www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gel coat issue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:55 am 
email admin your custom rank

jsimon wrote:
Website has a list of colors, pick your your make, pick your year, pick you color. 03 navy, has to be one of FW most popular colors. Its not listed. Website says if you dont see what you looking for please call. So I call, tell her make, year and color, she goes out on the website and says, nope we dont have it. :x

Like no shit, I just told YOU that!! Any where else anybody knows of for gel colors and supplies?

FWIW, I have an '03 with "navy".

I have used the spectrum patch paste gel coat repair. Works real good. The official color name and number for Spectrum is Four Winns Midnight Blue 95-04 F553741K B#0257

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:00 pm 

When I called the other place, and he looked it up, he too called it midnight blue. I just went back out on Spectrums website and sure enough it is listed 95 - 2004. So I stand corrected, they do have it. :oops:

I still stand on the customer service, she could have found it or pointed it out. Took the other guy about a minute to determine that.

Thanks Capt for pointing out the error of my ways....

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:04 pm 

jsimon wrote:
I still stand on the customer service, she could have found it or pointed it out. Took the other guy about a minute to determine that.

Thanks Capt for pointing out the error of my ways....

I had a similar crappy service experience with a woman I spoke with a spectrum. Any question I asked was like pulling teeth....
Hence why I went to the garage and got the number for you so you can tell her exactly what she would need to look for.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:56 pm 

Any updates on this Jeff?

I have a scratch on my boat I might repair myself, the local gel guy wants to spray that entire side....

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:59 am 

firecadet613 wrote:
Any updates on this Jeff?

I have a scratch on my boat I might repair myself, the local gel guy wants to spray that entire side....

Well here is what I know, I have had 2 people look at it, and they both said the same thing. The blue gel coat is awfully thin, and any repair might go thru it on the outer edges of the repair.

One of the 2 guys all he does is fiberglass repair on watercraft, his recommendation was to blend in the are with paint. He told me the "blend line" with paint is much less noticable than the blend line with gel. I was and still am skeptical, I asked him 10 different ways about the sheen or surface difference between the 2 materials if that would make it stand out, he assured me it wouldnt.

So anyway, I bought the materials before I took the boat out of storage. When I looked at it again, the same thoughts came back about how I dont want to experiment on the side of the hull and make it worse. Right now, the average person wouldnt notice the area, but it wouldnt take any of you guys long to spot it, and I know its there and it shouldnt be, so it bugs me. They wanted $850.00 to blend with paint. The admiral doesnt want to do it. So not sure at this point, I maight try to come up with a addtion to the boot stripe to go over the area.

One last thing, the first guy that looked at it, fixed my bathtub. I just installed a brand new fiberglass tub shower sorround and the drywallers dropped something on it and took a chip out of it. He came in and fixed the area, and you cant even find the spot. So I asked him to look at it. He told me on scracthes alot of times you can buff (with a wheel) with the edge of the wheel the same direction as the scratch and actually buff it to a shine. The scratch is still there but it blends in becuase it doesnt have the whitish back gorund to it. So Fire, I would try that before anything else. if its not to deep, maybe you can get it to something you can live with.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)