www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trim tab experience
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:08 pm 
Shark

Anyone have any experience installing or using trim tabs on a Horizon 200 or there about? How do they differ from using the trim?

Post subject: Re: Trim tab experience
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 am 
Mental Floss

The trim on the outdrive is mainly used to increase the efficiency of the engine. That is, making sure the thrust of the props is parallel with the water surface and energy is not being used to push the boat out of the water, but rather push it forward. The trim will also allow you to change the bow attitude and smooth the ride a bit in choppy water or in a following sea.

Trim tabs are a whole different animal when it comes to their ability to adjust the attitude of your boat. Not only can you aggressively change the bow attitude if you like( in addition to the change using engine trim), you can control the port/starboard listing unlike just engine trim. If you have an uneven load in your boat and you are listing a bit to port while on plane, trim tabs allow you to correct this. This correction also adds efficiency so you are using less fuel as opposed to running with a list to port or starboard. I've found that a port/starboard list is more common on smaller boats because of the limited seating and the general weight of a passenger relative to the weight/buoyancy of the boat.

Another big advantage trim tabs afford is helping to get on plane. if you are towing a tube or have a bunch of people on board, adding some tab when getting on plane helps the stern lift out of the hole and achieve plane faster.

Bennett has a good explanation on their website http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/tabsdo.htm

I didn't have tabs on my 205 Sundowner or my 170 Freedom and would ask passengers to move around. Tabs on the 248 Vista I had and the 288 Vista I have now puts me in control. Everyone can sit where they like. If I have a heavy load in the stern (everyone sitting back there) a little tab will help getting on plane if needed.

Installing trim tabs can be an easy or difficult task depending on the access to the transom and helm. You basically drill a small hole in the transom at the mounting location for each trim tab. This is for the hydraulic line for the tab. You will have to find a suitable mounting spot in the engine space for the hydraulic pump. Then run the control wires to the helm and mount the tab control panel. it's not complicated, but can be a bit challenging getting to where you need to be to access the tabs and pump. Again, it all depends on layout.

If you are interested in Tabs, I would highly recommend Bennett. Their customer service is the best out there. Call them and talk with them as to which model you would need for your boat. They will know what size (needed surface area of the tab control surface) and where on the transom they should be mounted to be the most effective. Those that have Lenco tabs have had good things to say about them as well. The difference, Bennet uses a hydraulic ram and Lenco uses an electric ram.

I just opened an online store and even though I don't have any tabs listed right now, I am able to get Bennett, Lenco and Boat Leveler trim tabs. If your interested, I'd be happy to give you a price on a setup.

I hope the info helps you decide.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:17 pm 
Shark

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the lenco as no hydrolyics.
However not sure with the hull "sponsons" where the tabs would fit.
Also, does anyone have them on a 200 Horizon know how slow you
can go and still maintain a plane?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

When using tabs, where/when do you use/keep the trim on the outdrive? Do you find you can leave the outdrive in a fairly "neutral" position and use the tabs, or are you adjusting 3 things?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I think an entire book could be written on using trim tabs. Here is how I typically use mine.

First, the 240H with a 5.7Gi and duoprop does not need tabs to get out of the water onto plane. (On a heavier/underpowered boat they are very much more useful for that) I trim the drive in -- get onto plane -- then trim the dirve out per what is needed at the speed I want to travel and the boat load. I then use tabs to compensate for side to side loads -- or water conditions. If I am taking waves off a particular side and getting a slapping or spray - I will use the tabs to raise or lower one side of the boat and minimize that. If I want to plane at a very slow speed, then I also use the tabs. I also put them down when idling in a "no wake" zone. First you can travel a bit quicker and have less wake with the tabs down. second it helps minimize (not eleminate --but minimize) the side to side wander that boats often have so you have to do less steering at idle speed.

After a while their use becomes intuitive and not something you have to spend any time deciding. "how do I do this or that" -- you just reach down and tap the tab switch and accomplish what is desired/

While this is not a full book on how to use them. I do think this will illustrate some different uses.
I would not own a decent sized boat without them.