www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Thanks for all the reply's so far. Still looking for recommendations on a tool kit. Do you guys keep one on board or just keep tools with your tv?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm 
wkearney99

I keep two toolboxes. One with everyday hand tools, the other with things work on the engine would need. That and I've found cheap philips-head screwdrivers are the best. That way WHEN you drop it overboard you won't feel 'as bad' about the loss. They usually head over the gunwales just as readily as the way sockets roll to the middle underneath a car! My everyday box is a smallish one, just large enough for the screwdrivers, some needlenose pliers, vise-grips and a couple of other similar tools. The sockets and wrenches needed for the engine include ones needed to replace impellers, tighten motor mounts and prop-shaft bolts, pull the plugs and change the oil. Should the engine ingest water I'd want to be able to get those plugs out, fast, to drain the cylinders. Then be able to do the oil as soon as I got back to the marina.

Oh, and both a decent knife and a hacksaw. The knife for a line wrapped on the prop, the rode on a stuck anchor or a line wrapped around a part of someone. The hacksaw to deal with a metal leader that might have gotten pulled up from a fishing pot and wrapped on the prop. The make a small handle that fits a regular hacksaw blade, it's good enough for this purpose and doesn't take much room.

But if you start with a basic set of hand tools and those needed for the impeller you'd be ready for most trivial things that would otherwise interrupt your time on the water.

Oh, and spare impellers, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:04 pm 
Villiage Idiot

In addition, I recommend a spare anchor, in case you need to dispose of a body quickly. :shock:

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 am 

Good point, Walt. Something we should all consider.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 pm 

Good one! :mrgreen: Thanks for keeping it real Walt! Never want to get to serious about boating, the whole point is to go out there, have some fun and forget about reality and your next boat payment for a while, right.

wkearney99 - I was thinking about getting one of those molded plastic tool kits, but it may make more sense to put a kit together on my own, of all the tools I'd actually use. I just like the idea of the molded plastic kits (if you know what I mean) so stuff isn't banging, rolling, arround, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:38 pm 
wkearney99

impulse wrote:
wkearney99 - I was thinking about getting one of those molded plastic tool kits, but it may make more sense to put a kit together on my own, of all the tools I'd actually use. I just like the idea of the molded plastic kits (if you know what I mean) so stuff isn't banging, rolling, arround, etc.

The problems with the molded kits are several. One being the extra plastic for the case takes up space. That and all those nooks for the tools provide more places for moisture to collect and rust the tools. This is also true to barbeque tools.

Better to get as small as practical toolbox and cram it full, that'll eliminate anything rolling around inside of it! That's how mine ended up. Not by design, but as a result of accumulating just one more tool...

I've also had good success keeping this from rusting up by saving the silica gel packets ("do not eat") and putting them and tools inside ziploc baggies. I prefer the actual 'ziploc' brand in their freezer style. The regular ones are too thin and those 'zipper handles' break way too easily. Better to get the double-seal freezer bags, those last for quite a while. Also note they make those bags in larger sizes. The XXL ones are great for stowing gear over the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:08 pm 

I found a small molded kit that squeezes right into a slot under the rear seat next to the battery. Nothing slides around and since it is stored vertically, it hardly takes up any space.

I've only had it a year, so I haven't had any rust yet, but it was $15. If it lasts a few years it'll be one of boatings cheaper expenses.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:19 pm 

I took everyones recommendations and started a small kit of misc tools. Nothing fancy, but just got a small kitbox, set of cheap tools from Lowes, a couple of nail aprons and cut the strings off and wrapped the tools in them and set them in the box. I like this idea better then the moulded plastic kits. I have pleanty of room to add things as necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:54 pm 
230 Mike

I use a tool roll inside my boat tool bag. You can get real nice ones from Woodcraft (here) and Duluth Trading (here). You can get a lot of tools into a small, well-organized space this way, and leave enough other room in the tool bag for a spare plug, spare bulbs, dielectric grease, continuity tester, an impeller kit, nitrile gloves, etc.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:18 pm 

So I got most everything on this list plus a few other items, then I ran it past a buddy of mine and this is what he sent back to me:

You'll also need a bag of basic life vests. This will cover you when you have guests on board. You have to have a vest for each person. It's the skippers responsibility, by law. They usually sell them with 4 or 6 per bag. Make sure you have enough to cover a boat-load full……arh, arh….
By the way, those square seat cushion/life preserver things are required by law. They are "throwable" life preservers.
Make sure you have two of the window pocket suction thingies….his and hers basically. Otherwise you'll have lipstick and other sh*t in your drivers-side pockets. ; )
Get a water-resistant map bag….I keep all of my maps in this, my insurance and boat registration (required by law) in this in the glove box.
Suction cup orange water-skier flag….(required at some lakes - like TRL)
Spare box of various fuses for your boat and truck
Two Optima Blue Top batteries, I think the model number is dm31 if I remember correctly.……does your boat have a dual battery setup?
Lock for trailer and lock for your draw bar if you don't already have one….
Spare bulbs for lights (trailer and boat)
Couple of Tupperware type boxes with semi-lockable tops to get things like paper towels/toilet paper in….to keep them dry….
Spare tire and rim if the boat/trailer didn't come with one...
Make sure you have a lug wrench that fits the lugs on your trailer - if not (mine didn't), I found a little set at Bass Pro that I keep behind my seat in the truck.
Build yourself a drive-up-on ramp for changing flats on your trailer - used mine for the first time last summer, worked GREAT!!!! It's basically just 4-5 staggered 2x10s nailed together.
Lantern, flashlight and a spotlight that plugs into your cig lighter plug
Flare gun if it didn’t come with your first aid kit
At least one oar in case your engine dies out there
Red support thingies for your lower drive unit for traveling - to protect against a hydraulic failure/leak - you'll have to cut them for your specific drive unit
Spare prop - they ain't cheap, but good to have - it can seriously ruin a planned-out weekend - happened to us at Lake Ouachita, AR
Prop wrench for your drive unit - keep in boat tool box
Chalks of some sort for trailer
Large beach towels for the ladies to layout on……<devilish grin> ; ) At least 4 of them……<devilish grin> ; ) I always try and wipe the boat down with these at the end of the night as well. Depending on how drunk I am….LOL!
Bottle of vinegar for removing water spots on the gel coat
I'm sure you already have a set of FRS radios - comes in handy when your talking the "old girl" through backing down the trailer at 2am and drunk….. ; )
Boat name sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naked feet only stickers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no shoes stickers) - you'll be amazed at how many people will want to walk right off of a dock or beach with their frickin shoes on……unbelievable
Vinyl cleaner (for seats and trim in boat)
Wet buns…. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... id=PP_P2_1
Ski rope and skis if you like
Intertube if you like
Add skeeter repellant, sun-block, and other stuff like this to your first aid kit. added gauze, Neosporin, rubbing alcohol and stuff like this

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just kidding. I knew there would be more, but damn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:16 pm 
230 Mike

Yeah there's a lot of overkill there. I assumed you had the legal & critical stuff like PFD's & stuff to change a flat covered. You only have to have one Type IV (throwable). I did buy one of those cheap "bag o' vests" things with 4 square orange PFD's but we've never taken it along - just something to have on hand if we know someone's meeting us who doesn't own their own PFD. Even if one of the kids is taking a friend, we talk to their parents ahead of time about getting them a comfortable PFD.

The orange flag is required anytime you have people in the water on Missouri lakes (not just TR).

I board the boat all the time with my shoes on. :roll:

Here's one more thing most people don't think of: a spare pin for your swing-away tongue. They've been known to be stolen, either for the sheer unbridled joy of vandalism, or because something happened to theirs so they just thought they'd help themselves to yours. Lots of places sell them, I got mine at Tractor Supply Co. for $8 or so. I keep it in the truck, in the bag that holds my drawbar, ball grease, and gloves (both mechanic's and nitrile).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:35 am 
Sting Ray

Excellent idea about a spare pin for the trailer tongue! Tractor supply is one of my favorite stores. :D

Here's a new boat owner question- do you guys recommend standard automotive touch-up paint for scratches on your trailers? I have several chips I need to fix.

Canyon Lake, TX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:43 pm 
230 Mike

Your dealer can get factory touch-up trailer paint from FW. I think it only comes in a spray can, but you can always spray a puddle of it onto a piece of newspaper, and use a fine artist's brush to lay it into the chip/scratch/whatever. It's good quality automotive paint.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:44 pm 

Thanks Mike. I would not have thought of that one until it was too late. I was going to say I can't believe someone would do that but....................I guess I know better.