www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:55 am 
Clownfish

Well broke down and ordered a platform from Four Winns. I received it about a week ago and went to install it today and I was very upset at the fit of the platform. There is a large 1 7/16" gap at the back and it does not fit around the back rub rail very good. Also the wood core does not go to the edge. It sets back about 2 1/2" leaving unsupported fiberglass that could break if someone steps on it just right. There is clearly an area for the left support under the platform because you can see the added thickness of an additional wood core layer but on the right side where the ladder locker is at is where I'm assuming the other support goes. The thickness there is only a single wood core. I was sent s.s. pan head screws to screwing the supports to the boat and the platform. The screws will go right through the underside of the locker with the points going through the gel coat.

Has anyone else purchased a Four Winns platform for their boat and did it have the same fit issues?

Eric
Link to pictures of platform fit.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1166654283 ... ca8i-LjYw#

Last edited by elmwood on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:10 am 
email admin your custom rank

Yes when I put mine on my sundowner it was the same fit, I also had the same problem with the screws. I went and bought me as screws. I had no issues after I installed it

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:59 am 

I think I would return that with refund.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:52 pm 
Clownfish

Mike (acguy) Did you have the same large gaps at the edges? The screws they sent with the platform are 1" long. It will work on the left side of the platform since they added extra wood but on the ladder locker there is only a single piece of wood. The screws would go through the gel coat. I'd have to switch to a 3/4" screw and when pre-drilling I'd add a stop collar to the bit so I would not go through the gel coat.

I'm wanting to take a dremel tool to the edges of the platform around the rub rail and grind it down to fit that areas shape. It would then allow the platform to close the gap along the back edge and sit up against the boat. I just don't know enough about fiberglass to know if I need to seal the edge after grinding. I don't know what to use if I have to do that. I know fiberglass can absorb water.

Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:55 am 

Wow...I would return it also. I just had a platform installed but it is not like yours that covers the existing one. Ours attached to the stern. Our fit and finish is amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:01 pm 
Clownfish

Wet Doggg
Who did you get your platform from? Is that a Four Winns or another companies. It doesn't look like a swimplatform.com one.

Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 pm 

Take it back mate. That is no where need a good fit. Sure minor adjustments needed, but that is crazy.

Fellas, when the bottom of the brace is applied on the stern, are they bolted or screwed? If bolted, is there access to the inside of the hull?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:27 pm 

elmwood wrote:
Wet Doggg
Who did you get your platform from? Is that a Four Winns or another companies. It doesn't look like a swimplatform.com one.

Eric

Bought from Four Winns. It is the OEM version if ordered as an option when the boat was new. The swimplatform.com version does not even come close to this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:27 pm 

Giffo wrote:
Take it back mate. That is no where need a good fit. Sure minor adjustments needed, but that is crazy.

Fellas, when the bottom of the brace is applied on the stern, are they bolted or screwed? If bolted, is there access to the inside of the hull?

Mine were screwed...all the ones I have seen are the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:39 pm 

Wet Doggg wrote:
Giffo wrote:

Mine were screwed...all the ones I have seen are the same way.

Anyone know what thickness the stern is? What sealer do you guys use?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:39 pm 
Clownfish

I've added more pictures on the original link.

Giffo, the one I have from Four Winns the braces are the same as what Wet Doggg has. Mine are supposed to mount in the same location as Wet Dogg's. This area on my 258V is not accessible. For screws I found a reference to drill a larger hole, get a screw and wax it really good. Fill the hole with epoxy and when dry unscrew the screw. Now you have a threaded hole for the screw. Fill with 3M 4200 or 5200 and put the same behind the plate that’s against the boat. Now you have a water proof hole.

Wet Doggg, the one difference is that your year had an optional platform and they could make a good mold since they have the boat there at the factory. There was not an option for a extended platform for my boat. I bought from Four Winns because I thought it would be a good fit and I liked the idea of one flat surface and not having to step down on the platforms. This does show that they can do a good job when they have the boat there and make a custom fit mold for the platform. BTW really sharp looking boat and the platform is really nice.

I have an email with the pics to the factory and waiting for a response. I had better have one tomorrow or by the afternoon I will call.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 am 

Thanks Eric for the info. Will put up a thread once I get mine of the install!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 pm 

elmwood wrote:
I've added more pictures on the original link.

Giffo, the one I have from Four Winns the braces are the same as what Wet Doggg has. Mine are supposed to mount in the same location as Wet Dogg's. This area on my 258V is not accessible. For screws I found a reference to drill a larger hole, get a screw and wax it really good. Fill the hole with epoxy and when dry unscrew the screw. Now you have a threaded hole for the screw. Fill with 3M 4200 or 5200 and put the same behind the plate that’s against the boat. Now you have a water proof hole.

Wet Doggg, the one difference is that your year had an optional platform and they could make a good mold since they have the boat there at the factory. There was not an option for a extended platform for my boat. I bought from Four Winns because I thought it would be a good fit and I liked the idea of one flat surface and not having to step down on the platforms. This does show that they can do a good job when they have the boat there and make a custom fit mold for the platform. BTW really sharp looking boat and the platform is really nice.

I have an email with the pics to the factory and waiting for a response. I had better have one tomorrow or by the afternoon I will call.

Eric

Thank you for the compliment. Good luck with your issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:07 am 

Note that 3M 5200 is stronger holding than 4200 !!

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 5507-1.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:09 pm 

elmwood wrote:

Eric...any update?