www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:08 am 
Starfish

This is my second boat and the first with dual batteries. My questions is on the selector switch, the options are A,B,OFF,Both (something like that), if the "A" is selected is that the only one getting charged by the alternator or will both batteries recieve a charge? Also, where do you usually have yours set on, A, B, Both or do you switch it up weekend to weekend?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:10 am 
email admin your custom rank

On your model, the selector switch also determines which battery is charging. Therefore, you should either alternate between batteries or, while running the engine (after a start), turn the selector to BOTH.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:44 pm 
Starfish

Is there a reason that you can't start the engine with "both" batteries? Also, when I bought the boat the previous owner said that the switch in there isn't made to be used (switching batteries) while the engine is running, because it could cause damage. Can that happen?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:52 pm 

You certainly can start the engine in the BOTH position. The main thing that you would want to remember, is to switch to just one battery when the engine is not running, and you are using battery power. This way, you do not run the other battery down, and you can always start the engine. And then, remember to charge the one battery that got discharged.

Our 97 245 Sundowner had this same switch and system, and I could switch the selector while the engine was running. Just don't go to (or through) the OFF position.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 pm 

Starting with BOTH, in very rare cases, could cause a dead battery to drain the good battery's current and leave you without enough power to start the engine. If neither battery is dead, then BOTH is perfectly fine.

You can turn the switch between 1, BOTH, and 2 while running. Turning from any of those positions to OFF and then back to one of those positions again while running CAN be harmful to your electricals, though.

My practice in my similar setup is to use 1 one day, then switch over to 2 the next. If I feel that one might not have gotten charged back up when cruising, I'll switch to BOTH to get them both charging while cruising.

Really, the only mistake you can make is to leave it on BOTH with the engine off while using power.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:14 am 
Starfish

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

Matt