www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:03 pm 
Seahorse

Hey guys!

This spring I would like a add a second battery in my boat. I had a problem last year with my friends being careless and listening to the stereo but neglecting to start the boat every once in a while. I do not want this to leave me stranded so I purchased a new battery and a Perko switch. I am curious if you guys have any advice before installing it. Also I was wondering what are you supposed to do for the Trim pump? Do you wire in a second switch so the Perko switch would change over the batteries and the other switch would be for the pump, or how would that work? The boat is an 03 Horizon 180.

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Seems to me that the trim pump would get connected to the Perko switch to run off of whichever battery is selected....

I ordered my boat with the second battery and switch, so I haven't installed one myself, but that's the way it seems to work. The only piece of equipment that is directly connected to a battery as far as I know is the bilge pump, so that it will work regardless of switch position - even if the switch is off (assuming there is a charge in that battery).

Good call on installing a second battery!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:06 am 

It's a pretty easy job, I did this on my '88 Horizon about 6 years ago. I had one batt on the starboard side so I put the other on the port side to balance it out. I bought the 1, 2, Both and Off switch, and measured the runs for the cables. Basically it's easy to wire ,but you have to up size the cable if you have a batt on the other side of the boat from the switch, so as not to increase resistance. I used 2 gauge cables from the closest battery to the switch, for the positive cables and ground cable. But I upsized the positive cable for the far battery because the cable was like 9 feet long (used 1/0 gauge). The way you wire the switch, there are 3 terminals, one goes to pos. batt 1, the other to pos batt 2 and the third goes to the pos terminal on the starter. You can add a battery combiner to eliminate having to alternate the use of batt 1 and batt 2 but I have just alternated the use of each batt when I use the boat and I've never had any dead batt problems in years. I use 2 Deka gp 27 dual purpose batteries, they hold a charge very well. Make sure to use good quality marine battery cables, cheap automotive ones will corrode internally and cause starting and charging issues. For your auto bilge switch, you can wire it to each of the batt terminals on the switch, so it's on even if the switch is off.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:46 am 
Narwhal

Here's my two cents- be sure and plan for covers for all positive and negative terminals. Terminal covers or battery boxes (or both). I'd also strongly suggest a separate grounding cable to the engine block rather than tying the two negative terminals together. Also consider adding a battery combiner/ isolater as used in the Blue Sea Systems Add a Battery package. This allows for separation of house and starting systems and combines both batteries when a charging source is present. Requires far less fiddling with a switch.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:57 am 

I did this last year on my 03 Freedom 180 (basically the same as your Horizon). My boat already had the Perko switch, but only had one battery on the starboard side under the seat that is next to the engine. I do not have the sundeck seating.

It was an easy job. I picked up a battery tray, battery, and stainless screws. My buddy had some rolls of battery cable from re-rigging another boat. I made the lines the length I wanted and ran along the back of the transom to the switch.

Here is the second battery mounted on the port side under the seat.

I have not done it yet, but plan to add a second fuse box that the second battery only powers. That way I can put the radio, GPS, and VHF on the one battery. Both batteries will be available to start the engine, but only the second battery will be used for powering the extra electronics.

Someone mentioned needed a cover for the negative. I will add one, but have not found one at West Marine sold in just black solo. The one that came with the boat did not have one. I think it might be "required" in some states.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am 

Someone mentioned needed a cover for the negative. I will add one, but have not found one at West Marine sold in just black solo. The one that came with the boat did not have one. I think it might be "required" in some states.[/quote]

I got a $180 ticket last season for not having one on one of my batteries!

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:30 am 

Is it a Coast Guard rule or a state rule? Who ticketed you? This economy has every cop writing up anything they can find. I have been stopped while on friends boats and other than the normal, registration, life jackets, throwable cushion, flares, and whistle check they have never even boarded the boat or mentioned the battery.

That being said, better safe than sorry and $15 is cheaper than $180! I just placed my order. See this thread. There is a post from Jim R with a link. Very cheap and I bought not only the negative covers, but also the one he suggested.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:09 am 

[quote="PDACPA"]Is it a Coast Guard rule or a state rule? Who ticketed you? This economy has every cop writing up anything they can find. I have been stopped while on friends boats and other than the normal, registration, life jackets, throwable cushion, flares, and whistle check they have never even boarded the boat or mentioned the battery.

It was a local sheriff. And it was a holiday weekend. They were stopping every boat they could just to inspect them. They had three boats in the river that day as well as the Coast Gaurd boat, DNR boat and one boat we found out was an undercover boat hanging at the sandbar looking for drunks.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 am 

Bet they made a killing on tickets like yours. Undercover???

Here in the gulf we typically see the Sheriff boat (from whatever county) FWC (Fish and Wildlife) and then usually there are some coast guard trainees running around busy areas. Never heard of any undercover ones. Going to have to find out if they have any in the areas we boat.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm 

I have been stopped by the USCG & the Harbor Master. There were only interrested in saftey equipment. Never did look into the engine compartment.

As to the batteries, as mentioned before, I would add a combiner. http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

Here is a link to one, it is only a 3 wire hook up. Unless you use the control wire to manual trun it off, on and auto mode.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:19 pm 

The Coasties here did a safety check on my boat once a few years ago. They did look in the engine compartment, and I have the batts in boxes so no worries. BTW, if you do use boxes, it's a good idea to make up some wood shims so the batts don't slide around in there because they never fit the box snugly enough.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:32 pm 

I bought the fabric strap with the plastic buckles and ran it around the battery as mine are just in a tray. The one pictured has a top to the tray and tightens down (look at the end of the battery on the short sides). I did not think I could fit the box (would have liked it as it would keep the battery enclosed better) and have the seat on top.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:18 pm 

I use this type of battery hold down too, here is a link for it. http://www.seachoice.com/productdetail/ ... -30630.asp

The strapes can break and if you use a battery box, they can bounce inside if it. With this type, is is NOT moving at all and will never come loose. The best part, there only $12 to $15 each.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 am 

That is exactly what I have (and attempted to describe) and was referring to in the post above Paul's on my second battery that I installed. I think I bought mine at west marine. I have the strap on the factory original battery, but agree with Paul, the straps eventually break.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:27 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks for the help everyone! This might sound like a dumb question but how do I wire it to the Perko switch? The pump has a postive and negative cable, so which terminals would I connect them to in order to make it run off both batteries (which ever one is selected). Hopefully I will be getting around to doing this job within the next week or so!