
I believe this device was mentioned a time ago, but with the season approaching I just grabbed this 100W Black & Decker inverter and thought I would remind everyone of its usefulness. It was like $19 so how can you go wrong (unless it burns up the boat)? In my mind, a perfect solution for recharging camera batteries, plugging in a laptop etc. without having to fire up the genny. And it has a USB port built-in for recharging cell phones and the like.

Agreed! I have the 400W (2 plug), for $50... I don't know how I coulda survived without. I keep one in the work truck, and one mounted in the boat. Charge the camera, inflation stuff, even the blender! Either way you can't go wrong!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 pm 
Sierra

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
No cooling fan ?

Odd that it's not mentioned in the description, but it does have a cooling fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm 
230 Mike

Anyone who owns an inverter, though, should be aware that (unless you get into very expensive models - several $100's to $1K and up) - they don't provide true sine wave power, as is provided by utility power. Instead they provide a "stepped approximation" to a sine wave. Generally, the cheaper the inverter the less sine-like the wave form. More expensive inverters (yet still in the "affordable" range) have stepped approximations that are closer to true sine. For this reason I personally prefer Tripp Lite power products.

The reason this is important is that there are some motors and some electronics that are very sensitive to wave form, and for those devices, the farther away you get from true sine the more risk you run of overheating, malfunctions, or even damage.

I throw this out as general info - I don't have this unit and am certainly not criticizing it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:27 pm 
Sierra

230 Mike wrote:
there are some motors and some electronics that are very sensitive to wave form, and for those devices, the farther away you get from true sine the more risk you run of overheating, malfunctions, or even damage.

Great point Mike which is why I would only use this particular unit for the purposes I mentioned above. My understanding is that these are safe uses for this type of inverter.

Thanks for bringing it up!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

I also picked up a 400W 2 plug for using in the boat and truck. Comes in very handy. Can't wait to take the blender with us in the boat!

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:18 pm 
Shark

Be careful with what you use these 100-400 watt cig adapter inverters for. They are fine for the incidental charges (I Pods, cameras, etc), but a blender usually draws 4-5 amps and these will probably blow the fuse on your boat before it blows the fuse on the inverter (or even worse!). Either way, they are no good for blenders..... I had a 750w Vector tied directly into one of my batteries on my last boat with heavy duty cables and it worked great! 400w is the highest wattage you can go using a cig plug, but you still won't get the rated watts unless you go directly to the battery with cables.

I'd love to hear if anyone has done an installation or has any ideas for a semi-custom mount for a larger inverter. I checked with Four Winns directly to see if they would do it at the factory and they said....no.

2007 Silverado 1500 CrewCab 4x4

Previous:
2002 Four Winns H200
5.0GXI 270HP