www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:53 am 
email admin your custom rank

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
jsimon wrote:

Forgot about the trailer.... Going to replace all the tires including the spare.

Why don't you just rotate the spare onto the trailer and replace your worst tire with a new one so you have a brand new spare.... $200 and your done. The tires last for many years as long as they are properly inflated.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

Here is just one place that I have read about trailer tire life. I just feel like 5 years of solid summer time use, sitting 5 seasons in storage in one spot, sitting in the driveway with the sun on them, dunking them in water after running down the road at highway speeds in a pretty good good service life. Having had a flat once before on the other boat on a holiday weekend at night (talk about taking your life in you hands, getting out of you car on the side of US 27), its just not worth it to me.

Not to mention if one tire goes and puts all the load on the other tire, I dont even want to know what would happend if the other tire blew before I could get it under control. Cheap insurance IMO.

It is alot of boat to end up off the trailer on the highway.... :shock:

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:25 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

Is it me or does that boat look a bit big for a tandem axel trailer? It just looks overloaded IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

powellcrazy wrote:

Well, we had them on the 245 and loved them. Yes, they do prevent you from cleaning in that area.

Anyway, when we are retrieving in a wind or in a current, it would sure make the whole thing go smoother and quicker. Additionally, if the boat is not perfectly centered on the bunks, the lower chine will potentially rub on the anti-slip on the top of the fender. When the boat is perfectly centered, there is only about 1/2" to 3/4" clearance under each chine.

As for the technical oversize ...... I won't tell if you don't ...... :wink:

If you do this, you will need to build heavy duty ones, the ones on our 248 trailer are very similar to what both you and I are use to with the 245 sundowner which is way too light and just fold over when boat hits them, I want to just cut ours off!!! Just about worthless IMHO.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input/feedback I was thinking along those lines, as well. I've been contemplating the design in just that respect.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner