www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have had it with the clearing the pitot tube crap, and need a gps anyway for larger and unfamiliar lake trips so I was wondering if there are gps speedometers that are designed to fit in the dash where the current speedo gauge is located? I just dont want further clutter and wires. I don't need anything fancy as far as mapping, and could just go with a speed reading alone. I saw something especially designed for fast boats - but it listed at $400.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:23 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I was actually thinking the same thing today! I can't think of any on the market. The simple solution I used before Perfect-Pass was just a hand-help walking/biking GPS, set to a navigation mode that would show the speed in big numbers (Garmin Etrex, about 3 years ago). I still use that in the boat as a simple GPS-map for night time boating. Surely some of these hand-helds can be loaded with lake maps and such.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:50 pm 
Dolphin

http://www.velocitek.com/products/speedpuck

Still it's 339 (close to that 4 bill mark but a lil. better) I like this idea alot (I've kept an ancient gps in the boat for a speedo and if I get BAD lost it will-eventually- get me home...). What amazes me is there are (free) apps for gps speedo apps for cell phones but no one makes a "reasonably priced" gauge.

Anyway, please keep us posted on your search as some of us would like this too (my speedo hasn't worked for a while) and I'm with you.....Cure the problem rather than keep having to fix the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:56 am 
Whatever

Speed Puck looks cool, I would not pay more than $50 for what it has to offer!!

I am a garmin GPS fan, have 5 of them floating around the house, for biking, hiking, jeeping, boating, road trips, ect....

My latest and so far my favorite for boating / jeeping is the Nuvi 550. They sell for approx $255 on amazon.com
so many uses and just over half the price of something that only has one use.

Goto garmin.com and check out there line up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:38 am 
Shark

I was looking for something as well. I found this on the Perfect pass site a week ago. this one is 329.00. not sure if that is a good price or not

http://www.perfectpass.com/images/preci ... onStar.pdf

Matt

2005 Horizon 200 LE - Volvo Penta 5.0GXi 270

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:22 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Awesome! A little pricy in my book, but has potential for lots of boaters!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 pm 

No idea of the cost, but came across this on the web and apparently it "works every time" for those pesky pitot issues:

http://www.speedoclear.com/

I like the Precision Star idea - just need it to come down in price....I currently rely on my Garmin fish finder which I have mounted on my dash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 am 

These would be great as standard equipment on boats and toss the pitot tubes. My speedometer is useless below 25 mph. I have my fishfinder set on gauges mode so I can use that for my new speed. It's not as fancy as the PerfectPass systems, but at least I know how fast I'm going now.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:10 pm 

I like the Perfect Pass because of its right size and shape and speed display, but that costs too much. It also should (especially with that pricetag) have an option to display a 2D image of your location. My $100 TomTom shows speed and map location, etc. It's only problem is that its square and the speed display is small. I think I'll wait for someone to develop a better and cheaper in dash gps speedo. It blows my mind that there aren't dozens of companies producing these for in dash installation, considering the huge amount of portable/mountable units out there. Who wants to add extra clutter with a mounted square or rectangular box on top of their dash?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:01 pm 
This one isn't bad, at $259, it looks just like a standard Speedo and can be customized to meet your fonts, backlighting and style, maybe the manufacturer would customize the range down from 120mph :cry:

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-861.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:51 pm 

SMLBound wrote:
This one isn't bad, at $259, it looks just like a standard Speedo and can be customized to meet your fonts, backlighting and style, maybe the manufacturer would customize the range down from 120mph :cry:

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-861.htm

Looks pretty slick!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:13 pm 
Villiage Idiot

WOW! that is slick. I can see that little number going into my '69 Mustang!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:07 pm 

Hi

I must say, the speedometer gauges look great!!! But, a GPS unit will do the same thing and more!!! Or what I should say it depends on were you do you're boating. I have been lost in the fog or entered unfamiliar waters. Knowing were you are could save your life and you're boat. I will not leave the slip without one. They can be tied into you're VHF, as you call for help, it will send out you're position.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:46 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
Hi

I must say, the speedometer gauges look great!!! But, a GPS unit will do the same thing and more!!! Or what I should say it depends on were you do you're boating. I have been lost in the fog or entered unfamiliar waters. Knowing were you are could save your life and you're boat. I will not leave the slip without one. They can be tied into you're VHF, as you call for help, it will send out you're position.

Paul

Yes, I have a GPS - and I need and use it for location/if I am lost, etc. I do not really have room for the GPS unit on my dash, nor do I want to add anything on the dashtop, or in the cockpit area - I don't like the cluttered look and feel of attached extra stuff. Knowing that GPS technology gives accurate speed readings, I thought a simple, large enough to read easily at a glance, GPS derived speedo display that would fit seamlessly in the speedo gauge opening in the dash would be nice. I just don't understand why there isn't a cheap, easy to install unit available right now. All it would need is the speed display - how expensive or difficult should that be? Hell, you can get a Tom Tom for less than a $100, and it has a ton of features that wouldn't be used for this application. It would dispense with any need for the old pitot tube technology and all of it's headaches and inaccuracies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:06 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I'm curious if the near future holds manufacturers ditching the pitot, and going to GPS speedo. Less maint, and not much difference in cost.... unless you boat in a river/current.