www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Engine - Odometer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 pm 
Starfish

Hi,

Ive had a very very unfortunate time with my '06 V278 where Ive had to replace the charger, starter, alternator, re build the leg and am now finally replacing the engine all in the space of a year and Volvo can still not tell my why water got sucked into my engine causing all these issues.

Any before I pull our more hair while writting this, does anyone know how I go about resetting my odometer once the new engine arrives from Marine Parts Express?
I assume this is the appropriate move?

Thanks,
Oliver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am 
email admin your custom rank

This is spam, right?!?!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:40 pm 
Starfish

Nope genuine, possibly naive, question..... :?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:32 pm 

If you put it on jack stands and run it in reverse it will take the miles off it. Is it in kilometers or miles???

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 pm 
Starfish

Sounds good, I was actually planning to reverse over the international date line a couple of time to speed things up :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:02 pm 

Let me know when you do it? I want to be there!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:15 am 

Olivergm wrote:
Hi,

Any before I pull our more hair while writting this, does anyone know how I go about resetting my odometer once the new engine arrives from Marine Parts Express?
I assume this is the appropriate move?

Oliver

Since everyone seems to be giving you a hard time. I'm going to assume your talking about a hobbs meter or hour meter. I am not aware that they can be reset. You can put a new one in or record in your logs when you put the new engine in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:29 am 

Oliver,

Your boat being a 2006 one has I presume Faria instrumentation, the tachometer incorporating an hour meter. I really don't know if that hour meter can be reset; you could contact the Faria service department, they were very helpful when I had a tachometer replaced under warranty.

Talking of which, they offer a Worldwide lifetime warranty should an instrument fail. I had a tachometer where the needle would "peg" at various RPM. A very common problem apparently. Faria replaced it with a new tachometer under warranty ( cost a set handling fee which was a lot less than a new one would have been), so my tachometer started from zero hours ( I made a note in the service records of the hours before replacement, I won't be trying to deceive anyone when I eventually sell the boat!).

If your's were to develop such a common fault, that's an option to get the hour meter to zero hours !

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 pm 

It could be illegal to reset it. The hour meter is like an odometer to a car. BUT, I am not sure on that one. I would replace it, in that way, no one could say you did anything wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm 

How many hours do you have on the tach? If not that many, then keep the meter unplugged and then plug it back in when your new engine catches up to the hours. Those things are a joke anyway unless you are going to sell your boat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:21 pm 

298VISTA2000 wrote:
Those things are a joke anyway unless you are going to sell your boat.

I don't understand:

They indicate RPM (when they work) so they are a joke ( useless?)

or

They indicate the total number of engine hours so they are a joke (useless? ) Maintenance intervals and when the number of engine hours exceeds the yearly usual hours spring to mind.

All anyone has to do if they want to deceive a buyer (when they have/ want to sell a boat) is to disconnect the tacho/ hourmeter from new. Ten year old boat, less than 1 engine hour use as the 85 year old owner died due to the excitement of having a new boat or a new 20 year old wife; honestly. Somehow I don't think so !

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:59 pm 

Graham R wrote:
298VISTA2000 wrote:
Those things are a joke anyway unless you are going to sell your boat.

I don't understand:

They indicate RPM (when they work) so they are a joke ( useless?)

or

They indicate the total number of engine hours so they are a joke (useless? ) Maintenance intervals and when the number of engine hours exceeds the yearly usual hours spring to mind.

All anyone has to do if they want to deceive a buyer (when they have/ want to sell a boat) is to disconnect the tacho/ hourmeter from new. Ten year old boat, less than 1 engine hour use as the 85 year old owner died due to the excitement of having a new boat or a new 20 year old wife; honestly. Somehow I don't think so !

Graham

I meant hour meter Graham and not tachometer (my bad). However, if you are going to keep your boat for long-term and never sell her, then you don't need an hour meter because you are going to change your oil in your engines once a year, impellars ever two or three years regardless of hours used. Other engine maintenance dictates itself IMO. I have owned my boat for 11 years and have around 900 hours on each of my engines (I guess) and find the hour meter as useless as my trim gauges. Does it matter to me how many hours I have on my boat? Not at all because I will run her until she quits running regardless of hours. My tech accidently unhooked my port hour meter so now when I go to the boat and stay at the slip, I turn the key to my port engine on to get the hours to catch up to my starboard. Maybe I should just unhook the starboard hour meter instead? LOL. What a joke.