www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:24 pm 
Goldfish

Here is my deal. Have a 2001 Horizon 190 w/sunsport package.

I want to install a HUGE stereo system in her :shock: So I want to put (4 )10" subs behind the rear seat and (2) 12" subs in the front bow section. I want to install the 12" subs below the bow seats, but I'm not sure if I should cut out the fiberglass there. I can take a pic and show ya if it would help.

O..and btw....this site rocks 8)

Post subject: here's the pic
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:55 pm 
Goldfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:58 pm 
Sting Ray

I have several random thoughts to assist you in deciding for yourself whether or not you should attempt this ......

1. You would need to be sure about the integrity of the structure, and whether or not you are violationg any 'air pocket' that might be considered flotation.

2. Also it is hard to believe, but it is conceiveable that you could have gel coat cracking from increased flexing of the liner. I am sure that the liner is also part of the hull support structure.

3. Do you know that if you cut into the liner at these points, whether or not there is sufficient clearance behind the liner to mount the speakers. Would be sad to make the cuts and find a stringer behind them that would prevent the flush mounting of the speakers.

4. Are you also able to actually get wiring to the mounting locations?

5. You would have to properly treat the edges of the cutouts, such as applying epoxy to protect the exposed edges.

6. I doubt this is an issue, but you would also have to make sure that the area is not considered part of the bilge or engine compartment. This can be the case if there is an open path from the area behind the liner all the way to the engine compartment. If there is, then this area may be considered part of the engine room according to Coast Guard regulations, which would maybe require all electrical components to be ignition protected.

Some of these thoughts are pretty far out, I'll admit, but you can only cut those holes once, so it makes sense to thouroughly research the issue prior to cutting.

"Think Twice - cut once" is what I always say....

I might even ask Four Winns if they have an opinion - their tech support is quite good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:16 pm 
Goldfish

:shock:

Never thought of all that Vista. But I am glad you sed all you did. I will re-think this whole cutting thing :D

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:47 pm 
Shark

Aquaholic wrote:
Here is my deal. Have a 2001 Horizon 190 w/sunsport package.

I want to install a HUGE stereo system in her :shock: So I want to put (4 )10" subs behind the rear seat and (2) 12" subs in the front bow section. I want to install the 12" subs below the bow seats, but I'm not sure if I should cut out the fiberglass there. I can take a pic and show ya if it would help.

O..and btw....this site rocks 8)

yep, there's nothing like a quiet peaceful day on the water, away from the noises and stress of everyday life.. :wink: :wink:

Could you not mount the subs under the seats, ie, inside the hull...?