www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:09 pm 
Seahorse

Hi Guys...a newbie who has been absorbing info the last 3 weeks after having purchased my FW Horizon 250.

Quick question: This boat has the factory dual-battery setup. Can someone tell me which of the 2 batteries is the main "starting" battery? Or are the both identical and it doesn't matter?

I ask because I'm going to be installing a dual battery charger and one of the 2 leads is marked for the "main starting" battery. The battery that sits closest to the engine has just 2 leads going to the pos/neg terminals. The most starboard battery has an extra wire-bundle going to each pos/neg terminal that I assumed was for all the stereo, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If both batteries are the same group number then either one could be used as the starting battery, I would find out which battery has the most stuff hooked up to it, like the hosue stuff, stereo and the like. If the other battery has stuff that runs while the engine is off then you may wan to shift every thing to the first battery, and use the second one for starting only.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 am 
Narwhal

The factory Horizon dual battery setup allows either battery to be the starting battery - unless something has changed, there is no separation of House and starting systems. I'd pick your A battery for the connections marked starting battery. Your owners manual has a dual battery wiring diagram showing exactly what is wired to each battery, might be worth a peek. I might pull down an electronic version later and take a look for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:03 am 
Narwhal

Downloaded the electrical schematics and verified the stock wiring of the dual batteries is standard A or B, not House and starting. One note of interest was the way the bilge pump(s) is/are wired, the stock harness ties them to the active battery via the switch, rather than dedicated to one battery or the other. Anyway, you mention the far battery has additional wiring attached to it. I suspect that this is not stock. Is there evidence of any owner installed after-market accessories? As stated before, I'd be inclined to attach the charger wiring marked 'starter' to the A battery.