www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hey everyone! I installed a/c and reverse heat on my 97 Vista 278 this past spring, never had a/c in a boat before, except for the carry-on-over-the-hatch ones.

Its that time of year and Im winterizing the boat for the cold Michigan winter. Wondering what are the steps in winterizing an A/C system?

Thanks!

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:13 am 

If you have one ac unit this is the way I have done it. Its a 2 second job.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o09NH21mn-s
I clean the sea strainer first then use a $10 drill pump and a cordless drill. Stick the input into a gallon of AF run the drill pump until its empty which is usually more than enough and I see pink coming out the AC through hull inlet.

Now that I have 2 AC units i can't do it this way because there are 2 outlets so I connect the inlet of the AC pump, right where its connected to the seacock and connect it to a winterizing kit(tank of AF with a hose). Then I turn on one AC and make sure pink comes out both outlets. Not as easy but still pretty simple.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 am 

Technologic80 wrote:
Hey everyone! I installed a/c and reverse heat on my 97 Vista 278 this past spring, never had a/c in a boat before, except for the carry-on-over-the-hatch ones.

Its that time of year and Im winterizing the boat for the cold Michigan winter. Wondering what are the steps in winterizing an A/C system?

Thanks!

When my boat is on the trailer I take a collapsible toilet plunger and push the water back through the system purging out the existing water. I then put antifreeze back in via a hose and funnel and I'm usually good to go. Simple process really. I use the same plunger to prime my ac system when I lower it after it's been on my lift.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:53 pm 

Today I went, disconnected the raw water pump to the a/c, and with my air compressor, blew air through the hose. Water came out the side thru-hull (exit) of the a/c and I did this several times until no more water came out, and it was just 100% compressed air.

I then drained the sea strainer, and blew compressed air through the raw water pump (little/no water came out).

Lastly, I took a funnel and some hose, and placed -50f anti-freeze in the A/C drip tray until it ran pink into my shower sump, which is where the A/C condensation line goes to.

But more importantly, do I have to run anti-freeze BACK through the A/C? If so, I will go buy a drill pump tomorrow. Thanks!!

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:52 am 
Livin' the Dream

For the ac, I pull The hose off the strainer that goes to the pump, put a funnel in the hose and fill slowly while someone turns the ac on and it pumps it out the side.....

I tried To put the funnel on the through hull and back feed it, I didnt feel it was going as good a sign I would Like, most ran on the outside of the boat :roll: probably the operator (me)

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:22 pm 

Technologic80 wrote:
Today I went, disconnected the raw water pump to the a/c, and with my air compressor, blew air through the hose. Water came out the side thru-hull (exit) of the a/c and I did this several times until no more water came out, and it was just 100% compressed air.

I then drained the sea strainer, and blew compressed air through the raw water pump (little/no water came out).

Lastly, I took a funnel and some hose, and placed -50f anti-freeze in the A/C drip tray until it ran pink into my shower sump, which is where the A/C condensation line goes to.

But more importantly, do I have to run anti-freeze BACK through the A/C? If so, I will go buy a drill pump tomorrow. Thanks!!

Guess I have been lucky. All I normally do is blow air through mine and it's not all that difficult to get all the water out by doing that. I do fill it with antifreeze just to be on the safe side and I've never had an issue. Chris268 I have a hose that I've fashioned that will fit tightly into the output of the AC and yes some can spill but I can pretty quickly pour in antifreeze until it runs out the bottom of the strainer. Like I've said maybe I've just been lucky. I've never thought about running anything through the condensate.

If you've had air coming out I would think you're OK.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:42 am 

It's really quite easy to run the AF through. It doesn't take much. I don't think I even get through a gallon of AF when it comes out. I guess it depends on how long the run is. I don't blow the air out just run the AF through and I don't need to bother pulling any hoses. I hate doing that. I always get cut up from the clamps. :( I just clean the sea strainer, which should be done anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 pm 

I use my "seaflush" for both my A/C and Generator raw water winterizing. Works like a charm! Have had it for 6 seasons of winterizing. No issues!

http://www.seaflush.com/

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:47 pm 

Save your money - I went to Harbor Freight and bought their $6.99 hand pump. The outlet on the hand pump is the same size as my A/C line. Put an end in a jug of -75f antifreeze with anti-corrosive inhibitors, pumped a gallon through by hand easily. All is well. Thanks for all your help, I feel like winterizing this thing will be a breeze next year!

379 hours as of 8/8/21