www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: battery issues....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:03 pm 
Sting Ray

Hey Everyone, My name is Ian, Wabamun Lake Alberta

Running a 1994 Vista 238 with cobra 5.8.

My altenator is working, voltage check & pulled negative battery cable while running...

Batteries are new... 2 naultus marine, one 650 cranking amp & one 1000 cranking amp...

I really don't know what is up..... put a new battery in starts & runs fine.... shut down for a while with no electrical on (except the bilge pump which is hard wired) try to start and get the click click click dead battery sound. so I figured since that battery was not going to start the boat anyhow and I had a spare I'd turn on the radio for a bit then change out batteries...after 30 mins of radio on the boat started..confused..

Spent last night on the boat, woke up would not start, put in spare battery would not start (click click click) hooked up a honda 700 watt generator to the battery, still would not start... towed back to the dock. I've tested both batteries an they are both lower than they should be but far from dead. I have them on charge now so they will be full again but that does not solve my problem.

The boat is set up with a 1500 watt inverter with 1,2 both & off switch but it is not currently hooked up, I don't know how to hook it up but figure until I find out the source of my drain/connection problems there is no use.

I've been told it might be the charge regulator?????? where is this? how difficult is it to change?

Any ideas..

4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 horses, 4 acres, an amazing wife, a boat and no time....

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Post subject: Re: battery issues....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:08 am 
email admin your custom rank

Sound like the inverter is draining the batteries, can you disconnet it to test that theory? Or possible loose connections at the starter, you need to seperate the battries from any possible drain. Start by pulling fuses and watch you amp draw on a multi meter.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:38 pm 

Is it possible that your starter solenoid is acting up?

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:42 pm 
Sting Ray

Put a newly charged battery in and got it running...

Started playing around with it, turned the battery selector to "off" while motoring along and then out of the blue she stalled??????

put the battery selector back onto "both" started it up and then switched the battery selector back to "off" ran for another 10 mins then stalled....

when I got to my anchorage spot we started doing some testing... turned the batery selector to off and tested the altenator... only charging at 9.2V...last time we tested the battery was turned on.

So I'm going to start with a new altenator and het an electrician to wire up my battery selector/charge controler properly.

On a separate subject altogether, blew out a leaf spring on my tanam axle traler last night with the boat loaded, some glad wasn't on the highway...

Got it jacked blocked up and the axle strapped in place with a 3 ton sling, took the boat back to the lake and now the trailer is getting a beefy overhaul...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:05 am 

Check the ground points on the engine, there could be a few. They well be corroded or loose. Faulty ground ( -ve) connections can cause some strange issues, including the engine continuing to run with the ignition switched off, as I found a few years ago!

Also, a "1-both-2-off" battery switch should not be turned to "off" with the engine running; nor should the positive or negative cables to the battery/ batteries be disconnected with the engine running; a sure fire way to damage the alternator or to get a spark. If you want to switch from 1 to 2 with the engine running, it should be done via the "both" position; that way the alternator is always connected to a battery when running.

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 pm 
Sting Ray

Thanks for the info, I was unaware this could damage the alternator it's how I've always been told to test on a vehicle.

Put in a new Altenator and she seems to be charging fine and battery power is not an issue. Starting however still has issues. I still get the "click click click" when I turn the key, then I turn the key back try again and she starts. I guess I need to go thru all connections and make sure I don't have a loose connection somewhere. I know squat about electrical but I have a buddy who knows his stuff and he's gonna come help me with some trouble shooting.... I've been told it could be as simple as a solenoid but no sense buying one until we test further........

Graham R wrote:
Check the ground points on the engine, there could be a few. They well be corroded or loose. Faulty ground ( -ve) connections can cause some strange issues, including the engine continuing to run with the ignition switched off, as I found a few years ago!

Also, a "1-both-2-off" battery switch should not be turned to "off" with the engine running; nor should the positive or negative cables to the battery/ batteries be disconnected with the engine running; a sure fire way to damage the alternator or to get a spark. If you want to switch from 1 to 2 with the engine running, it should be done via the "both" position; that way the alternator is always connected to a battery when running.

Graham

Last edited by Bogger on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:12 pm 
Nauti Luv

1. Triple check all of your ground wires.
2. Starter could be an issue.
3. Triple check for corrosion inside the battery wires.
4. Never (as you have already learned) run the engine with the battery switch in the "off" position.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Sting Ray

Man I hope it's not the starter...according to the guys at the marine shop I have to pull the motor to change out the starter..

Thanks for the tips.. I start small and easy... and work my way up to the more serious and difficult...

aguyindallas wrote:
1. Triple check all of your ground wires.
2. Starter could be an issue.
3. Triple check for corrosion inside the battery wires.
4. Never (as you have already learned) run the engine with the battery switch in the "off" position.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm 

Sound like the solonoid is toast.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:41 pm 

It could also be a bad diode in the alternator which is a one way check valve so the altnenator does not drain the battery, have seen it go bad before and can make you pull your hair out if you dont know about it. Have it tested I could be wrong...maybe.

God luck,

Mike