www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vista Batteries
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 am 
Starfish

Hi,

3 w/e's ago my windless was struggling to pull up the anchor and now this w/e the radio, water pumps etc ran out of juice.
I'm a green horn when it comes to boat electronics so any advice will be appreciated :oops:

Here are some clues:

Everything powers up when the engine is running.
She has been plugged into shore power for the 3 weeks I've been away. And at all other times.
None of the above (radio etc) work when she is plugged into the shore power.
The fridge was cold, so shore power is working.
She starts up first time.

So is it the house battery that has given up the ghost? They must be at least 4 years old. Or is their an issue with the charger? I'm guessing the altenator works fine as there are no problems when the engine is running.

The V278 battery control (red switch) does not allow for a choice between bat 1 and bat 2, it's either on or off.
Any advise please? Would you suggest I connect a multi meter to each battery?
Thanks,
Oliver

Post subject: Re: Vista Batteries
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hi

Most wet cells are only good for 3 years!!!! I would change them out no matter what!!

Try going to a AGM type battery, cost more but last longer, higher output too.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:07 pm 
wkearney99

Batteries do wear out. Especially if they get drained too much. It sounds like you need at least one new battery.

When charging the 12v circuits should provide around 13 volts. When on battery alone there should be around 12.1 volts. Do not operate things if the power drops below 10.5 volts as that will lead to wearing out the battery faster. If you don't see 13v or greater during charging then you may have a problem with either the alternator or the shore power charger. If a battery is depleted too much it may not be possible to bring it back to life with just the alternator. Most shore power chargers would have enough power, but not if the battery is worn out.

I don't know how your particular boat batteries are laid out. But most do have more than one 'bank' of batteries. That way you always have power to start the engines even when another bank goes dead. On larger boats a 'bank' may have more than one battery in it. I've set up our 348 to have three batteries in the 'house' bank. One 12v and two in-series 6v batteries.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 am 

Hi to ALL!!!

Here are 2 links that can answer a lot of questions: http://www.powerstream.com/SLA.htm and http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

The normal voltage of a 12V wet call is ABOUT 12.7 to 12.8 volts. Charge voltage should be ABOUT 13.5 to 13.8 volts. If your battery hits 11.9 to 11.8 volts, it is already 60% discharged. If it does down to 10.5 volts, it is dead. You may read voltage, power a led light, but will not pull any real current out of it!!

Rule of thumb, never go under 11.8 to 11.7 volts.

Sears sells a GREAT battery under there "platinum" name. Made by Oddessy

GOOD LUCK
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:08 am 
Guppy

Vista Battery is a all in one, secure, reliable, most durable and right batteries. As per my knowledge, Vista Battery is a company that specialized in offering you the best quality lowest priced batteries, battery chargers and accessories. It also offers a wide selection of replacement two way radio batteries.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 am 

Hi

Maybe I am talking out of turn!! On that I am sorry, but I have never heard of a Vista battery. When I googled it, it came back with nothing on batteries.

I would check out the Odyssey battery, it is made to "mil" specs. Sears, sells it under there name for a lower price. It comes with a 48 month REPLACEMENT & a 100 month prorated warranty.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

Paul