www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:36 am 
Minnow

Walt wrote:
Something else I picked up about using the tower for storage. Besides the wakeboards being nicely stowed for show, and you can get the "fingers" for about anything.... water skiis, kneeboards (I have one, even though NOBODY kneeboards anymore, right??). etc thru DIY Wake. You can get those bimini clips, and put towels everywhere for additional shade. We also wrap the ski vests around the tower supports. This way they are out of the way. If they are wet, they drip outside the windscreen, dry nicely and stay secure as you drive around. They are typically dry before getting back on the trailer and put away for the week.

A kneeboard came with my boat and I can't get anyone to give it a try.

2003 four winns funship 214

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have the FW wake board tower and love it for the high bimini, skiing, wakeboarding and tubing; plus it just looks cool. One problem not mentioned so far is getting under bridges. The stock tower can be lowered with considerable difficulty for winter storage but is not meant to be lowered while on the water. On Lake Norman NC there are several low bridges so this means I cannot go to a few restaurants located on the side creeks when the lake is full.
I saw a Cobalt at the Mid-Atlantic Boat Show this year that had a tower with gas assists that a small woman (my wife) could lower by herself. That will be on my next boat (in 10 to 15 years).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:04 pm 
Shark

After trip one, of dealing with a tube that was MUCH bigger than I anticipated, and only one ski, the Tower is starting to sound better and better. I can't even imagine where I would have put the Wakeboard when that purchase is made!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:37 pm 
Dolphin

Like anything else it depends on you intended usage, for me backing int the garage, and better access for fishing was more important to me than pi$$ing off the rest of the lake with tower mounted speakers, the stereo an flush mounted speakers are enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 pm 
Shark

Waked Up wrote:
Like anything else it depends on you intended usage, for me backing int the garage, and better access for fishing was more important to me than pi$$ing off the rest of the lake with tower mounted speakers, the stereo an flush mounted speakers are enough for me.

No tower speakers for me...it is completely about storage....family of 5 has a lot of toys! Sometimes I think I hamper on our own families fun with my concern about making sure I am not disrupting others with our "joy".

off topic about pi$$ing people off, we were anchored in a narrow canyon yesterday, which was a little bit of a challenge with the wind, but we were just minding our own business, and a fishing boat comes out of the canyon, and slows as he passes, but goes at a speed that produces bigger wakes than if he would have just gone speeding by. I am only two days into the boating life so to speak, and even I know that producing as little wake as possible past an anchored boat is common sense. I would have been pi$$ed if he would have made us lose our anchor hold!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:57 am 

You need to do whats right for you. The tower really won't add value, but make for a faster resale.

I like adding a fishing\radar arch, no wakeboarding for me. It gives me a place to put my poles, VHF ant., dock lights, anchor light and radar dome. It keeps the poles safe and out of the way!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:41 pm 
Sting Ray

Walt wrote:
If you have the option between the (aft) Tower and (forward) Arch; I like the look of the arch a little better, but I spent some time with one of our previous forum members that had an arch (your boat, tanker toad). I didn't care for the arch/bimini integration, as it seemed to conflict with the ski rope. That's just not the case with the tower.

I agree about the bimini conflicting with the ski rope, I usually stow the aft section of the bimini when skiing or boarding, the front section of the bimini is almost 4 feet wide by itself, so there is still plenty of shade.

The tower also helps pull slalom skiiers out easier

2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4
2010 Tahoe LT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:15 pm 
Shark

So now the $$$ question.....$2850 Installed w/ board racks.....good deal? I have no reason to think otherwise, as the gang at Liquid Wrenches in Livermore have been absolutely AWESOME to deal with since day one......

Standard Tower.....not the $4K one from FourWinns.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:15 pm 

Maybe too late for your decision, but yes that's a very fair price. The racks themselves are pricey. It takes your boat from a station wagon to a sporty SUV. You will love it.....and makes learning to ski, kneeboard or wakeboard much easier since u r pulling them up not through the wawa.

Makes manuever with rope much easier too. We still like kneeboarding....have been using same kiddy kneeboard for 13 years. Has speed racer on it...my kid is now 15 and I'm 235 lbs and pop right up with the tower.

Mine is reverse arch and doesn't fold. Barn is getting built this month with 11 foot door height....tired of renting storage space.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 pm 
Shark

Not too late! Went out to the lake on Monday with two wakeboards, a ski and a tube...WE NEED A TOWER!

So...new questions....what is the benefit of the reverse arch compared to the standard Tower? Which one would still provide the largest Bimini Cover? Seems like Reverse. That cover is a big deal with the kids and Granny!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 am 
Shark

I bought my tower not to long after we bought our boat in 06. I love how much room we gained from having it. My Wife, nephew and I board, so it's nice to be able to have 3 boards on the boat and not have them in the way. This allows us to have more people on board for that extra ballast! The dealer that put my tower on also modified the bimini so I could use it under the tower. You can see in my pics below. I have a Skylon tower and love it. http://www.skylonsports.com/wakeboard-towers.html. It's the Xtreme Classic Wakeboard Tower.
Matt

2005 Horizon 200 LE - Volvo Penta 5.0GXi 270

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:11 pm 

There are advantages to both....both are good looking on the boat but I think the arch is really sharp looking.....I have the Bimini that extends under the tower. It is a little more work to deploy since I have to lower poles all way then raise them back up again....four poles,but not too much a pain.

The arch gives more unobstructed view at the helm since the vertical supports are behind you, but trade off is those same poles are in your way when trying to get at something at midship on either side.

Any mirror must be mounted to windshield on arch tower since no vertical bars for mounting....not a prob with standard tower. Of course I prefer a window frame mount mirror since it doesn't shake.

The arch seems sturdier for sure, but it doesn't fold unless you unbolt from boat.

Long story short....best bang for buck is tower over the arch, which is very expensive. Mine came with arch or I wouldnt have spent money for it over the tower.

Fyi the Bimini under the tower means any speakers must either b mounted low and inside or on outside of tower....will look like mouse ears....that's my hold up with speakers. I gotta have Bimini with temps banging at 100 in august...we stay out all day too...I would die without top.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 pm 

By the way you sound like me...two wakeboards...two kneeboards....set of skis...tube and sometimes a trampoline tube tied on platform....ice chest for drinks...chest for snacks and bla bla bla.

I'm going to buy two combo (wakeboard and kneeboard) racks this winter...then all four boards go on tower...skis in floor with tube...small chest under mid seat in back for snacks...second chest with cupholders on floor (doubles as footrest)...plenty room for 6 or so in boat..this is our usual trip size.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Shark

Very cool insight. I will probably go with the tower. I boat occasionally in the Delta, and there are some bridges that when the tide is in, the tower would need to be folded down to get under. Not often, but often enough.

The big test is going to be this week. have a Houseboat rented Wed-Sun, so the boat is going to get full use for 4 days, and many "visitors" coming up for the day, so by the time this is done, it should put us in the frame of mind that the money would be extremely well spent on a tower.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 pm 

Also...I haven't found the Bimini to cause any prob with using tower or arch....not sure what those comments are about. You just need to attach rope to knob before deploying Bimini so u can reach it.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi