www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:47 pm 
email admin your custom rank

LETS TALK MAGMA GRILLS!!!

OK now that I have your attention. I have been planning to buy a grill for this coming summer.. and i have decided on a Magma INFERRED grill. Well i talked with a sales man and he told me how the inferred inserts will fit XYZ model and then now that i have searched and found a couple amazing deals i decided that it is easier to get the Gormet series so i have the double walls and inner liner as those are well worth the small added cost compared to the lower model and spending $125 on the replacement parts to convert it into inferred.

SO my debate is between the NEWPORT 9x18 and the CATALINA 12x18(additional warming rack) and I am looking at a $23 difference.

i feel that the Monterey 12x25 is a bit too large for storage and normal use. it is $50 more than the Catalina. and once i add the $100 pedestal mount for the swim platform will have pushed me out of the zone I originally said was the limit.

IS the warming rack worth the added 3" of lid height from a storage and physical handling and bulk standpoint?

OPINIONS Lets talk Grills.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

Last edited by Jdpber on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:47 pm 

We have had the Newport 9 x 18 infra red for 4 years and are happy with it overall. We have noticed the following issues.

1. Like many others, we have noticed that the Magma grills are prone to blow out in windy conditions. One day I rolled up some aluminum foil into 2 rolls and put them on the drip tray under the grill, one across the front side and one across the rear side. It still gets plenty of air and doesn't blow out. I've thought about making a sheet metal shield or baffle, but have not done that yet.

2. As with any grill, some parts like the igniter may rust and not work after a while.

3. Its stainless steel and it will get dirty. A good dose of Easy Off oven cleaner usually works.

4. The grill can heat up hotter than you want after a while. On occasion you may need to dial the temp all the way down and maybe even have the lid open.

5. We have not found a rack to be needed, especially if that means the grill needs to be larger. We do at times stack more temp sensitive food items on top of otherfood inside the grill.

6. Like any other gas grill, the burner tube can rust and reduce the size of the holes in the tube. This reduces gas flow and heat output. You can usually correct this by cleaning with a fine wire brush.

7. We mount ours on a Magma pedestal on the swim platform. The pedestal mount does add about 3 inches to the bottom of the grill.

8. Leaving it out in the rain may cause grease to be flushed out onto the swim platform or surface around the pedestal.

9. Overall it has worked well. When you are done cooking, turn off the gas and leave the lid open. When youare done eating the grill should be cool enough to put away.

Hope this helps. Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:52 pm 

I've got a Magma Newport and have had no issues. I've had it for 4-5 years and keep it stored in a duffle bag when not in use. Both on my 268 and now the 318 I mount it on the rear grab railing above the stern storage. It doesn't get the seat hot, but we take it down while we are underway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:24 am 

I love my Newport!

Yes I have had a day when the wind was too much for it, and a little trouble keeping the heat uniform (it gets hotter on the end closest to the propane tank) But it is so worth it to grill at the lake. Food just tastes better at the lake. I love the mount I have because no matter how level the boat is (when beached) I can level the grill and the brats don't roll in the lake.

And my first one...

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:55 am 
Shark

I have owned a Newport infrared model for well over 5 years. I am happy with the size and have had no real need for a warming rack. I did have the blowout issue in breezy conditions. I called magma customer service and they sent me updated grill grates and a redesigned drip tray with baffle. No real issues with blowouts since. Overall good size and well made grill. Mine is about 8 years old and looks like new.

2008 V338
Twin Volvo Penta 320hp DP

2002 268 Vista
1987 225 Sundowner
1986 170 Horizon
1975 Steury V415SS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:23 am 

these are the types of real world statements that i am after.

LVChris - My decision to go Inferred will eliminate this issue.
SpecialK - the new drip tray design is one reason i am going to buy new, also the decent used ones rarely come up in my area with a justifiable savings to steer from new.

So excited for this summer and to grill. Already have the 18" accessory front tray with cutting board that i snagged a few months ago for $20.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:55 am 

SpecialK - so if I call MAGMA they may send me replacement parts to fix the blowout issue?

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:40 pm 
Shark

I called the customer service number and explained the issue and frustration of the blowouts and they were very accommodating. They had me send back the old grates which I was more than happy to do.
As a side note, I spoke with a magma product rep at the Defender warehouse sale last spring and he indicated the issue develops as the grill ages from time and usage. It is a known issue.

I also have the front mounted tray which is very useful as my grill is mounted on the swim platform rail system.

2008 V338
Twin Volvo Penta 320hp DP

2002 268 Vista
1987 225 Sundowner
1986 170 Horizon
1975 Steury V415SS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:00 pm 

Haven't really had a blow out issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:03 pm 

I am doing the same mounting setup as RIC but with a different model

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:25 pm 

This thread couldn't be better timed. My wife and I intend on purchasing a Magma grill at the Toronto boat show tomorrow.

What is different about the grill in Ric's photo and what you are getting?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:37 pm 

alex8q4 wrote:
This thread couldn't be better timed. My wife and I intend on purchasing a Magma grill at the Toronto boat show tomorrow.

What is different about the grill in Ric's photo and what you are getting?

His is a CABO is an Adventure series which is between the round kettle and the Gormet series that I am going with. For starters the handle on the CABO is plastic. And the body is single layer.

The Gormet series includes: Newport 9x18, Catalina 12x18, Monterey 12x25 all three have an old and a new lid option. The new lid option has a glass viewing window (personally I hate these because they can be broken and they cloud after use if not cleaned every use). Second and most importantly the Gormet series is a double walled design that contains the heat better. Full width Stainless handle not plastic, lift out liner, and most importantly the Gormet series is offered with Inferred heating grates. This is a key element for me for the even heat on the grill. Where the non inferred will have hot spots.

The Newport is the smallest and shortest height.
The Catalina has a raised warming rack and is 3" deeper grill area
The Monterery is 12x25 and is freaking massive! Too big for what I want.

Also the Gormet series has push start

See above LVChris Is a Newpoert with the BEEF kaboba

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 am 

Thank you, I looked at them quickly and got confused between all the models.

This morning I told my wife we have to get the Magam Newport grill. She said to me "yep and it has to have the tray on the front". Turns out she was miles ahead of me on this one.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:25 am 

Anyone ever try Kuuma grills? I understand they may not be ideal for a salt environment, but wondering about fresh water climates. They seem to run quite a bit cheaper than Magma.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:48 am 

alex8q4 wrote:
Thank you, I looked at them quickly and got confused between all the models.

This morning I told my wife we have to get the Magam Newport grill. She said to me "yep and it has to have the tray on the front". Turns out she was miles ahead of me on this one.

Cheers

pay the extra for Inferred you will thank me later.

Vintage Beauty wrote:
Anyone ever try Kuuma grills? I understand they may not be ideal for a salt environment, but wondering about fresh water climates. They seem to run quite a bit cheaper than Magma.

Yes, and i have extensively looked into them.. FOR starters they are made in CHINA and not AMREICA! so that is all you need to know. yes cheaper but you get thinner gauge lower quality stainless and a grill with less readily available mounting solutions. MAGMA has something like 40 mounting solutions. where as Kuuma has like 3.

moral of the story is to buy AMERICAN buy MAGMA

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD