www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: oversizing a fuse
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I could have saved a lot of trouble by going to a 7.5A instead of a 5.0A fuse on the FW blower motor... I kept blowing fuses, so I replaced the blower. Upon further inspection of the old blower after I pulled it out, I measured the draw and it was just under 5.0A anyhow and was marginally blowing the fuse... Needless to say once you have the thing out, its just as easy to put in a new one as the old. It just took a while to get in cause it was all the way in the back on my H200... not easy to get the screws back in at all! If by chance I have the problem again I will measure the draw first right at the fuse panel and just up the fuse to 7.5A if it is marginal...
I guess my point is, you could always test it at the fuse panel before you start taking stuff apart... if it is marginal you should be ok to up the fuse...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:18 pm 

I believe a 3" bullet head nail is good for 250 amps...! :lol:

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 am 

skidaddytn wrote:
I could have saved a lot of trouble by going to a 7.5A instead of a 5.0A fuse on the FW blower motor... I kept blowing fuses, so I replaced the blower. Upon further inspection of the old blower after I pulled it out, I measured the draw and it was just under 5.0A anyhow and was marginally blowing the fuse... Needless to say once you have the thing out, its just as easy to put in a new one as the old. It just took a while to get in cause it was all the way in the back on my H200... not easy to get the screws back in at all! If by chance I have the problem again I will measure the draw first right at the fuse panel and just up the fuse to 7.5A if it is marginal...
I guess my point is, you could always test it at the fuse panel before you start taking stuff apart... if it is marginal you should be ok to up the fuse...

To go from 5 to 7.5A fuse, is not that bad. More so in dealing with 12V D.C. I might have missed it, but what is the blower rated, you need to ask your self?? If is is 5 amps, (you tested the load) and the wire is #16 or better (depending on run length), than you should be fine with a 7.5A fuse. I would also take a voltage reading at the motor too!! I have stated this in many past posting, I feel that FW under sizes there wires and do not use marine wire. At lest from what I have sean. If it is under 11V with a load, that too could be your problem. PLEASE test the voltage and let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 am 

The best advice yet, use an ammeter to see exactly what the current draw is.

You can make a simple fuse block connector using an open ATC fuse, solder a wire onto each side at the top, put alligator clips on each wire and use these to connect your ammeter into the circuit.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:56 am 

if you can intercept at the fuse panel with either alligator clips or solder, put an ammeter in line... you will be able to find out if it is marginal or really bad (in that case-- replace it!) I really believe the old blower I replaced (not even 4 years old) is still good.... just marginally drawing more current

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:04 pm 
Guppy

SeaHorse...

Before you repace your trim motor or set your boat on fire, you might take a close look at the trim switch wires where they pass through the throttle control. It is very common that they become chaffed and short circuit. Also, when this happens it can seem intermittent because it may only short when you're trimming either up or down and only when the throttle position is at a specific spot, which can be in forward or reverse. I've repaired my sundowner, one friend's Horizon, and another friend's Chapparrel, all with VP's.