www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

93 190 Horizon SS, 5.0 Ford H.O. OMC.
Get a pegged-up reading when switched-on. Thought it was ground related, ran a new ground, no change. The weird thing is, when I blow the horn or turn on the nav-light switch it (gauge) drops down to about 1/4-up.......No change when underway, trim operates perfectly, but the gauge is pegged-up. Ideas??

Jimbo

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 pm 

Sounds like a short. You may have wires that have chaffed and are shorting out when you run a current thru them.

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:17 pm 
Villiage Idiot

My $0.02...
Sounds like a corroded or poor connection to me.
You can "prove" this by getting a jumper wire (aligator clips if you got 'em) and connect the trim gage ground direct to the batt ground (Neg). If it works fine after that, then the problem is on the ground side in between. After that, you can also trouble shoot a little further by going from the gage gnd to the helm common gnd (if it's in the helm circuit), or the helm common gnd to the batt gnd (if it's in the return to the batt)

Start at your batt(s), remove each connection, clean them up with a scotch-brite pad, and re-assemble with no-ox if you have some. Do that at each of the "Major" coonections (batt, grounds and helm), and those related to your trim..... but most importantly, the grounds!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:20 pm 

Walt wrote:
My $0.02...
Sounds like a corroded or poor connection to me.
You can "prove" this by getting a jumper wire (aligator clips if you got 'em) and connect the trim gage ground direct to the batt ground (Neg). If it works fine after that, then the problem is on the ground side in between. After that, you can also trouble shoot a little further by going from the gage gnd to the helm common gnd (if it's in the helm circuit), or the helm common gnd to the batt gnd (if it's in the return to the batt)

Start at your batt(s), remove each connection, clean them up with a scotch-brite pad, and re-assemble with no-ox if you have some. Do that at each of the "Major" coonections (batt, grounds and helm), and those related to your trim..... but most importantly, the grounds!

I did clean the terminals on both batts. Walt, Bad?? No, but they did need a little cleaning. The jumper I ran from the gauge, I ran to the fuse-block and completely removed the stock ground(s) from the gauge. The smallish factory-ground , I cannot find on the motor or harness at the helm, I will try your suggestion of a deticated-ground from the battery and see what happens. I've got a low-reading temp gauge also, which I believe is ground-related too. I may just disco the stock ground at the fuse-block and re-connect with a new one, battery-direct. I'll see what happens...

Thanks, Jimbo

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:12 pm 

The way to test those senders, is to disconnect the wires where the come through the transom and into the engine harness, and hook up an ohm meter to the leads, and then cycle the trim up and down, the resistance should vary from about zero to about 200 ohms. If it's bad, keep in mind that the OE ones are no longer available but Sierra Marine makes an aftermarket replacement, I found it on http://www.iboats.com

The wires are a PAIN to snake through the transom, my mechanic made a modification that makes it much easier....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:44 pm 

LouC wrote:
The way to test those senders, is to disconnect the wires where the come through the transom and into the engine harness, and hook up an ohm meter to the leads, and then cycle the trim up and down, the resistance should vary from about zero to about 200 ohms. If it's bad, keep in mind that the OE ones are no longer available but Sierra Marine makes an aftermarket replacement, I found it on http://www.iboats.com

The wires are a PAIN to snake through the transom, my mechanic made a modification that makes it much easier....

The said "modification" :D is next.......I saw that one comming . I'm going to try the ground first tho.

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 pm 

Got it traced to the 18 year old sender. FYI Sierra PN# S18-7634 is the replacement. Got one on the way. It replaces the OMC 984748, which is now obsolete.....

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:51 pm 

I now have a fully operating trim-guage!!!!!! Whoohooo.......Was not that bad to swap either.

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL