www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:53 am 
Guppy

I woke up early this morning and decided to install the aux trim switch I bought not long ago. Like we're supposed to I store my boat with the drive down which means to move it I must raise the drive. I guess I'm getting older and fatter and it's just getting harder to climb up the side of the trailer to reach the trim control at the helm. I got this switch from Bass Pro Shops http://www.basspro.com/Transom-Trim-Control/product/1154/59036, partly because I had enough Bass Pro points to pay for it and partly because I just like the way it looks. I was slightly surprised by how large it actually is (see last pic) but I do believe that it is appropriately sized, any smaller an it would be too fragile I think.
Install was super simple, took longer to round up my tools for the job.

1) Locate a spot. I chose this spot on the port side opposite the gas fill (see pics 3 & 4). It is a flat spot that's easy to get to both inside and out. It's also right above the trim pump.

2) Drill the hole for the wires, then fish the wires trough the hole and mark the screw/bolt holes. Now you can drill the bolt holes.

3) Mount the switch. The switch comes with crappy black aluminum screws. I got stainless steel bolts (also had SS screws in case I wasn't able to bolt it on). I put locktite on the bolts and sealed the penetrations with silicone.

4) Locate and connect wiring. With the location I chose the pump and wires were directly under the switch. The switch comes with 18" leads and I was able to connect them to the wires coming from the pump. It took just a bit to figure out which wire was what. I simply cut them and touched them together, you have a hot wire, an up wire and a down wire.

The first picture is to show the tools I used. Not too involved and I did the whole thing in about 40 minutes, including rounding up the tools.

Next project will be an LED bow light, but I'm still waiting on that part to come in.

P.S. the drill is the admirals, or at least that's what I told her. Funny, I never noticed until now that it still has her maiden name on it.

Last edited by PipefitterDan on Sun May 27, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

Nice post. This is a project I plan to tackle someday, but it is currently somewhat down on my list.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 am 
Seahorse

Great post. Do you have any pic's of the electrical hook up, just to get a better idea of where that is.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:05 am 
Guppy

I don't, I zip tied all the wires back down and it's now hard to see them. It's really simple though. On the pump there is a bundle of wires, mine were taped together. There are two big wires, those are the power to he pump. There are three smaller wires, those are the controls. All you gotta do is find your trim pump.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:06 am 
email admin your custom rank

Awesome!

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:30 pm 
Sting Ray

Nice job!, here is another thread for some of the other trim switch installs, there are a thousand ways to skin a cat.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=629&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=135

2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4
2010 Tahoe LT 4x4