www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:39 pm 
268 Vista

This explains it better than I could. Ask your girlfriend to read it to you.

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/speci ... evauto.htm

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
This explains it better than I could. Ask your girlfriend to read it to you.

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/speci ... evauto.htm

The chevy 305 never came with 4 bolt mains from GM, they don't exist unless an engine builder used an aftermarket conversion kit. Mercruiser did not. In fact, all Mercruiser/Volvo/OMC small blocks (5.0, 5.7) are 2 bolt main engines. A brass freeze plug kit is $10. Otherwise? It's just a standard car engine as I mentioned with a different cam. Nothing special. No special "marine" parts needed unless it's for USCG law. The 3.0 does need oil with zinc in it though, as it's a flat tappet engine and without it the cam will round off decreasing HP.

Running gas with ethanol is no problem for boats either, you have to tune the carb/run bigger jets and set your ignition timing up a few degrees. There's plenty of tuner sites that explain how to make your car run on this new E10 gas and remove the stumbling and hesitation on an engine tuned for gas without ethanol (all marine engines). Holley makes some great tech articles on what to do. Heck, your boat could run amazing on E85 no problem if you tuned it correctly.

Sorry guy. You got attacked by false information on the internet, happens to everyone.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 pm 

The reason I purchased Mallory Marine wires was because they are 8mm. Volvo Penta wires are 7mm and cost more. Explain that one. :roll:

If you noticed, Sierra oil filters (and even yamaha) do NOT have a high pressure release built into them.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/shipyard-is ... ics.html#b

That's insane. If your filter gets clogged, your engine doesn't get oil. Even the cheapest purolator has the high pressure release built in so you don't seize your engine if you're running old oil with an old filter (as most boaters do). It's basically a big spring on top of the filter to where if there's too much pressure it moves out of the way allowing oil to go around the filter not through it.

Running one of those filters is basically screwing on a device to blow your engine. What junk that is. I guess it keeps the marine mechanics busy rebuilding seized engines.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:51 am 

I am definitely going to do my research on my filter and make sure it has the flow through option. The engine is 11 plus grand brand new not installed so I am definitely not playing with buying a cheap filter that can screw up my engine. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 am 

I must say from reading the past postings, I am here at work laughing!!! Ric, I will say that, yes, mainly you are correct. But the block is a truck engine, not a car engine. I have heard this point for years!! As far as other "mods" as the bearings and other things. I take them with a grain of salt. After all, look who is writing that article.

As to the valve timing, I find that hard to believe, but I could be wrong. But that’s what the rises are for, and I “think” there should be a (what I will call) a one-way flapper, that will close if water tries to get in.

To th U.S.C.G., they just don't want you to blow you'er self up!! They don't care if your engine has more "were and tear" on it.

OH!! I hope your girl friend did read to you last night!! I love it when my wife reads to me, late into the night and……………

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:06 am 

Paul I. wrote:
I must say from reading the past postings, I am here at work laughing!!! Ric, I will say that, yes, mainly you are correct. But the block is a truck engine, not a car engine. I have heard this point for years!! As far as other "mods" as the bearings and other things. I take them with a grain of salt. After all, look who is writing that article.

As to the valve timing, I find that hard to believe, but I could be wrong. But that’s what the rises are for, and I “think” there should be a (what I will call) a one-way flapper, that will close if water tries to get in.

To th U.S.C.G., they just don't want you to blow you'er self up!! They don't care if your engine has more "were and tear" on it.

OH!! I hope your girl friend did read to you last night!! I love it when my wife reads to me, late into the night and……………

As far as a "truck" small block chevy vs. a "car" engine, there are no internal differences. The only casting differences between small block chevy's from the mid 80s (the style of engine mercruiser uses even in 2011 engines) was 2 or 4 bolt main that was an option available in the 350, not 305. There was in the late 70's a few 4 bolt main 305's cast for Canadian use, but their dipstick is on the driver's side (port side). All mercruiser 5.0's have their dipstick on the starboard side. 2 bolt.

Marine Dealers will tell you otherwise that marine engines are 100% different and special. Why?? Because they want $300 for a power steering pump instead of $25 at the local auto parts store. $30 for a alternator belt when it's $5 at the DAP. $50 for crappy 7mm plug wires. Etc. Etc.

Boats are a novelty item. You will pay novelty prices. Some stuff you just can't get away from that are boat specific, but generic parts are generic and you can shop anywhere. From what I've seen in owning a boat for only a few months now... these "marine" specific parts are cheap junk. It's almost like they are designed to break and wear out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 am 

ric wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

As far as a "truck" small block chevy vs. a "car" engine, there are no internal differences. The only casting differences between small block chevy's from the mid 80s (the style of engine mercruiser uses even in 2011 engines) was 2 or 4 bolt main that was an option available in the 350, not 305. There was in the late 70's a few 4 bolt main 305's cast for Canadian use, but their dipstick is on the driver's side (port side). All mercruiser 5.0's have their dipstick on the starboard side. 2 bolt.

Marine Dealers will tell you otherwise that marine engines are 100% different and special. Why?? Because they want $300 for a power steering pump instead of $25 at the local auto parts store. $30 for a alternator belt when it's $5 at the DAP. $50 for crappy 7mm plug wires. Etc. Etc.

Boats are a novelty item. You will pay novelty prices. Some stuff you just can't get away from that are boat specific, but generic parts are generic and you can shop anywhere. From what I've seen in owning a boat for only a few months now... these "marine" specific parts are cheap junk. It's almost like they are designed to break and wear out.

I don't think you understand me, sorry. I am agreeing with you. But I am also saying, you need to be careful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm 

Well, this really sucks. Got the wires and cap. I 10x times checked to verify the plug wires were the correct part number. In fact, on all the cross reference charts they are the right part number. They do not fit, wrong ends. This blows.