www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
Shark

So I am getting ready to install a garmin 431s in my 2008 h220. My question is do I wire it to the battery, or the fuse block. The manual says either way is fine. Just wondering which way would be easier. If I go the fuse block route where would that be? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I just wired mine a couple weeks ago. My Vista had an empty spot in the fuse block for a GPS. Just removed the inline fuse on the power wire, as the directions said, and hooked it up to that. Had to buy a 3 amp fuse to go in the block for it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:26 pm 

I installed mine to the fuse block. Nice and simple, took longer to screw in the 3 screws.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 pm 
Shark

Ok great. So after reading the manual I saw there is a separate fuse block under helm. Is that the one u guys hooked up to?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 pm 

brijr77 wrote:
Ok great. So after reading the manual I saw there is a separate fuse block under helm. Is that the one u guys hooked up to?

Yup. Just pick an empty slot and slide in the right size fuse required. The terminals on top are ground, the terminals next to a fuse spot are power. Standard size female blade terminal on the wires.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:39 pm 
Shark

ric wrote:
brijr77 wrote:

Yup. Just pick an empty slot and slide in the right size fuse required. The terminals on top are ground, the terminals next to a fuse spot are power. Standard size female blade terminal on the wires.

Thanks ric. You the man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:47 pm 

brijr77 wrote:
ric wrote:
brijr77 wrote:

Thanks ric. You the man

NP. When I wired mine in after 1 day I instantly realized it would be so much better to have a switch on the panel. You can set the GPS into "switch" mode where it turns on automatically with power. If your boat takes contura switches:

Switch:
http://www.pacergroup.net/ItemForm.aspx ... b260f5343e

Cover. I ordered all new covers for my switches in that curved modern style with the correct labels. Don't forget to buy the little removal tool. They have one called chartplotter
http://www.pacergroup.net/Categories3.a ... _Actuators

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 pm 
Shark

So gps install went smooth. Borrowed this mount location which someone posted on here. Still need to find a better place for wire but I could not bring myself to drill.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 pm 

I installed a 6 curcuit sub-panel under the dash. I wired it from the main feed to the fuse box. Its great for all the add ons, GPS, fishfinder, VHF and more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:34 pm 

brijr77 wrote:
So gps install went smooth. Borrowed this mount location which someone posted on here. Still need to find a better place for wire but I could not bring myself to drill.

I would mount it on the starboard side & ran the wires (drill a hole) between the helm and the gunel (did I spell it right). That way too, you would be closer to the fuse box.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:49 pm 
Shark

I had room in the fuse block under helm I just could not get myself to drill a hole in top of dash.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:26 am 

brijr77 wrote:
I had room in the fuse block under helm I just could not get myself to drill a hole in top of dash.

I understand, thats way I mentioned the side. You could use something like this to give it a "finished" look.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=437207 OR http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 3&id=46663

I see your from Boston, but from your pic, you must be boating in VT or NH? You don't see too many bowriders in the harbor too!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:22 am 

[/quote]Yup. Just pick an empty slot and slide in the right size fuse required. The terminals on top are ground, the terminals next to a fuse spot are power. Standard size female blade terminal on the wires.[/quote]

Thanks ric. You the man[/quote]

NP. When I wired mine in after 1 day I instantly realized it would be so much better to have a switch on the panel. You can set the GPS into "switch" mode where it turns on automatically with power. If your boat takes contura switches:

Switch:

Cover. I ordered all new covers for my switches in that curved modern style with the correct labels. Don't forget to buy the little removal tool. They have one called chartplotter
http://www.pacergroup.net/Categories3.a ... _Actuators[/quote]

If it helps, I am not sure this applays. But I have the Garmin 740 & 541, both can be set so when the batteries are turned. The unit will remain OFF or turn them selfs on. So no extra switch is really needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:48 am 
Shark

Paul I. wrote:
brijr77 wrote:

I understand, thats way I mentioned the side. You could use something like this to give it a "finished" look.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=437207 OR http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 3&id=46663

I see your from Boston, but from your pic, you must be boating in VT or NH? You don't see too many bowriders in the harbor too!

Hey Paul thanks for those links I might try and do something like that to give it a more stock look. That is the only place to really mount it as I am using the windshield bracket with the ram mounts.
Those pics are from lake winnipausaukee over this past weekend. Only freshwater for me now. My previous boat was a 268 vista that I used in the harbor but wife didn't like not seeing land. So back to all the fresh water lakes around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:54 am 
Shark

Paul I. wrote:
Yup. Just pick an empty slot and slide in the right size fuse required. The terminals on top are ground, the terminals next to a fuse spot are power. Standard size female blade terminal on the wires.[/quote]

Thanks ric. You the man[/quote]

Switch:

Cover. I ordered all new covers for my switches in that curved modern style with the correct
labels. Don't forget to buy the little removal tool. They have one called chartplotter
http://www.pacergroup.net/Categories3.a ... _Actuators[/quote]

If it helps, I am not sure this applays. But I have the Garmin 740 & 541, both can be set so when the batteries are turned. The unit will remain OFF or turn them selfs on. So no extra switch is really needed.[/quote]

You are correct. I set this on mine too. Every time I turn the ignition on the gps automatically turns on. Absolutely best money I spent on boat so far. The 431s has all the fresh water lakes already installed. Even on winni I had a chart with me but the 431s was spot on with all the markings for hazards and marinas. It also because it's a chart plotter was spot on with depth readings. As accurate as it is I still will always make sure to have chart with me.