www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom Isinglass
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 am 
email admin your custom rank

I am contemplating having a custom piece of isinglass made for my boat. My thinking is I would like a piece that would attach between the windshield and top of the bimini. I think this would be great to have when the weather turns sour (as has happened to all of us) unexpectedly, to provide a little more shelter and allow me to see enough to keep moving the boat forward. When the unexpected downpour comes out of nowhere it is next to impossible to drive the boat at any speed. I'm wondering what everyones thoughts are for a boat such as mine. I know most of you cruisers have this as standard equip, but I would have to have something custom made. I believe my bimini has zippers on the front and rear and I already have snaps for my snap on covers along the windshield. Has anyone done this for a bowrider? Am I silly for contemplating this idea? Will it be super expensive to have one custom piece made? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

David

Post subject: Re: Custom Isinglass
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 am 
All Night Long

It's typically called a 'windshield connector'.

If you boat in adverse conditions - or even on chilly days - it's awesome to have.

You chould be able to have a couple of panels made up for 100-200 per panel. I would think you have at least 3 panels (left, center, right).

Any decent canvas shop can whip these up easily.

Look for strataglass - which is better visibility for a winshield peice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:29 pm 

Any other with thoughts on this? Anyone with a bowrider have a piece of Isinglass custom made or for those of you with the tall windshield do you have the Fourwinns one?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:07 pm 

I don't currently have one but will likely order one soon. Cincy Aquaholic gave me his old one but it is about 2-3 inches too short. I agree it will keep you warmer on chilly days. I think the best use will be for those pop up showers and you still need to motor on. It will keep you dry and as you know rain can hurt at even 25-30mph let alone faster.

A couple of thoughts I would have If I were thinking about it for your boat. Unlike Cougar I would think about getting one piece with a center piece that rolls up over the walk through(as is standard) The disadvantage to this is storage. They have to be handled carefully and tend to take up a lot of space. With three pieces you cold spread them throughout the boat for storage.

I would also make sure that it wrapped around the the sides of the windshield a little bit as well. If not actually two extra separate pieces for the sides that are the length of the bimini.(This is the standard set up also.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:44 pm 

Yeah, I wondered about the storage aspect. I would think it's probably important when stored to keep them in some kind of sleeve for protection against scratches etc. I like the idea of having 3 pieces also. Makes sense on several fronts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:31 pm 

My neighbor at the marina has a 210SS with the fourwinns camper top (based on the bimini), and uses it for just this purpose (mind you he also has the full windshield, not the shorty).

Works well for him. He very rarely keeps it on though.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 pm 

chrisvs wrote:
My neighbor at the marina has a 210SS with the fourwinns camper top (based on the bimini), and uses it for just this purpose (mind you he also has the full windshield, not the shorty).

Yeah, I think this is one of those extras that I probably wouldn't use that much, but when things get rough I'd be greatful to have it. For example: About 15 min after this picture was taken we got rained on like no other. We could tell it was coming but we were miles and miles from "home". Put the bimini up which helped some but dang it was brutal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 pm 

Yup, it definately would help out there. That's why I like the convertible top. Not as much headroom as the bimini, but it shelters nicely when the weather turns on ya. Good for cool days too.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:43 am 
Nauti Luv

I have thought a little about this in the past as well. The thing for me is storing them for the 1-2 times a year that I would actually put them to use. I just cant see it working out for me in the long run. We have been on the lake and blasted by rain a couple times, and it certainly sucks. Still....storing them is a problem for me. Remember...I have a sub box on each side of my cooler under the bench seat...just no room.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm 

aguyindallas wrote:
storing them is a problem for me. Remember...I have a sub box on each side of my cooler under the bench seat...just no room.

Roll up, place under front seats? I know you got a ton of crap there too. I agree, just thinking about it, sure would be nice to have.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:04 pm 

impulse wrote:
chrisvs wrote:

Yeah, I think this is one of those extras that I probably wouldn't use that much, but when things get rough I'd be greatful to have it. For example: About 15 min after this picture was taken we got rained on like no other. We could tell it was coming but we were miles and miles from "home". Put the bimini up which helped some but dang it was brutal.

This has happened to us as well. Another reason we wanted to get a cuddie. Problem solved. But actually our first boat (91 FW 170 Freedom) had something like what you are talking about and it came in very handy.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:56 am 
wkearney99

Even when you have a bigger boat, it's still a hassle to store the canvas panels. That and visibility through clear vinyl, frankly, sucks. Enough that I'm about to shell out about $2k to have some hard plastic panels made to replace my vinyl ones.

There have been times where I found it was better to wear a raincoat and use some safety glasses instead. Just plain old clear safety glasses from the Home Despot, the sporty wraparound type. Full canvas does shield you better if the temperature is colder. But for a sudden downpour while on the trip home it's often less hassle to just get out the coat and glasses, while everyone else goes below.

Any decent canvas place should be able to come out and take measurements for some custom panels. $200 to $300 per-panel for a three-piece section would seem about right.