www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:00 am 
Sierra

I finally got around to getting a mat for my swim platform, something I've wanted since buying the boat. Up until now I have always had a carpet runner on the platform when dockside or at anchor. I never run with it on the platform and did not want snaps protruding from the deck. Based on the weight and form of this mat it is not going anywhere when the boat is idle.

I am completely thrilled with what I got. The most challenging part of the process was making the template because of the unique shape of the swim platform on the V358 - it took about an hour an a half. This is the Ultra Teak AquaMat from Corinthian Carpet with a vinyl backing they call 'AquaLoc' that appears to be very durable and clearly a better alternative to the backing of Four Winns' factory carpet. The construction is excellent and the fit is perfect based on the template I provided. Nick, who has posted here before, provided excellent service and was able to turn the job around very quickly, although their processing time will vary depending on the size of the order, how many orders they are processing and availability of the specific carpet. I know from my discussions with Nick that the Ultra Teak is in high demand.

The product sells for $9/square foot for everything. In this case, my order was 48 sf (12 x 4) for a total cost of $432.
I'll keep you posted on how it holds up, but based on my experience so far, I can recommend Nick and his product without hesitation.

Last edited by Sierra on Thu May 13, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:31 am 
wkearney99

Oooo, fancy lookin!

I'll utter my typical complaint... where ya gonna store that thing when underway?

Still, it's VERY nice looking.

What's the tie-down eye for, near the shore power door?

I plan on making a template for my carpets this week. The old ones are just way too dry-rotted to even think about putting back into the boat. The interior ones down below are still in decent shape, thankfully. But are starting to feel like the backing is drying out.

You did your cockpit carpets too, right? How'd it all turn out? Happy with how the striping lined up? If they've already got templates it'd save me a lot of work.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:20 am 
Sierra

wkearney99 wrote:
where ya gonna store that thing when underway?

Bill! I'm shocked you would ask such a thing!! I'm already used to stowing my runner when underway. Obviously this is bulkier but on balance worth the extra work. With a lot of passengers I'll just put it below.
Quote:
What's the tie-down eye for, near the shore power door?

I that's where the standoff from my Weaver Lever (engine mount on the dinghy) attaches.
Quote:
I plan on making a template for my carpets this week.

Don't. Send your old carpets in and they'll duplicate them exactly. If you are making any changes you can add the templates. Obviously it will be cheaper to not do that but it's a lot less work and will be done precisely.
Quote:
You did your cockpit carpets too, right?

Not yet. Mine are still good as new on the carpet side. The backing of one of them is already starting to decay so, if I hold onto the boat beyond this season, it will be on the list. Probably cheaper to get the FW carpet but this backing is definitely superior and, IMHO, worth it.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:16 am 
email admin your custom rank

That looks great, unfortunately Corinthian marine doesnt carry the teak pattern carpet anylonger. I called them on Friday to order the template from them and they gave me the bad news. He said it wasnt a big mover for them so they are not carrying it. That sucks because I was ready to order mine.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:40 am 
Sierra

drballard33 wrote:
That looks great, unfortunately Corinthian marine doesnt carry the teak pattern carpet anylonger. I called them on Friday to order the template from them and they gave me the bad news. He said it wasnt a big mover for them so they are not carrying it. That sucks because I was ready to order mine.

Huh. That is too bad and surprising. I was told they were running out of it when I ordered mine and, as I mentioned, got the impression it was very popular. Checking their site I now see they only have a 'pewter' color in the teak pattern.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:11 am 

yep, he told me they had just sold the last of it and they would not be getting anymore in. Its too bad because I had finally saved up some money for it. Snap in carpet.com has it but only in 6 foot wide lengths so the lines would run length wise from port to starboard, I was kind of hoping for them running aft to stern but oh well.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:43 pm 

drballard33 wrote:
yep, he told me they had just sold the last of it and they would not be getting anymore in. Its too bad because I had finally saved up some money for it. Snap in carpet.com has it but only in 6 foot wide lengths so the lines would run length wise from port to starboard, I was kind of hoping for them running aft to stern but oh well.

I wouldn't think that you should buy the teak pattern if you can't have the lines run bow to stern.. It wouldn't look right. I'm no Martha Stewart but just imagining it doesn't paint a nice picture.

Can you make it in pieces some how?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:16 pm 
Sierra

drballard33 wrote:
he told me they had just sold the last of it and they would not be getting anymore in. Its too bad because I had finally saved up some money for it.

I just got some clarification on the availability of the teak style from Nick at Corinthian...
Quote:
Unfortunately, we have run out of Teak, due more to popular demand, than low demand. We are in the process of developing a new Teak style, but that old style requires a production minimum of 3000 square yards, which is more than we want to produce at this time. The new teak product is slotted for a release date of 6/20.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm 

yeah, I would not want the lines runnig sideways either which is why I was going to say no to it, but if they are going to bring it back in June I guess I will wait, I wish the guy I spoke with on Friday told me that, thanks for getting the additional info!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:59 pm 
wkearney99

Just eff'ing great. Too damn many things to do and just when I get around to dealing with the carpet they RUN OUT OF IT. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:43 pm 

Sierra wrote:
wkearney99 wrote:
Quote:
I plan on making a template for my carpets this week.

Don't. Send your old carpets in and they'll duplicate them exactly. If you are making any changes you can add the templates. Obviously it will be cheaper to not do that but it's a lot less work and will be done precisely.
Quote:

Be careful about sending in your old carpets as the pattern because they might shrink. I did this for my motor yacht's swim platform and when I got the new carpet back, it didn't fit. Granted, it probably shrank more than the ordinary carpet because it was always wet due to having it snapped on while under way but it did shrink nonetheless. I should have just made the pattern using the old carpet before it shrank. That was a waste of money.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:46 am 
Seahorse

wkearney99 wrote:
Just eff'ing great. Too damn many things to do and just when I get around to dealing with the carpet they RUN OUT OF IT. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

Sorry about the delay in response everyone--We've been super busy and I haven't had a minute to get on here. Yes, unfortunately, R2861 Ultra Collection 'Teak' has been dropped. We are rapidly in the process of manufacturing a replacement product and hope to have that offered in late June (although its release date is no guarantee). We still do have the R2893 Ultra Collection 'Pewter' available. It's identical in pattern to the Teak; however, a grey/silver color. It's widely used in Formula boats. As soon as we have a replacement for the Teak pattern, I will definitely post that info on this forum! As always, feel free to PM or e-mail me with any questions or concerns. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:05 pm 
Seahorse

[/quote]
Be careful about sending in your old carpets as the pattern because they might shrink. I did this for my motor yacht's swim platform and when I got the new carpet back, it didn't fit. Granted, it probably shrank more than the ordinary carpet because it was always wet due to having it snapped on while under way but it did shrink nonetheless. I should have just made the pattern using the old carpet before it shrank. That was a waste of money.[/quote]

A very good point--Some of those old carpets can have a rubber backing that is notorious for shrinking and/or stretching. The best fitting carpets are made from templates of non-stretchable plastic or paper.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 pm 

Can the carpet be left on the boat while underway if there are snaps on it or will it shrink?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 pm 

drballard33 wrote:
Can the carpet be left on the boat while underway if there are snaps on it or will it shrink?

I had the cheap rubber backing that Corinthian was referring to but as long as I left the carpet snapped in place, it did not shrink. Once I removed it though and let it dry out, it would shrink and I would have to stretch it in order to snap it back on the swim platform. The swim platform carpet is a nice touch for the classier boats but it would be too much for my 298 Vista. Also, expect it to get wet while underway so you won't be able to sit on the swim platform with your feet dangling in the water unless you have your swimsuit on.