www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ACC switch wiring?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 pm 
Goldfish

Sorry, it may seem like a stupid question but I'm electrically challenged. I'm trying to hook up led lights to the ACC switch in the dash. Simply put, where does the + wire connect to and where does the - wire go to? Do they both go to the switch or does one go to the fuse panel? I have a 07 H240, I tryed to get the wiring diagram on fourwinns.com but I can't find my particular dash diagram on the owners manuel section under 07 or 08. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: ACC switch wiring?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Wiring Diagram is page on 205 and 205 of your operating manual. If you do not have it you can download from Four Winns website. As long as you have spare switch you should be able to utilize it. Although all accessory switches is rewired for specific option so you have to figure out which switch is open for your application. They are all connected to fuse box but you have to splice at one side of switch and other wire to connect to ground.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:38 pm 
Goldfish

The ACC switch is for an additional accessory, I was told it has power to the switch and it is fused already. I looked up those pages, page 205 and 206 are for dual batteries and clarion stereo. I can't find the dash that looks like mine. Again there is one or two open posts at the back of the switch I think. Where do I connect to + and the - ?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:04 pm 

You need to figure out which side of the switch is "hot"... Do you have a voltmeter? Hold the black wire on a good ground and touch all the terminals on the switch. Only one will give you 12V (unless the switch is on!) Connect your LED + to the side of the switch that doesn't have power but does when you turn the switch on) and hook the - of your lights to a good ground.

All around a pretty simple mod. You may have to disconnect an existing wire that would be intended for the accessory.

Hopefully I haven't confused you.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 pm 

The switch gets the + wire. There should be a ground block somewhere near the fuse box. That gets the - wire.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I wanna say this in the nicest possible way, and without sarcasm.

Have someone else do it!

What I mean is it's not too tough by any means, but if it gets done wrong... it can get ugly!

Based on what you have posted and seen in response so far, at best, you'll get it right. My money is on blowing some fuses (trial and error) and eventually getting it to work out. However, it's the "at worst" that could bite you (and I have witnessed personally). Imagine using undersized wiring, which eventually breaks down due to current/heat, and causes a fire in a very in-accesible place at a very inopportune time. Not a very good combo... been there, done that!

Surely you have a buddy who is good with this kind of stuff?... take him and his wife for a spin, maybe buy him a case of beer for his work. I do much the same on my bro-in-law's Crown, because he just doesn't have the confidence in this area.

Above all, be safe and best of luck on your mod.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:16 pm 

Good point, Walt. It's easy stuff, but not something you want to screw up if you aren't sure. I don't know where you are, but if you are in MN, I'll be happy to help in exchange for a few brews.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:53 am 
Goldfish

I have a 12v tester to check the back of the switch, I just wasn't sure where to put the - to ground. I see the ground on the fuse block, so as long as the - is to some ground on the block that should be fine correct?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:17 am 
wkearney99

Be aware that the 12v source in a boat (or any engine-driven vehicle) fluctuates quite a lot. Some LED lighting is not designed for use with anything other than a stable 12v source. When you use too high or too low a voltage with the lighting it burns out way too fast. One indicator is the light is listed as being suitable for use in an automobile. Otherwise you'd have to use an inline, voltage regulating power supply designed to provide stable 12v voltage.

As long as it's not a high-drain device then you can probably attach it through the switch. Higher drain devices must use a relay. The switch then only controls a relay, which in turn controls the device. The switches don't have a negative lead on them. All they do is switch a positive source. You need to connect the negative on your device to the appropriate grounding point (typically a bus bar arrangement nearby).

And, NO, you don't want to just use any old ground point. Load requires suitable gauge wire to carry it on BOTH the positive and negative side of the circuit. Review the schematics and be sure you're using an appropriate point.

The schematics will show wire colors along with switch pin numbers. When there's more than one wire connecting to a switch, and there's no other device being controlled from it, then you're probably looking at a circuit for powering the light in the switch itself. Again, the schematics will show which pins (they're numbered) are being used for this purpose.

When you run your wire be sure to use wire appropriate to the load and intended for marine use. Use the right connectors on the ends and secure the wire so it doesn't move around. Do not just leave it hanging loose or use half-ass stuff like wire nuts or inline crimp taps. The corrosion potential even with marine-grade stuff is a hassle to debug when it fails. Using the wrong materials only makes it that much worse. Do it right the first time.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:20 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks for everyones help, I guess the only other question I have is that I can't find my particular dash setup in the wiring diagrams in either the 2007 or 2008 books? Anyone else have a similar issue?