www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:35 am 
Shark

I have a remote control Guest spotlight on my 2004 Vista 268. After a hell ride last summer, the use of it would immediately burn out the fuse. Eventually, the light wouldn't come on at all, but would rotate all day long without blowing a fuse. I have replaced the bulb and still the same problem. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a loose ground that eventually came completely off, although what I know about electronics could fit in a thimble. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

A loose ground or no ground will not cause a fuse to blow. It is a short to ground. The first place i would look is where the wire goes thru the bow rail plate that the light is mounted on an make sure it isn't chaffed thru the insulation. They run that wire thru the bow rail, down the first starboard side bow rail upright and down into the anchor locker. My guess is its somewhere in that area, to be shorted to ground.

If you access your anchor locker thru the deck plate behind the mirror, I think there is a plug connector in there. You could unplug that and turn the switch on, if the fuse doesn't blow, you can be relatively sure its from that point forward.

Good luck

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Or possibly toggle switch that went bad? Mine started to not come on all the time but wasn't blowing fuses. But the control to move it always worked. Turned out to be a bad toggle switch. $4 and 10 minutes.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 am 
Shark

Update: The relay had been glued to the side of the housing inside the light. That came unglued and the ground wire chaffed on the metal motor housing causing the fuse to blow every time I turned it on. It eventually came off the relay completely. A much easier fix than taking half of the boat apart.