www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gel coat issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

As stated in another thread, brushes scratch gel coat.

I can attest to the scratches with the brush. I have been using on of those real soft brushes on a pole for cars.... Not sure ehat happened but next thing I know, I have this very noticable scratch.... I think it was when one of the kids was using the brush (shame on me). Any way I tried to get it out, I was sure it wasnt that deep, using 1000 wet/dry. Wrong agian, almost went thru the blue, just started seeing it lighten up and I stopped.... :oops: Now what???

Has anybody had any experience with blending the gelcoat or am I doomed to have the whole side done?

Kinda forgot about this all winter (happend right before I put it away) and I just looked a pic of it and got sick again. Now its not that bad, and my wife said to forget about it... but I cant do it... bugs the hell out of me. Thoughts??

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

Post subject: Re: Gel coat issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm 

I've done some gel coat work on ours .... white, of course.

The FW dealer can sell you a small batch of the matching original gel coat (and the hardener and thinner/curing product). You can either spray the compound on using a small airbrush (with a large bore tip) or with one of those Preval disposable sprayers.

I have found that the spray from the Preval unit is rather course.

Clean & prep the area with acetone prior to sprying

After spraying, , let it cure 'till tacky. Then, cover with plastic wrap, so that it is air tight .... no oxygen gets to the curing gel coat. Once the gel is fully hardened (cured), go at it with the fine emery paper and then the polishing compounds.

After some time in the sun, the colors will start to match better and better.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:29 pm 

http://www.spectrumcolor.com You can look up which kit you need and order online. It matches the factory gelcoat.

They sell matching "Patch Paste Kits." I've used them on my Sea Doo and my Sea Ray. My Sea Doo was yellow, but it matched up pretty well. Following the directions its a breeze. I would definatly attempt it myself before I paid someone big $$$ to repair it. It most likely won't cost them any more to fix it after you've tried to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:21 pm 

firecadet613 wrote:
http://www.spectrumcolor.com You can look up which kit you need and order online. It matches the factory gelcoat.

They sell matching "Patch Paste Kits." I've used them on my Sea Doo and my Sea Ray. My Sea Doo was yellow, but it matched up pretty well. Following the directions its a breeze. I would definatly attempt it myself before I paid someone big $$$ to repair it. It most likely won't cost them any more to fix it after you've tried to.

This looks like something I need. I have a few nicks I would like fixed just bercause I am super anal. They are hard to see, but I know they are there.
Anyone remember what the color of my boat is called? Searched all over the net and came up empty.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:17 pm 
268 Vista

07H200SS wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:

Anyone remember what the color of my boat is called? Searched all over the net and came up empty.

:roll: Searched all over the net and Fire provided the link you need right in this thread. Unbelievable....... How many colors of red do you think FW had in 2007?
It's called Red VAL on spectrum's site. Now see if you can find it. I did in about 5 seconds.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:22 pm 

firecadet613 wrote:

Wow, their customer NO service sucks!! Website has a list of colors, pick your your make, pick your year, pick you color. 03 navy, has to be one of FW most popular colors. Its not listed. Website says if you dont see what you looking for please call. So I call, tell her make, year and color, she goes out on the website and says, nope we dont have it. :x

Like no shit, I just told YOU that!! Any where else anybody knows of for gel colors and supplies?

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:32 pm 
268 Vista

Most people I know that have repaired there FW gelcoat, have just bought it from our local dealer. Have you tried that ?

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 pm 

I really would suggest that you have the FW dealer pour you some (or order some in if they don't have the color on hand). They will have it just right for each year, as the colors can change a bit for each year. Our dealer just poured me a few ounces of each of the ingedients, from their stock.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:57 pm 

When I needed some green I called spectrums 800 #. They checked around, and they had a few of the patch kits left over....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 pm 

I called my Four Winns dealer and they cant get the gel coat for and 03 either. they claim that FW has changed their formula and the new is not compatiable with the older stuff. they recommended I call
spectum(sp) I told them they were not helpful at all. They then suggested Marine max in Florida. I called them and Paul was extremely healpful with the color and application. I ordered all the supplies form him and am looking forward to the repair.

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:23 pm 

Excellent!

Do a bunch of searching on gel coat repair and you'll find a load of tutorials and videos.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:28 am 

M3eater wrote:
Excellent!

Do a bunch of searching on gel coat repair and you'll find a load of tutorials and videos.

I have already done that. There is a bunch of conflicting steps and practices, so i didnt know which one is the way to do it. Like I said Paul at Marine Max, stepped me thru it, took the extra time on the phone... I even asked about one of the things I read (wiping styrene over the surface to "reactivate" the old gel before spraying the new) he told me dont do that, it will affect the color. I have the number at work for anybody that wants it, Ill post it later this morning when I get in. Ill also post the repair steps he gave for your guys input, dont want to mess this up.

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:15 am 

The company name is Mini Craft (not Marine Max) their number is 800 282 8244. He said they custom mix the gel to the original specs, I mentioned Spectrum to him and he said they dont make their own gel like they do. The guys name is Paul.

Here is his procedure.

Wipe the area down prior to sanding with acetone.

Prep the area of the repair with 180 grit sandpaper working in circular motions

Once the reapiar area is prepped, using 220 grit extend the sanded area 2" out form the 180 grit sand again using circular motions

Using 400 grit, extend the sanded area 2" out from the 220 grit sand again asing circular motions.

The idea here is the blending area will be the zone between the 180 and 220 grit sanding are.

Box spray the area (one pass with horizontal sweeps, and one pass with vertical sweeps) to apply 15 - 20 passes.

After cure time, start with 400 wet/dry, then 600, then 1000 then buff.

Side notes
Use a gravity feed gun
Use the very least amount of reducer as possible (he said to much reducer will give a halo look to the repair)
Use as low air pressure as possible (hence the gravity feed gun)
THe gel coat he is providing has a wax additive in it, no need for the plastic film that I have read about over the top to cure

Ive done some automotive paint work, but never any gel coat work. My only problem is the 180 grit sandpaper... seems awfully coarse. I asked him twice on it, and he assured me that is what I need to do.

Thoughts on any of it?

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:21 am 

Sounds good. Thanks for posting the info. How much did it run compared to spectrum colors prices?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:33 am 

Gel 109.95 qt
Hardner 5.95
Reducer 47.95 qt

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300