www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've done a Google search on this but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. I've got a new-ish (less than a year old) battery charger that can do a fast, trickle charge, or maintain. I use it for my two batteries on my boat and they were brand new last season. Everything charges just fine there with no issues.

I've previously used it for my riding lawnmower battery as well. Hooked it up to my riding lawnmower battery this winter and it started corroding the positive terminal on the battery and the positive alligator clip for the charger is now corroded and completely trashed. I understand all of the stuff about gases the battery gives off but this batter is charging in my garage on a wooden workbench with plenty of ventilation. The gases shouldn't be an issue in this case. I keep all of my battery terminals very clean and coated with dielectric grease.

So what the hell is causing this corrosion? Is the lawnmower battery going bad? WTF?!

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 pm 

What happens when you use the on-board charger on the boat?? I bet it is covered for the winter, yes?? If so, I would wait until the spring and try it off the boats charger. See if the same thing happens...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:34 pm 

Sometimes a very small crack in the case of the batt will allow fumes out which will cause the corrosion, we had this on a car batt once. Replaced the batt and no more corrosion. Try the same charger on another batt, if it does not corrode that could be it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:37 am 

I would have to think the same as Lou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 am 

pet575 wrote:
I use it for my two batteries on my boat and they were brand new last season. Everything charges just fine there with no issues....

I've previously used it for my riding lawnmower battery as well. Hooked it up to my riding lawnmower battery this winter and it started corroding the positive terminal on the battery and the positive alligator clip for the charger is now corroded and completely trashed.

It works just fine on my two boat batteries. Don't have an onboard charging system-this charger/maintainer is what I use in my home garage during the winter after I pull the batteries for winter storage.

I guess what has me mostly confused is that the negative terminal and battery charger connector have remained PERFECT. Not a single bit of corrosion on them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to replace the riding mower battery this spring and just see what happens from there. Was just making sure there wasn't something simple, or something complicated that I didn't understand, that I wasn't thinking about.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 pm 
230 Mike

I'm with Lou too. I'm guessing you've got a tiny crack right where the positive terminal emerges, or a problem with the terminal itself, so that there's a concentration of vent gas right at the terminal as opposed to being able to dilute with room air at the normal vent locations.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic