www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 inch 12V Fluorescent
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The fluorescent fixtures in my Vista are near their end. Has anyone replaced these before? I had a dealer replace the fixtures with new LED fixtures, but they did not put enough light out to fill that part of the cabin. I'm looking to replace all three fixtures with dual bulb/12v/12in fluorescents. Same thing that was in their originally. I've been looking online, but it is usually to late to concentrate. Haven't found what I'm looking for as of yet. Does anyone know of a good website?

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:38 pm 
268 Vista

Not sure what your current lights look like but, maybe something like this would work ?
Quote:
Ultra Bright White LED Strip Lighting
This light is an excellent replacement for 12 volt fluorescent lighting. A one foot fixture is similar in brightness to a 16 watt fluorescent light and is brighter than a double interior light with 21 candle power bulbs. Additionally, this light draws less current than fluorescents or incandescents, never needs replacement bulbs or ballasts and is totally unaffected by cold weather and vibration.

The one foot fixture operating in the full power mode draws only 0.63 amps in the full bright mode or 0.32 amps in the half power energy-miser mode.

This light is also available to operate in a White or Red (Night Vision) mode. This version of the light includes 3 red LEDs and 3 white LEDs in each one foot section.

http://www.commandelectronics.com/led-t ... ml#Classic

You will have to scroll quite a ways down the page, almost to the bottom.

Or maybe the florescent type.
http://www.commandelectronics.com/fluor ... ights.html

You might also check RV lighting sites, if you have not already.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm 

Thanks Cap'n. That is exactly what I was looking for. Have you used them before? I just placed an order for 3, and we will update once installed.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 pm 
268 Vista

I have not used them myself. A neighbor bought the fluorescent ones for his RV, and mentioned the site, so I thought I would pass it along. I liked the idea of the LED low power consumption. Did you order the LED or flourescent ones?

Let us know if they do the job.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:10 pm 

Thanks for passing it along. I took a chance with the LEDs for the same reason you stated. If they do not provide enough light, I will just replace with their fluorescent fixtures.

Appreciate it again,

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:42 pm 

Update,
When I ordered the lights on their website, it did not give you an option for shipping. You had the standard 5 -7 business days, and I was needing to get this job done right away. So I sent a email to the generic email address on their site and to my surprise I got a phone call from their VP (that's whats listed in his signature on his email) at 7:30 am the next morning (Thurs). The lights were at my doorstep by noon on Friday.

Well, I installed the 12 in LEDs with a little a concern that they would not be bright enough since I have tried LEDs in this area before. I've got to say that I'm extremely happy with the results. There is not a question that they are brighter than the dual fluorescents that were there before. The light resembles more "cool white" than "warm white", but I will get used to it. Actually at night, they can be to bright, but there is a switch that you gives you two settings of low and high. I need to figure out which setting I like the best since it is troublesome to unscrew the cover that mounts into the headliner in the boat to access the fixture. The pics below were taken with my phone, and not that great. I plan on taking my camera out there to get better quality.

This picture is of both the new led and old fluorescent. The LED is on the left and fluorescent on right.

This is 2 of the 3 lights with LEDs installed.

Thanks Cap'n for your recommendation!

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 pm 
268 Vista

You are welcome. Thanks for posting a follow up. Those really look good. I'm glad you like them.