www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:33 pm 
Minnow

Hi,
We are looking to get a Vista 268 in the US and moor it in Europe where we go boating. For the external shore power hook up we are hoping to get a heavy duty step-down transformer/converter (240v->120v 4000 watt). My question is for electrical parts that might need replacing, such as light bulbs, bulbs for navigation lights, etc is there a problem obtaining these parts in Europe or using the European parts? I guess this might be a question for a FW dealers in Europe...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 am 
email admin your custom rank

I believe the internal light bulbs, navigation lights etc are 12V; it's things like the microwave, fridge etc using 120V that probably have 120V bulbs; it's probably worth buying a few spare ones in the US and ship them over with the boat !

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:53 am 
Minnow

Hi,

I see you are based in the UK (where I am currently living). Did you buy your FW in Europe or have it shipped in the US? If bought from the US, did you have any problems using a step-down transformer?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:08 am 

Mine was an officially imported one via a Four Winns dealer; it actually has 220V shore power, which I have never used, but in a Sundowner all it's got is one electrical outlet (they fit them with a European socket into which a UK adapter is fitted, rather than a dedicated UK socket!) Heavy duty single phase step down transformers are easy to find here, as on building sites etc 110V equipment is judged to be safer than using 220-240 V ones.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:53 pm 
Dolphin

Hi all.
Graham be carefull, on-site staep down transformers are 55-0-55 not 110-0-110. You are correct that large 3Kva step downs are available in IP66 cases and if you know they are well priced.

When i brought my 358V back fom Fl last year and then moved her to Portugal, i installed two 3Kva step downs as i have two insputs A\C and Mains, i then installed a 110/230 step up in then then Coffe machine area where i have the Trac Sat Tv/decoder and BlueRay( remove Coffe maker and had Four Winns make me a new doors for the coffee maker area and also the Tv (center) i moved the new 32" to the back head liner my the steps). From this i also have a dual outlet for Kettle etc.
The only piece of equipment that did not work on the step down was the Ice Maker in the rear ( uses a analogue step A\C motor)
The A\c works fine as does the batttery chargers and stove fridges etc, all lighting is 12V.
I would like to add i spent about £4,000 on a CE plate/RCD Plate, this makes the import completely legit as well as paying the VAT on import.
I have owned my 358V since new in Us Aug 08 and would be happy to help anyone with questions on import, i learnt alot!!!!!!!!!!!!! buy a trailer in US!!!!!

sean

sj@odms.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 pm 

Sean,

Thanks for pointing out the 55-0-55 V set up! I didn't realise that, having never looked inside one. That makes more sense to me now; possible accidental exposure to +/-55V compared to +110 V, +110V to me still seemed pretty dangerous!! Would using one show up as a polarity fault with the US 120V set up?

Those extruded aluminium I beam US trailers look extremely nice, light and functional; it can't take much to make them road legal in the UK and the rest of Europe.

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:41 am 
Dolphin

Hi Graham, Yes i would expect a polarity fault using a saftey transformer. The trailers, with my 358 the boat and trailer is 11 T so there is no way you could tow. The trailer itself it 2 tonnes, the brakes are a problem as they us Electric over hydraulic, you can get it converted but then you need ABS fitted and that is a minefield. I use my trailer to keep her on when she is out of the water, as i have her in the Algarve i actual keep her out the water and launch when i go over. Also just had the drives replaced from the XDP to the new DPS-A under warrenty. The new drives are much smoother and seem to grip the water better as well as solid metal!!!!!!!

\\\\

Cheers

Sean