www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:27 am 
ShanMan

Who has a grill on their boat? Where did you attach it? How do you like it? Photos would be great too!

Overton's has a nice stainless for about $200 that seems decent.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:03 am 
Andiamo

ShanMAn, I have 2 Magma grills. The 1st one I bought for the 268 vista was the big rectangular one and I mounted it using the "Rod Holder" mount. Since the Vista really has no good place to mount a flush mounted rod holder, I placed 2 SS rail mounted rod holders on the railing above the lazarette hatch on the transom, and when we used the grill I just slid the mount on the grill into the rod holder and it worked great! The problem with this was that it was too big and heavy to keep installed while running the boat, so we had to remove it after cooking and the only place it could be stowed out of the way was the aft cabin, and that got to be a real pain in the neck. We now only use it if we plan to grill out and have a large crowd on the boat.

We then wound up buying the Magma round kettle type grill! That has worked out Great for us. I mounted it on the same rail, but instead of a rod mount, used the rail mount, and I keep it installed there all season. I can run the boat in all kinds of conditions and it stays put, and I can close the boat up with the camper canvas with the grill still mounted. We have used it to cook for up to 5 folks easily. After 3 seasons it still cooks nice and evenly and we absolutely love it. We had out 1st BBQ of the season this past Saturday evening with 4 of us on board watching the sun set in the NY harbor!

Also, I bought the MAgma cover for it, and it has really kept it looking good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:36 am 
Narwhal

Here's a great thread on store bought and crafted grills over at ABC:

http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/283830/page/3#Post283830

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:01 pm 
AGE < LOA

Giaccamo,

Did you get this?
http://www.tackletogo.com/mamakechba.html

I think it's what you're describing. I'd like to pick one up for the back of the vista and mount it on the grab rail behind the rear seat on the 248. Then, it would come out over the swim platform. Is that mount strong enough when the grill is full of charcoal to hold up? Last thing I would want to do is dump hot coals on the swim platform!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:24 pm 
Andiamo

mk, That is exactyly the set up I have. Same Grille and same mount that I have on the grab rail. There is no charcoal. It works with the 2lb propane tanks. It is definitely strong enough since I keep it mounted all season and run in rough water with no problem. Then only thing I had to do was to insert a plastic spacer around the chrome rail about 1" wide to get the mount to grab tight enough without scratching the railing itself. Also get the MAgma cover. It keeps the grille looking good, and more important IMHO, it keeps the dirt off the swim platform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:15 pm 
AGE < LOA

ok, it appears there are two versions and then a combined version. one is charcoal only, the other (what you must have) is propane, then they offer a combined propane and charcoal. Thanks for the tip about the cover!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:26 am 
ShanMan

Is there a drip pan somewhere? Where does all of that stuff go?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:38 am 
Andiamo

Yes, there is a drip pan built in. ANything that the drip opan does not catch, I just hose off the swim platform.