www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:01 pm 
Seahorse

Just had my 2011 H180 in the shop for the 20 hour service. I had the dealer install an hourmeter under the engine cover, digital, i dont know the brand. I know from the posts ive read that the hourmeter is typically tied into the wiring for the ignition so that when the key is turned to the right, whether the engine is started or not, the hourmeter tracks time. This is not a problem for me, since the Volvo is set up such that an alarm sounds when the key is in that position until the engine actually starts. The alarms is loud so there is no chance the key will be left in that position - and the hourmeter will be counting - unless the engine is actually running.
I asked the dealer whether they wired it way. He said no, instead they tie into the spark plug wiring somehow which ensures the meter only counts when the motor is running. Ok, i thought, whatever works.
I ran the boat for about three hours, with a few stops thrown in every half hour or so, then pulled the boat out and began my flush routine. I remembered then the out of sight hourmeter and took a look. It read .3 hours, which was longer than i'd been running it at that point on the flush but way less than my on the water run time. Almost seemed like the hour meter was reset when i turned the motor off and pulled it out, and the .3 hours on the display was the amount of time spent running since the last time i started instead of total run time, except it hadnt been on the flush but for about 5 minutes at the time.
Plus the alarm begain to sound at that point. The temp read normal, oil pressure too though there did not seem to be very much water coming out of the exhaust. I cut the engine, put the boat away and logged onto ifourwinns.com.
I think the two problems are unrelated, but a bit miffed that im having any problems so soon after a thorough (and expensive) service. Any thoughts on what might be causing either issue? Thx