www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:02 pm 
wkearney99

We've got a 348 vista and I'm looking for ways to mount a Magma Newport BBQ grill (their medium-sized rectangular one, not the kettle). The rear rail on the 348 is recessed slightly, enough that the regular Magma rail mounts do not work on it. That and it leaves the grill pretty close to the gelcoat and rear bench seat vinyl.

I'm thinking about using a table pedestal on the swim platform. The 2005 and later 348's have their platform molded right into the hull, it's not a bolt-on addition. I can get to the platform underside from within the engine compartment. So any holes I might be making here would lead into the bilge area. I'm hesitant to consider the sort of mounts the regular tables use; the sort that put a 3-4" hole and screws into the deck for a recessed mount. Garelick makes a quick-release pedestal that would only require putting four bolts through to hold down the ring. The ring is about 3/8" tall and doesn't seem like it'll introduce any footing problems.

There's not a lot of room for other solutions like rod holders as the rear of the gunwales appear to have the engine vents directly under them. The only other place that seems like it might work would be to put a handle above the door for the shore power hookup. Then I could use the typical rail mounts on it.

Anyone got a rectangular (NOT kettle) grill mounted on their 348?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:38 am 
268 Vista

This is a different grill and set up than your 348, but this may give you an idea or two. This is on a 258 Vista. I hope Duke doesn't mind that I used his picture for an example. He made it himself.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:12 am 
wkearney99

The folks at Four Winns customer service got back to me. Not only with part numbers, but also with a picture that includes a ruler to help gauge scale:

How's that for customer service?

Took 'em about a week, but for accurate answers sometimes you gotta expect a bit of a delay. Now to see how long the dealer takes to get prices, let alone delivery...

Anyone have a favorite Four Winns dealer known for being 'reasonable' on parts and mail ordering? PM me if you'd prefer. I'm not dissatisfied with my dealer, I just want to keep prices at a reasonably competitive level. I certainly value having local service (well, if you consider 20 miles away in Baltimore local). But it never hurts to shop around a bit.

I'm going to eye up how the top rail would look. The curved end might work better from a 'safety' perspective. I'll figure it out today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:46 pm 
268 Vista

That's excellent customer service for sure. Glad it worked out for you. Sorry the pic I posted was of no help. Just thought I would try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:05 pm 
wkearney99

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
That's excellent customer service for sure. Glad it worked out for you. Sorry the pic I posted was of no help. Just thought I would try.

Heh, no worries, it's not like you were being drowned out by suggestions from others, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:52 am 
268 Vista

wkearney99 wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:

Heh, no worries, it's not like you were being drowned out by suggestions from others, right?

Yep. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:38 am 
wkearney99

Unfortunately those handles won't fit. They're too long. The area above the shore power locker on the 348 will only handle someting between 15" to 18" in length. So hopefully Four Winns will let me know if they've got something inbetween those lengths.

Customer support does usually come up with really helpful answers, it just takes at least a week between sending a message and getting a reply. Meanwhile there's barbeque time being missed!