www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:08 am 
I'm ordering a new GPS Speedo http://www.speedhut.com for my boat as I'm sick of screwing with the tube getting clogged every year. :x . My boat's down at the lake about 4 hours from here. Anyone know off hand if the gauge is a 3-3/8" or 4" bezel, and the top MPH speed on the gauge? :?

Thanks. They told me that I could order the 120mph unit and they would re-scale it for whatever range I wished at no charge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:11 am 
email admin your custom rank

Stupid question!!!! The speedo goes for $220.00 What about a GPS??? It would do the same, PLUS, never got lost, for about $100 more.

http://www.boatersland.com/gpsmap421.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:47 pm 
Excuse me oh anointed one...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:30 pm 

I'm with you SMLBound. I want an in dash reliable speedometer. The crappy pitot tube system sucks. It probably costs more for that system than the gps speedo (including labor).. I don't know why all new boats aren't equiped with gps speedos. I also don't know why ther aren't more manufacturers/models out there that would drive down the price. It is still just a very basic gps. I don't want more stuff attached to my dash or in the helm area. If I need to look at gps for location, I'll pull out the TomTom, or my iPhone. But I'm not having to navigate around the horn of Africa, I am just cruising around some lakes. The speed reading on my Tom Tom is tiny also - making it difficult to use while at speed. This was also discussed on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6273

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:54 am 
Dolphin,

Yep, for all the reasons you mentioned... I too can circum-navigate my lake in the dark blindfolded so don't need GPS charts with my smart-phone handy, I don't want added wires and electronics gear rattling around or drilled into my dash, or worry about having a GPS stolen everytime I park at a marina, but most importantly I just hate the idea of sitting in the captain's chair looking down at a perfectly good factory speedo gauge that reads 0 all the time. So the GPS speedo gauge seems to be the ticket for me - (not for everyone... but for me). Now when my wife pulls me out of the water on a slolom ski, she'll know her 'real' speed everytime.

It's supposed to be near 80 this weekend at the lake looking forward to getting down there - have the fever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 am 
268 Vista

SMLBound wrote:

:lol: Yes, the "all kowing one" can be hard to digest. :mrgreen:

This is an interesting topic which I have not looked into before. My Speedo tube is in the outdrive, and
gets clogged several times per year. I may consider one of these myself. For now, the Speedview App on my
phone will do, but it's not as nice as having it in the dash. I did a little searching and there are several types
and models of GPS Speedo's available. Have any of you looked into the Sierra/Teleflex line ? The gage itself can be had
for right around $100. That's not bad at all.

GPS Speedometers

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:40 am 

SMLBound wrote:

SORRY!!! I did not mean to upset any one! I was just wondering why?? Thats why I also started out with "Stupid question".

I do my boating on the ocean and have never seen a boat with a speedo. So this is all new to me, I take it that, from some of the past posting that it is questionable on you using a GPS on lakes. Were it is just the opposite for ocean boating. You never leave home with out a GPS & VHF.

Again, sorry, I am still leaning the differences of what the lake boaters do to the ocean boaters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:55 am 
268 Vista

Paul I. wrote:
SMLBound wrote:

I do my boating on the ocean and have never seen a boat with a speedo. So this is all new to me,

They are kind of rare here in the midwest as well, but you do see them from time to time. To help
you understand, here is a picture of one.....

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 am 

Good lord, Cap'n....

Was that really necessary? I damn near spit my coffee all over my computer screen.....

Good find on the Teleflex line - relatively inexpensive. I do like that you can customize the speedgut units to "match" your existing gauges, but that does come at a cost.

Still no help on knowing what size his gauges are from anyone, however....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:13 pm 
Paul I. wrote:
SMLBound wrote:

SORRY!!! I did not mean to upset any one! I was just wondering why?? Thats why I also started out with "Stupid question".

I do my boating on the ocean and have never seen a boat with a speedo. So this is all new to me, I take it that, from some of the past posting that it is questionable on you using a GPS on lakes. Were it is just the opposite for ocean boating. You never leave home with out a GPS & VHF.

Again, sorry, I am still leaning the differences of what the lake boaters do to the ocean boaters.

No sweat Paul, it was good for a chuckle... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:16 pm 
Capt'n,

And did he have to be a in speedo too? How completely appropriate to the topic, but completely wrong at the same time! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:02 am 

I'm trying to save my pennies for a Perfect Pass system like the one Walt installed. Definitely more expensive, but that would be livin the good life as far as I'm concerned.